Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Leon,Swingman, et al - We're praying for you

On 8/25/2017 4:02 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/24/2017 2:51 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
For all you folks in the path of Harvey...

I just said a prayer for you. Good luck!

Thank you! Swingman is in Arkansas for the summer. ;~(

Nailshooter, in San Antonio, is concerned and my wife and I are in the
NE area of Texas. We will have to watch out for the 25+inches of rain
over the next few days.

Thank you again!

Give it up, Bubba... I am so under water at this point even my reality
check bounced, so broke I can't even afford a trip down memory lane.

https://www.hctax.net/Property/DelSt...evWDYPQ5J4vKw=

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 8/25/2017 4:02 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/24/2017 2:51 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
For all you folks in the path of Harvey...

I just said a prayer for you. Good luck!

Thank you! Swingman is in Arkansas for the summer. ;~(

Nailshooter, in San Antonio, is concerned and my wife and I are in the
NE area of Texas. We will have to watch out for the 25+inches of rain
over the next few days.

Thank you again!

Give it up, Bubba... I am so under water at this point even my reality
check bounced, so broke I can't even afford a trip down memory lane.

I'm glad to hear you are in good health! I'm sorry you encountered some
"speed bumps". I sincerely hope that things go your way (you have too
good of an attitude for that not to happen)!

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/28/17 2:44 PM, Bill wrote:
Swingman wrote:
On 8/25/2017 4:02 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/24/2017 2:51 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
For all you folks in the path of Harvey...

I just said a prayer for you. Good luck!

Thank you!Â* Swingman is in Arkansas for the summer.Â* ;~(

Nailshooter, in San Antonio, is concerned and my wife and I are in the
NE area of Texas.Â* We will have to watch out for the 25+inches of rain
over the next few days.

Thank you again!

Give it up, Bubba... I am so under water at this point even my reality
check bounced, so broke I can't even afford a trip down memory lane.

I'm glad to hear you are in good health!Â* I'm sorry you encountered some
"speed bumps".Â*Â* I sincerely hope that things go your way (you have too
good of an attitude for that not to happen)!

Bill

I'm pretty sure that was an imposter and not the real Swingman.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/28/2017 3:11 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 10/28/17 2:44 PM, Bill wrote:
Swingman wrote:
On 8/25/2017 4:02 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/24/2017 2:51 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
For all you folks in the path of Harvey...

I just said a prayer for you. Good luck!

Thank you!Â* Swingman is in Arkansas for the summer.Â* ;~(

Nailshooter, in San Antonio, is concerned and my wife and I are in the
NE area of Texas.Â* We will have to watch out for the 25+inches of rain
over the next few days.

Thank you again!
Give it up, Bubba... I am so under water at this point even my reality
check bounced, so broke I can't even afford a trip down memory lane.

I'm glad to hear you are in good health!Â* I'm sorry you encountered
some "speed bumps".Â*Â* I sincerely hope that things go your way (you
have too good of an attitude for that not to happen)!

Bill

I'm pretty sure that was an imposter and not the real Swingman.

No, I think that was him.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/28/17 2:44 PM, Bill wrote:
Swingman wrote:
On 8/25/2017 4:02 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/24/2017 2:51 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
For all you folks in the path of Harvey...

I just said a prayer for you. Good luck!

Thank you!Â* Swingman is in Arkansas for the summer.Â* ;~(

Nailshooter, in San Antonio, is concerned and my wife and I are in the
NE area of Texas.Â* We will have to watch out for the 25+inches of rain
over the next few days.

Thank you again!
Give it up, Bubba... I am so under water at this point even my reality
check bounced, so broke I can't even afford a trip down memory lane.

I'm glad to hear you are in good health!Â* I'm sorry you encountered
some "speed bumps".Â*Â* I sincerely hope that things go your way (you
have too good of an attitude for that not to happen)!

Bill

I'm pretty sure that was an imposter and not the real Swingman.

No, I think that was him.

The tax bill looks legit although I'm not sure how you don't pay any property taxes for close
to 10 years. Don't they foreclose after a while?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 8/25/2017 4:02 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/24/2017 2:51 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
For all you folks in the path of Harvey...

I just said a prayer for you. Good luck!

Thank you! Swingman is in Arkansas for the summer. ;~(

Nailshooter, in San Antonio, is concerned and my wife and I are in the
NE area of Texas. We will have to watch out for the 25+inches of rain
over the next few days.

Thank you again!

Give it up, Bubba... I am so under water at this point even my reality
check bounced, so broke I can't even afford a trip down memory lane.

My credit is so bad I have to have a co-signer to pay cash!

--
G Ross
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/28/17 2:44 PM, Bill wrote:
Swingman wrote:
On 8/25/2017 4:02 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/24/2017 2:51 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
For all you folks in the path of Harvey...

I just said a prayer for you. Good luck!

