Woodworking (rec.woodworking) Discussion forum covering all aspects of working with wood. All levels of expertise are encouraged to particiapte.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old January 1st 19, 08:29 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jan 2019
Posts: 2
Default Quick Question on Accufence

I am planning to add an Accufence to my old Powermatic 66. I want to build an extension table that butts flush up to the table. So here is my question - Do I really need the back rail or can I use the Accufence as reliably without it?

  #2   Report Post  
Old January 1st 19, 08:50 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,692
Default Quick Question on Accufence

On 1/1/19 1:29 PM, Onorbit wrote:
I am planning to add an Accufence to my old Powermatic 66. I want to
build an extension table that butts flush up to the table. So here is
my question - Do I really need the back rail or can I use the
Accufence as reliably without it?


If it's like the Biesemeyer fence, all the clamping is done on the front
rail with no involvement from a back rail.

So you could probably take off the back rail with no issues. I would
just make sure the back rail isn't acting as a structural rail for the
saw table/assembly in any way before removing it.


--

-MIKE-

"Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com


  #3   Report Post  
Old January 1st 19, 09:39 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Dec 2017
Posts: 423
Default Quick Question on Accufence

On 1/1/2019 1:50 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
....

So you could probably take off the back rail with no issues.¬* I would
just make sure the back rail isn't acting as a structural rail for the
saw table/assembly in any way before removing it.


Not that familiar with the Model 66, eh? VBG

Them there's 100-lb solid cast iron extensions, there, good buddy! The
rear rail serves only as locking feature for the original fence.

--


  #4   Report Post  
Old January 1st 19, 10:34 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,723
Default Quick Question on Accufence

On Tue, 1 Jan 2019 14:39:19 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 1/1/2019 1:50 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
...

So you could probably take off the back rail with no issues.* I would
just make sure the back rail isn't acting as a structural rail for the
saw table/assembly in any way before removing it.


Not that familiar with the Model 66, eh? VBG

Them there's 100-lb solid cast iron extensions, there, good buddy! The
rear rail serves only as locking feature for the original fence.


Thee Unisaw isn't much different, except that the back rail *is* there
for structure so the bolts into the top (and the iron) are in sheer,
rather than tension.
  #5   Report Post  
Old January 2nd 19, 07:24 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Apr 2011
Posts: 11,282
Default Quick Question on Accufence

On 1/1/2019 1:29 PM, Onorbit wrote:
I am planning to add an Accufence to my old Powermatic 66. I want to build an extension table that butts flush up to the table. So here is my question - Do I really need the back rail or can I use the Accufence as reliably without it?


I had one of those fences, made by Jet. Anyway Yes you need that rail,
not so much directly for the fence but to hold up and support the table
extension that the fence will rest on. If the extension table does not
have enough support to stay on the same plane as the TS table or if the
extension bows your fence will reflect those deviations.

The back rail is only to support the extension table that the fence will
rest on.


  #6   Report Post  
Old January 2nd 19, 08:10 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Dec 2017
Posts: 423
Default Quick Question on Accufence

On 1/2/2019 12:24 PM, Leon wrote:
....

The back rail is only to support the extension table that the fence will
rest on.


The back rail has absolutely no function to support the wings on a PM
66; they're precision-milled castings bolted to the main table...

When mine was manufactured (still in McMinnville, TN), they were still
being surface-ground at the factory in place before being removed again
for shipping...they quit that later to control some of the costs, but
they're still milled flat w/ square, true edges to mate the main table
casting.

I don't know what they're now shipping for fence options; the "classic"
66 had just a couple of 5/16" bolts with a formed nylon washer to fit
the round shape that bolted through oversized holes on the table to let
it be (the rail) adjusted to the table, not to help support the table
wings at all...

--
  #7   Report Post  
Old January 2nd 19, 09:15 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,692
Default Quick Question on Accufence

On 1/2/19 1:10 PM, dpb wrote:
On 1/2/2019 12:24 PM, Leon wrote:
...

The back rail is only to support the extension table that the fence
will rest on.


The back rail has absolutely no function to support the wings on a PM
66; they're precision-milled castings bolted to the main table...

When mine was manufactured (still in McMinnville, TN), they were still
being surface-ground at the factory in place before being removed again
for shipping...they quit that later to control some of the costs, but
they're still milled flat w/ square, true edges to mate the main table
casting.

