Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_91_] Bill[_91_] is offline

Default Grizzly jointers

Jack wrote:
On 1/9/2019 11:18 PM, Bill wrote:
Why would someone buy this *new* jointer at 365 pounds, when
they could
have the G0490 for the same price, at 200 pounds more. Because
they had
a weak back?Â* Makes me wonder whether the days of the G0490 are
numbered..

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Griz...ile-Base/G0857

You'd need to be a moron to buy either when you can get one with
a spiral cutter head for a few dollars more.Â* After owning both
types, I would never buy, on purpose, a planer or jointer w/o a
segmented spiral cutter head. The difference is night and day,
but the cost, in this case, is just $30 more.

Point well-taken, but of course you meant to type "$300" more.

Since we are on this topic, IIRC, the "regular" carbide cutters
are not particularly cheap. But I know that in the metalworking
world, there are cutters available (on E-bay) at much less cost.
Are such "less costly" cutters available for jointers too, and
can anyone report on their performance?

By "on purpose" I mean I might hesitantly buy a 3 bladed model if
I needed one, and some one was selling one in perfect condition
for 20 cents on a dollar, or less, and, I was short on money...