Thank you!* Swingman is in Arkansas for the summer.* ;~(

Nailshooter, in San Antonio, is concerned and my wife and I are in the
NE area of Texas.* We will have to watch out for the 25+inches of rain
over the next few days.

Thank you again!
Give it up, Bubba... I am so under water at this point even my reality
check bounced, so broke I can't even afford a trip down memory lane.

I'm glad to hear you are in good health!* I'm sorry you encountered
some "speed bumps".** I sincerely hope that things go your way (you
have too good of an attitude for that not to happen)!

Bill

I'm pretty sure that was an imposter and not the real Swingman.

No, I think that was him.

Swingman is in the Netherlands?

http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/194.109.206.211
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/28/17 2:44 PM, Bill wrote:
Swingman wrote:
On 8/25/2017 4:02 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

In Texas, perhaps other states, you can claim the property tax deferral
exemption at 65. When you sell you owe back taxes plus 8% interest
IIRC. Not a bad deal IF your home appreciates in value or if you never
sell.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/28/17 2:44 PM, Bill wrote:
Swingman wrote:
On 8/25/2017 4:02 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

That makes sense, I am glad to hear that, it just didn't make sense
otherwise.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 29 Oct 2017 17:26:56 -0400, G Ross wrote:

Swingman wrote:
On 8/25/2017 4:02 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/24/2017 2:51 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
For all you folks in the path of Harvey...

I just said a prayer for you. Good luck!

Thank you! Swingman is in Arkansas for the summer. ;~(

Nailshooter, in San Antonio, is concerned and my wife and I are in the
NE area of Texas. We will have to watch out for the 25+inches of rain
over the next few days.

Thank you again!

Give it up, Bubba... I am so under water at this point even my reality
check bounced, so broke I can't even afford a trip down memory lane.

My credit is so bad I have to have a co-signer to pay cash!

At least you can pay cash, a lot of places here take plastic only even
then preferring your apple card system but yeah, I know you're tongue
in cheek.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/28/17 2:44 PM, Bill wrote:
Swingman wrote:
On 8/25/2017 4:02 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

exemption at 65.Â* When you sell you owe back taxes plus 8% interest
IIRC.Â* Not a bad deal IF your home appreciates in value or if you never
sell.

Looking at the dates and lateness you can infer it is a tax deadbeat,
but knowing of the deferment option, it is a pretty good fiscal tool.
I'd do that here if offered. I have no plans to move so the taxes would
come out of my kid's inheritance when they sell this place.

Good for Swingman.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/28/17 2:44 PM, Bill wrote:
Swingman wrote:
On 8/25/2017 4:02 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

That's not a lot different than a reverse mortgage. I wouldn't do
either, though.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/28/17 2:44 PM, Bill wrote:
Swingman wrote:
On 8/25/2017 4:02 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Reverse mortgage seems to be a last resort for money deal. You can
probably do better with a long term home equity loan and put the cash
into an investment that will offset the interest.

What I find sad is the number of people at retirement age that still
have big mortgages, often because they used home equity as a piggy bank.
Getting the mortgage out of the way was #1 priority, #2 was to never
pay credit card interest.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/28/17 2:44 PM, Bill wrote:
Swingman wrote:
On 8/25/2017 4:02 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Let's not forget the main reason a person would consider a reverse mortgage: they need cash
to meet their living expenses.

In the case where a person needs monthly income and is therefore considering a reverse
mortgage, what cash would there be to invest?

If you are suggesting a large enough home equity loan to meet both their A) monthly cash needs
for the rest of their life plus B) their new monthly loan payment, then what investment would you
suggest that will both 1) off-set the interest and 2) be secure enough that a long term market
reversal wouldn't impact their ability to meet requirements A & B?

It's tougher to lose your home with a reverse mortgage than it is if you can't make your equity
loan payment.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/28/17 2:44 PM, Bill wrote:
Swingman wrote:
On 8/25/2017 4:02 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

deferral exemption at 65.Â* When you sell you owe back taxes plus 8%
interest IIRC.Â* Not a bad deal IF your home appreciates in value or if
you never sell.

Looking at the dates and lateness you can infer it is a tax deadbeat,
but knowing of the deferment option, it is a pretty good fiscal tool.
I'd do that here if offered.Â* I have no plans to move so the taxes would
come out of my kid's inheritance when they sell this place.

Good for Swingman.

Precicely
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/30/2017 12:31 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

You can get better rates on home equity than reverse mortgages most of
the time. You take the case and put most in CD and get about 2.5%. Not
much interest but if is a partial offset to your interest versus 0% from
a reverse mortgage. From the balance you take enough monthly to cover
payments and what you need for expenses.

If you are more tolerant of risk, you can invest in stocks or a mutual
fund. There has to be a drop coming up, but Ive been getting a healthy
return the past couple of years.

