John Greenwood

Default Quick skirting board question

I am replacing some skirting and have noticed that all the other skirting in
my house is attached so leaving a gap between bottom of skirting and floor.

Why is this? In case of damp in the floor? To make fitting of carpet easier?

Is it really necessary?

Thanks,

John

Rick Hughes

"John Greenwood" wrote in message
I am replacing some skirting and have noticed that all the other skirting

in
my house is attached so leaving a gap between bottom of skirting and

floor.

Why is this? In case of damp in the floor? To make fitting of carpet

easier?

Is it really necessary?

This is left for 3 reasons -
1# as otherwise you would have to scribe it in as the floor is probably not
perfectly flat.

2# most people have a floor finish 10mm or thicker ... if you fitted down to
floor you would lose 10mm of visible skirting.

3# if skirting in contact with floor it will creak & squeak as you walk over
the floor.

Rick

John Greenwood

Thanks Rick,

The skirting is for my kitchen and I plan to put down some vinyl flooring
which is approx. 3mm thick.

I think it will look like a cow if there is a visible gap between flooring
and skirting so I might raise the skirting by 2mm.

What do you think?

John

"Rick Hughes" wrote in message

[...]

Reestit Mutton

John Greenwood wrote:
Thanks Rick,

The skirting is for my kitchen and I plan to put down some vinyl flooring
which is approx. 3mm thick.

I think it will look like a cow if there is a visible gap between flooring
and skirting so I might raise the skirting by 2mm.

Are you sure you didn't mean to say "drop".

What do you think?

John

The simple solution is to use wooden beading around the edge of the room.

A slightly more robust (and elegant) solution would be to board the
floor with ply first (adding, say 6-9mm to the height of the flooring)
before laying the vinyl on top. This would serve two purposes

(1) It levels the floor, so that the vinyl finish is smooth.
(2) It means you can leave that small gap under the skirting as the ply
will likely cover it and, if not, the vinyl on top certainly should.

HtH
RM

--
unlocking Nokia and SonyEricsson phones in the Edinburgh area
email: reestit_mutton AT lauriem DOT plus DOT com

John Greenwood

Are you sure you didn't mean to say "drop".

No, as this would then be below the level of the floor !

I meant 2mm above the foor.

"Reestit Mutton" wrote in message
John Greenwood wrote:
[...]

BillR

John Greenwood wrote:
I am replacing some skirting and have noticed that all the other
skirting in my house is attached so leaving a gap between bottom of
skirting and floor.

Why is this? In case of damp in the floor? To make fitting of carpet
easier?

Is it really necessary?

Thanks,

John

Possibly shrinkage ?

Removing glue from skirting board Antony UK diy 13 January 29th 21 06:22 AM
Replacing skirting board Phil UK diy 5 August 11th 03 05:59 PM
removing skirting boards Roger Mills UK diy 3 August 4th 03 04:42 PM