Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Grizzly jointers

Why would someone buy this *new* jointer at 365 pounds, when they
could have the G0490 for the same price, at 200 pounds more.
Because they had a weak back? Makes me wonder whether the days
of the G0490 are numbered..

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Griz...ile-Base/G0857
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 10:18:18 PM UTC-6, Bill wrote:
Why would someone buy this *new* jointer at 365 pounds, when they
could have the G0490 for the same price, at 200 pounds more.
Because they had a weak back? Makes me wonder whether the days
of the G0490 are numbered..

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Griz...ile-Base/G0857

I've never seen Grizzly's tools in person. Assuming from the pics (colors/paint)....

The beds' support may be aluminum, reducing the weight, compared to the G0490, which may have a cast iron beds' support. May need to be field tested, long term, to see if the lighter (if so) bed support will hold up (potential stress fractures?) as well as the cast iron.

If the mobile base is highly sufficient, then opting for the heavier tool should be, may be a better choice, I would tend to think.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/9/2019 11:18 PM, Bill wrote:
Why would someone buy this *new* jointer at 365 pounds, when they could
have the G0490 for the same price, at 200 pounds more. Because they had
a weak back? Makes me wonder whether the days of the G0490 are numbered..

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Griz...ile-Base/G0857

You'd need to be a moron to buy either when you can get one with a
spiral cutter head for a few dollars more. After owning both types, I
would never buy, on purpose, a planer or jointer w/o a segmented spiral
cutter head. The difference is night and day, but the cost, in this
case, is just $30 more.

By "on purpose" I mean I might hesitantly buy a 3 bladed model if I
needed one, and some one was selling one in perfect condition for 20
cents on a dollar, or less, and, I was short on money...

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote:
On 1/9/2019 11:18 PM, Bill wrote:
Why would someone buy this *new* jointer at 365 pounds, when
they could
have the G0490 for the same price, at 200 pounds more. Because
they had
a weak back?Â* Makes me wonder whether the days of the G0490 are
numbered..

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Griz...ile-Base/G0857

You'd need to be a moron to buy either when you can get one with
a spiral cutter head for a few dollars more.Â* After owning both
types, I would never buy, on purpose, a planer or jointer w/o a
segmented spiral cutter head. The difference is night and day,
but the cost, in this case, is just $30 more.

Point well-taken, but of course you meant to type "$300" more.

Since we are on this topic, IIRC, the "regular" carbide cutters
are not particularly cheap. But I know that in the metalworking
world, there are cutters available (on E-bay) at much less cost.
Are such "less costly" cutters available for jointers too, and
can anyone report on their performance?

By "on purpose" I mean I might hesitantly buy a 3 bladed model if
I needed one, and some one was selling one in perfect condition
for 20 cents on a dollar, or less, and, I was short on money...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/9/2019 10:18 PM, Bill wrote:
Why would someone buy this *new* jointer at 365 pounds, when they could
have the G0490 for the same price, at 200 pounds more. Because they had
a weak back?Â* Makes me wonder whether the days of the G0490 are numbered..

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Griz...ile-Base/G0857

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-8-x-76-Parallelogram-Jointer-with-Mobile-Base/G0857

only shows 24 lb difference and you don't know where that is...the
descriptions say the G0857 base cabinet is "sheet metal" while the other
is "pre-formed steel"...the only Al mentioned in either is the knife
guard is Al on the G0857 but that can't be but a pound or less at most...

Taiwan vs China is the biggest difference...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill writes:
Why would someone buy this *new* jointer at 365 pounds, when they
could have the G0490 for the same price,

15% faster cutterhead?
Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:

On 1/9/2019 10:18 PM, Bill wrote:
Why would someone buy this *new* jointer at 365 pounds, when they could
have the G0490 for the same price, at 200 pounds more. Because they had
a weak back?Â* Makes me wonder whether the days of the G0490 are numbered..

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Griz...ile-Base/G0857

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-8-x-76-Parallelogram-Jointer-with-Mobile-Base/G0857

only shows 24 lb difference and you don't know where that is...

Wot?
G0490: "Approximate shipping weight: 562 lbs."
G0857: "Approximate shipping weight: 365 lbs."
-------
= 197 lbs

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/10/2019 4:32 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:
dpb wrote:

On 1/9/2019 10:18 PM, Bill wrote:
Why would someone buy this *new* jointer at 365 pounds, when they could
have the G0490 for the same price, at 200 pounds more. Because they had
a weak back?Â* Makes me wonder whether the days of the G0490 are numbered..

