Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default New Bandsaw - question

On 5/24/2020 5:48 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 24 May 2020 07:46:17 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 9:37:07 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I've finally gotten my new bandsaw (Laguna 18bx) on its feet and put
together (KungFlu furlough gives me time to practice being retired
;-). Everything seems to be right with the world (no sawdust yet) but
there is a clicking as the weld crosses the guide blocks. Is this
normal or do I have the blocks set too tight/close? It seems to be
coming from the upper blade edge guide. I'm not playing with an
expensive blade yet, rather a no-name 1/2" from Highland.

Thanks for any help. The bandsaw is a new adventure.

Have you mic'd the weld?

No, I don't have a micrometer. I'll have to get one. I normally use
(Imperial) dial calipers. The batteries in digital calipers are
always dead when I need it so gave up on them.

I have 2 WoodSlicer blades, A 3/8" installed and a 1/2" still in the paper,
which I unwrapped just for you. ;-)

Thanks. Even I didn't unwrap the more expensive blades. Trying to
play with the cheaper blade.

Using my digital calipers, I read a 5-10 thousands of an inch difference
at various spots on the blade, including the weld. In fact, in the 1/2"
or so where the weld has been filed smooth, some spots are 5/1000 thinner
than other spots on the blades. In other words, certainly no lump.

But the noise is as it crosses the rear block, not the side blocks. It
has to be the back edge of the blade causing the problem (or I have it
set riding too hard on the block).

Even without an actual lump, a bad weld could cause the clicking. If the
blade is not "flat" at the weld, but instead slightly angled (imagine a
very wide V at the weld) it would not slide through the guide blocks
smoothly.

I guess a front to back blade alignment error would do it. Side to
side, they're not touching (or shouldn't be).

On my blades, the welds are essentially imperceptible. On the new blade,
which is all nice and shiny, I have to hold the blade at just the right
angle so that the light makes the weld visible. I can also tell by the
slight difference in the distance between the teeth at that point.

I can certainly see the weld. It is "filed" but it is visible
(different color, even).

We're getting overboard here...

If there's a slight bump at the back of the blade at the weld, a few
strokes with a whet stone will both reveal its presence and remove it.

If the "tick" goes away, good...if not, unless it's more than just what
I'm imagining you're describing, "so what."

If it bothers, move the guide back a smidge...it'll push against it
anyways, as soon as you make a cut and put pressure on the front of the
blade.