Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Grizzly jointers

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 10:18:18 PM UTC-6, Bill wrote:
Why would someone buy this *new* jointer at 365 pounds, when they
could have the G0490 for the same price, at 200 pounds more.
Because they had a weak back? Makes me wonder whether the days
of the G0490 are numbered..

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Griz...ile-Base/G0857

I've never seen Grizzly's tools in person. Assuming from the pics (colors/paint)....

The beds' support may be aluminum, reducing the weight, compared to the G0490, which may have a cast iron beds' support. May need to be field tested, long term, to see if the lighter (if so) bed support will hold up (potential stress fractures?) as well as the cast iron.

If the mobile base is highly sufficient, then opting for the heavier tool should be, may be a better choice, I would tend to think.

Sonny