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Griz...ile-Base/G0857

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-8-x-76-Parallelogram-Jointer-with-Mobile-Base/G0857

only shows 24 lb difference and you don't know where that is...

Wot?
G0490: "Approximate shipping weight: 562 lbs."
G0857: "Approximate shipping weight: 365 lbs."
-------
= 197 lbs

Shipping weight is _NOT_ machine weight...look at the comparison charts
-- I thought the previous link would reload the chart but I hadn't
checked and see it didn't...here's the data under "Product Dimensions"
tab for the two...

G0857 G0490
Weight (lbs.) 484 508

Overall Width (side-to-side) 76 76-3/8 in.

Overall Depth (front-to-back) 25 24
in.

Overall Height 41-1/2 45-1/2 in.

Footprint Width 16 16-1/2 in.

Footprint Length 40 44-1/2
in.

You can use
http://www.grizzly.com/compare?category=Jointers&preload=G0857|G0490
to preload the main comparison page for the two machines...

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:

On 1/9/2019 10:18 PM, Bill wrote:
Why would someone buy this *new* jointer at 365 pounds, when they could
have the G0490 for the same price, at 200 pounds more. Because they had
a weak back?Â* Makes me wonder whether the days of the G0490 are
numbered..

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Griz...ile-Base/G0857

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-8-x-76-Parallelogram-Jointer-with-Mobile-Base/G0857

only shows 24 lb difference and you don't know where that is...

Wot?
G0490: "Approximate shipping weight: 562 lbs."
G0857: "Approximate shipping weight: 365 lbs."
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* -------
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* = 197 lbs

Shipping weight is _NOT_ machine weight...look at the comparison charts
-- I thought the previous link would reload the chart but I hadn't
checked and see it didn't...here's the data under "Product Dimensions"
tab for the two...

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â* G0857Â*Â*Â* G0490
Weight (lbs.)Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* 484Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* 508

Overall Width (side-to-side)Â*Â* 76Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* 76-3/8 in.

Overall Depth (front-to-back)Â* 25Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* 24
in.

Overall HeightÂ*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* 41-1/2Â*Â* 45-1/2 in.

Footprint WidthÂ*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* 16Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* 16-1/2 in.

Footprint LengthÂ*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* 40Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* 44-1/2
in.

You can use
http://www.grizzly.com/compare?category=Jointers&preload=G0857|G0490
to preload the main comparison page for the two machines...

--

Didn't get the rest first try...to see where the weight difference comes
from, look at "Shipping Dimensions" tab -- the G0857 is shipped in one

But, the data can't be totally correct, either...the G0857 is supposed
to weigh 484 but the shipping weight is 7 lb less.

The numbers for the G0490 do at least come reasonable close--within 2
lbs of the "approximate" figure above but the 365 appears to just be
totally bogus.

I'd not draw any firm conclusions from any of it...about what you'd
expect from a low-cost import distributor--"cheap/inexpensive, but
precision and high attention to detail ain't what you're really expecting".

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:

I'd not draw any firm conclusions from any of it...about what
you'd expect from a low-cost import
distributor--"cheap/inexpensive, but precision and high attention
to detail ain't what you're really expecting".

But, the way I understand it, they have dominated this part of
the market with their lower "price/performance" ratio to the
point that few wish to compete with them in it. I think Baileigh
is going to try, but I don't see them advertise like Grizzly.
Could be I'm not paying attention.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/10/2019 11:26 PM, Bill wrote:
dpb wrote:

I'd not draw any firm conclusions from any of it...about what you'd
expect from a low-cost import distributor--"cheap/inexpensive, but
precision and high attention to detail ain't what you're really
expecting".

But, the way I understand it, they have dominated this part of the
market with their lower "price/performance" ratio to the point that few
wish to compete with them in it. I think Baileigh is going to try, but I
don't see them advertise like Grizzly. Could be I'm not paying attention.

While I've never had a Grizzly and actually have never seen one
firsthand, apparently they are the most consistent of the imports and
what isn't right they do fix.

The cost pressures have driven the US makers overseas as well and Delta
is only a shadow of its former self and may well be following Sears'
business model the rate they're going.

One of the Grizzly machines won both Best Overall and Best Value in last
month's Fine WW review of segmented-head 8" jointers...