I don't know what they're now shipping for fence options; the "classic"
66 had just a couple of 5/16" bolts with a formed nylon washer to fit
the round shape that bolted through oversized holes on the table to let
it be (the rail) adjusted to the table, not to help support the table
wings at all...

--


We're not talking about the side extensions.
We're talking out an out-feed table.


--

-MIKE-

"Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com


  #8   Report Post  
Old January 2nd 19, 09:58 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Apr 2011
Posts: 11,282
Default Quick Question on Accufence

On 1/2/2019 1:10 PM, dpb wrote:
On 1/2/2019 12:24 PM, Leon wrote:
...

The back rail is only to support the extension table that the fence
will rest on.


The back rail has absolutely no function to support the wings on a PM
66; they're precision-milled castings bolted to the main table...

When mine was manufactured (still in McMinnville, TN), they were still
being surface-ground at the factory in place before being removed again
for shipping...they quit that later to control some of the costs, but
they're still milled flat w/ square, true edges to mate the main table
casting.

I don't know what they're now shipping for fence options; the "classic"
66 had just a couple of 5/16" bolts with a formed nylon washer to fit
the round shape that bolted through oversized holes on the table to let
it be (the rail) adjusted to the table, not to help support the table
wings at all...

--


Understood but if you have or add the 50+" rip capacity the fence needs
a side extension that will be approximately 8~10" wider than 50". IIRC
most saws will have side extensions but not that far out from the blade.
  #9   Report Post  
Old January 2nd 19, 10:03 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Apr 2011
Posts: 11,282
Default Quick Question on Accufence

On 1/2/2019 2:15 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/2/19 1:10 PM, dpb wrote:
On 1/2/2019 12:24 PM, Leon wrote:
...

The back rail is only to support the extension table that the fence
will rest on.


The back rail has absolutely no function to support the wings on a PM
66; they're precision-milled castings bolted to the main table...

When mine was manufactured (still in McMinnville, TN), they were still
being surface-ground at the factory in place before being removed
again for shipping...they quit that later to control some of the
costs, but they're still milled flat w/ square, true edges to mate the
main table casting.

I don't know what they're now shipping for fence options; the
"classic" 66 had just a couple of 5/16" bolts with a formed nylon
washer to fit the round shape that bolted through oversized holes on
the table to let it be (the rail) adjusted to the table, not to help
support the table wings at all...

--


We're not talking about the side extensions.
We're talking out an out-feed table.



Well actually the OP he never mentioned out feed table. I read
extension table to mean "extension table". And yes if you add an
extension table, and especially if you add to a 50" rip capacity the
back rail is needed to support and prevent sag of the extension table.
  #10   Report Post  
Old January 2nd 19, 10:56 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,692
Default Quick Question on Accufence

On 1/2/19 3:03 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/2/2019 2:15 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/2/19 1:10 PM, dpb wrote:
On 1/2/2019 12:24 PM, Leon wrote:
...

The back rail is only to support the extension table that the fence
will rest on.

The back rail has absolutely no function to support the wings on a PM
66; they're precision-milled castings bolted to the main table...

When mine was manufactured (still in McMinnville, TN), they were
still being surface-ground at the factory in place before being
removed again for shipping...they quit that later to control some of
the costs, but they're still milled flat w/ square, true edges to
mate the main table casting.

I don't know what they're now shipping for fence options; the
"classic" 66 had just a couple of 5/16" bolts with a formed nylon
washer to fit the round shape that bolted through oversized holes on
the table to let it be (the rail) adjusted to the table, not to help
support the table wings at all...

--


We're not talking about the side extensions.
We're talking out an out-feed table.



Well actually the OP he never mentioned out feed table.¬* I read
extension table to mean "extension table".¬* And yes if you add an
extension table, and especially if you add to a 50" rip capacity the
back rail is needed to support and prevent sag of the extension table.


Oops... yeah, I guess he didn't. Next time I need to read gooder.


--

-MIKE-

"Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com




Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Some not so quick... quick and easy Christmas presents. Bob La Londe[_7_] Metalworking 112 January 5th 18 09:14 AM
Quick, quick... Jim Thompson[_3_] Electronic Schematics 13 December 21st 12 01:21 AM
Would it be sacrilidge to cut an Accufence down to 30" Mike Rinken Woodworking 8 March 9th 05 02:46 AM
How quick is quick curing silicone? Nicholas UK diy 4 January 6th 05 11:00 PM
Quick skirting board question John Greenwood UK diy 5 November 10th 03 04:13 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2019 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017