Just that if price sensitivity is a major driver, there just can't be
much time spent on the details like the data accuracy of web pages--it
would be too time-consuming and take too many manhours that would
inevitably add.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/10/2019 2:16 PM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:
On 1/9/2019 11:18 PM, Bill wrote:
Why would someone buy this *new* jointer at 365 pounds, when they could
have the G0490 for the same price, at 200 pounds more. Because they had
a weak back? Makes me wonder whether the days of the G0490 are
numbered..

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Griz...ile-Base/G0857

You'd need to be a moron to buy either when you can get one with a
spiral cutter head for a few dollars more. After owning both types, I
would never buy, on purpose, a planer or jointer w/o a segmented
spiral cutter head. The difference is night and day, but the cost, in
this case, is just $30 more.

Point well-taken, but of course you meant to type "$300" more.

No, I meant $30. Surprised me as well, but I got the numbers directly
from the page you listed above, just scroll down a little:

Model: G0857 $1,295.00
Item# G0656X $1,325.00

Since we are on this topic, IIRC, the "regular" carbide cutters are not
particularly cheap. But I know that in the metalworking world, there
are cutters available (on E-bay) at much less cost. Are such "less
costly" cutters available for jointers too, and can anyone report on
their performance?

Not cheap, Grizz sells 10 packs for $40 and you would need 4 packs,
around $160. The good news is they are carbide, last a REALLY long
time, and since they have four sides you simply rotate them if they get
dull. A typical home work shop may never need to replace them, and a
commercial shop can afford to replace them. More good news is setting
the cutters is automatic, no adjustments needed. They simply screw in
and your done.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/11/2019 9:33 AM, Jack wrote:
On 1/10/2019 2:16 PM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:
On 1/9/2019 11:18 PM, Bill wrote:
Why would someone buy this *new* jointer at 365 pounds, when they could
have the G0490 for the same price, at 200 pounds more. Because they had
a weak back?Â* Makes me wonder whether the days of the G0490 are
numbered..

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Griz...ile-Base/G0857

You'd need to be a moron to buy either when you can get one with a
spiral cutter head for a few dollars more.Â* After owning both types, I
would never buy, on purpose, a planer or jointer w/o a segmented
spiral cutter head. The difference is night and day, but the cost, in
this case, is just $30 more.

Point well-taken, but of course you meant to type "$300" more.

No, I meant $30.Â* Surprised me as well, but I got the numbers directly
from the page you listed above, just scroll down a little:

Model: G0857Â* $1,295.00
Item# G0656XÂ* $1,325.00

"A" jointer, yes, but not the same jointer with the spiral head
option...the G0656X is dovetail ways, not parallelogram design.

If you also look more carefully, that's a special sale price
right now; the normal list is more like $1700.

Now, I personally don't care a whit about the two styles having had an
old 8" Delta dating from the Rockwell-Delta days and the tables are
still coplanar after some 60+ years so the scare tactics on how the
dovetails wear and drop the tables just doesn't live up to the hype for
me...

But, "Yes, Virginia", you _could_ get one for essentially the same price
right now it appears.

--dpb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/11/2019 10:50 AM, dpb wrote:
On 1/11/2019 9:33 AM, Jack wrote:
On 1/10/2019 2:16 PM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:
On 1/9/2019 11:18 PM, Bill wrote:
[...]

We must have the same jointer. Mine is about 65 years old and a 6" but
also has remained perfectly coplanar, so that seems to be not an issue.
Segmented spiral cutter however is a big issue.

But, "Yes, Virginia", you _could_ get one for essentially the same price
right now it appears.

Yes, $30 more, which is what I said. Can't imagine why anyone would buy
the other one, regardless of it's weight or fancy adjustment mechanism.
My self, I rarely to never adjust the tables other than after knife
sharpening. Even if the price was $300 more, I would not hesitate to
buy the spiral head. Worth much much more than that in performance.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/12/2019 7:24 AM, Jack wrote:
On 1/11/2019 10:50 AM, dpb wrote:
On 1/11/2019 9:33 AM, Jack wrote:
On 1/10/2019 2:16 PM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:
On 1/9/2019 11:18 PM, Bill wrote:
[...]

We must have the same jointer.Â* Mine is about 65 years old and a 6" but
also has remained perfectly coplanar, so that seems to be not an issue.
Â*Segmented spiral cutter however is a big issue.

But, "Yes, Virginia", you _could_ get one for essentially the same price
right now it appears.

Yes, $30 more, which is what I said. Can't imagine why anyone would buy
the other one, regardless of it's weight or fancy adjustment mechanism.
Â*My self, I rarely toÂ* never adjust the tables other than after knife
sharpening.Â* Even if the price was $300 more, I would not hesitate to
buy the spiral head.Â* Worth much much more than that in performance.

A) I wasn't arguing that, only that the comparison Bill made was valid,
too.

B) Just the bigger brother, yes...

I raise/lower infeed table all the time...I'm one who's still old-school
enough to actually use the rabbet table extension, taper legs, etc.,
etc, etc., ... besides just joint an edge.

I've thought a time or two about upgrading the head, but with sharp
knives I really don't find the tearout issue to be a problem...I'd far
prefer to have them on the old PM Model 180 planer, but there we are
talking "big bucks!".

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/12/2019 11:33 AM, dpb wrote:
On 1/12/2019 7:24 AM, Jack wrote:
On 1/11/2019 10:50 AM, dpb wrote:
On 1/11/2019 9:33 AM, Jack wrote:
On 1/10/2019 2:16 PM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:
On 1/9/2019 11:18 PM, Bill wrote:
[...]

I experimented with that stuff once or twice when I first got my
jointer. Decided jointer not right tool for that stuff (for me). Tapers
and rabbets I always cut on table saw. Further more, I set my out feed
table for a 1/32" cut and never change it. I know 1 pass is 1/32, two is
1/16th.

As far as coplanar, I don't believe mine is even adjustable. It was
ground coplanar at the factory and should never need adjustment, far as
I know. If it was, I would screw that up in a second.

I've thought a time or two about upgrading the head, but with sharp
knives I really don't find the tearout issue to be a problem...I'd far
prefer to have them on the old PM Model 180 planer, but there we are
talking "big bucks!".

I'd upgrade in a pair of seconds if I was just starting rather than just
ending my "career". Someone makes replacement spiral cutter heads for
most planers and jointers for not all that much money. Edge jointing not
needed much but for face jointing, a major bonus. Of course, if just
starting I wouldn't/didn't know this, which is my reason for harping on
the issue here when it comes up, possibly save someone from making that
mistake.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/12/2019 12:20 PM, Jack wrote:
On 1/12/2019 11:33 AM, dpb wrote:
On 1/12/2019 7:24 AM, Jack wrote:
On 1/11/2019 10:50 AM, dpb wrote:
On 1/11/2019 9:33 AM, Jack wrote:
On 1/10/2019 2:16 PM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:
On 1/9/2019 11:18 PM, Bill wrote:
[...]

issue.Â*Â* Segmented spiral cutter however is a big issue.

But, "Yes, Virginia", you _could_ get one for essentially the same
price
right now it appears.

Yes, $30 more, which is what I said. Can't imagine why anyone would
buy the other one, regardless of it's weight or fancy adjustment
mechanism.Â*Â* My self, I rarely toÂ* never adjust the tables other than
after knife sharpening.Â* Even if the price was $300 more, I would not
hesitate to buy the spiral head.Â* Worth much much more than that in
performance.

A)Â* I wasn't arguing that, only that the comparison Bill made was valid,
too.

B)Â* Just the bigger brother, yes...

I raise/lower infeed table all the time...I'm one who's still old-school
enough to actually use the rabbet table extension, taper legs, etc.,
etc, etc., ... besides just joint an edge.

I experimented with that stuff once or twice when I first gotÂ* my
jointer. Decided jointer not right tool for that stuff (for me).Â* Tapers
and rabbets I always cut on table saw.Â* Further more, I set my out feed
table for a 1/32" cut and never change it. I know 1 pass is 1/32, two is
1/16th.

You set your "out feed" table for 1/32" cut?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/12/2019 11:33 AM, dpb wrote:
On 1/12/2019 7:24 AM, Jack wrote:
On 1/11/2019 10:50 AM, dpb wrote:
On 1/11/2019 9:33 AM, Jack wrote:
On 1/10/2019 2:16 PM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:
On 1/9/2019 11:18 PM, Bill wrote:
[...]

In feed table.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

New Grizzly jointers Ray Durney Woodworking 7 December 28th 05 05:30 AM
Grizzly 8" Jointers Shawn Woodworking 22 November 1st 05 05:55 PM
Opinions on Grizzly Jointers? Cox West Woodworking 11 January 3rd 05 10:02 PM
Now it is Grizzly VS. Delta was...Grizzly G0444Z Question--no reply from Grizzly Jeff Woodworking 5 February 3rd 04 12:17 AM
Grizzly G0444Z Question--no reply from Grizzly Jeff Woodworking 12 January 19th 04 04:47 PM