Of course, if you have the ability to do this you probably planned ahead
enough not to be in the position of needing beer money from your house
equity.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 1:00:32 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Who is offering 2.5% on a CD that you actually have access to? Even Jumbo ($100K) CD€˜s with
60 month terms are paying less than 2.5%. Why would anyone borrow money at a higher rate
than the investment rate and then lock it up for 5 years?

The only reason to borrow money and then invest it is to get a *higher* return than the
interest rate on the loan. (That's why even the very rich have mortgages, but we shouldn't
Include them in the reverse mortgage vs. home equity loan discussion.)

If you are more tolerant of risk, you can invest in stocks or a mutual
fund. There has to be a drop coming up,

....and when the reversal happens and they have to sell investments to cover their expenses
*and* loan payments, they have the pleasure of locking in those losses.

but Ive been getting a healthy return the past couple of years.

Past performance is not indicative of future results. ;-)

Of course, if you have the ability to do this you probably planned ahead
enough not to be in the position of needing beer money from your house
equity.

But isn't that the point of this discussion? Weren't you comparing reverse mortgages vs.
a home equity loan? Who takes reverse mortgages? People who need the money to
meet their living expenses. If a person needs money to meet their living expenses, why
would they borrow more than they need and then lose money by investing it just to get
a "partial offset" of the interest rate?
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 writes:
On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 1:00:32 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You can get better rates on home equity than reverse mortgages most of=20
the time. You take the case and put most in CD and get about 2.5%. Not=

=20
much interest but if is a partial offset to your interest versus 0% from=

=20
a reverse mortgage. From the balance you take enough monthly to cover=

=20
payments and what you need for expenses.
=20

Who is offering 2.5% on a CD that you actually have access to? Even Jumbo (=
$100K) CD‘s with=20
60 month terms are paying less than 2.5%. Why would anyone borrow money at =
a higher rate=20
than the investment rate and then lock it up for 5 years?=20

Makes more sense to buy into a no-load muni fund, such as:

https://www.blackrock.com/investing/...d-inc-usd-fund

Which has a 5.68% distribution rate, tax free.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 12:00:32 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Of course, if you have the ability to do this you probably planned ahead
enough not to be in the position of needing beer money from your house
equity.

I have got to pass this thread on to one of my neighbors. At 87 years old, he is broke. What a dumbass, right? No money left from his retirement account that he put money into for 30 years, and no other fine investments. All eaten up in a 12 year battle with his wife's Alzheimer's treatments. She finally died, and he is penniless.

If he only had you guys to guide him. He could have ditched her somewhere along the line, (not his style) or let her suffer so he could invest or hang onto his beer money.

As it was his stupid ass sold everything he owned and he now lives in a house that is just a bit above falling down. He doesn't really know how stupid he is... maybe I can get one of you to contact him and share this brilliant illumination on how the world works in your tiny sphere of experience.

As it is, the reverse mortgage was his only hope. He can't qualify for a loan since he cannot demonstrate the ability to pay it back (good jobs are scarce at his age)and he has no reserves. Maybe he should give the money he got from the reverse mortgage back... I wonder.

As it is, he will get $XXX a month which will allow him to live on his remaining Social Security and continue with his heart medicines. The way his is structured, he will get 15 years of payments, and if he makes it that far he will be drawn out. If he expires earlier, then the estate gets a consideration based on how much was paid out and much time remained.

What an idiot, eh? If only he had queried here first.

I wonder when I read the profound bitterness and closed minded, self righteous thinking here what in the world happened to this group. Can your worlds be so small as to only think of the world as only what exists in your eyesight? For a group that claims such worldly, expansive human experiences it is stunning how tiny minded so many are.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 12:33:03 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

+1 and a lot more.

What some folks seem to be missing is that (in most cases) people don't take out a reverse
mortgage because they *want* to. It's usually the last option available to them. They are out
of funds and don't have enough income for everyday, minimal living expenses..

Take out a home equity loan and invest the cash? Where's the income stream that the bank
requires to prove that you can make the payments? In the situations we're talking about, it
doesn't exist, so the loan is a no-go right from the start.

I agree with you. Some folks need that "reality check" that Swingman joked about. It's not
all sunshine and happiness in the real world. There is no one-size-fits-all financial strategy.
Sometimes life puts people in situations - through no fault of their own - where the options
are extremely limited.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/31/2017 9:22 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

+1 and a lot more.

What some folks seem to be missing is that (in most cases) people don't take out a reverse
mortgage because they *want* to. It's usually the last option available to them. They are out
of funds and don't have enough income for everyday, minimal living expenses.

Take out a home equity loan and invest the cash? Where's the income stream that the bank
requires to prove that you can make the payments? In the situations we're talking about, it
doesn't exist, so the loan is a no-go right from the start.

Not really. I know of a couple of people doing exactly that. They are
doing well and yes, they do have a good working knowledge of how to work
with money. Most of us really don't. There are investments that return
equal or higher than mortgage rates. I'm not licensed to give financial
advice but you can consult with one for more information.

I agree with you. Some folks need that "reality check" that Swingman joked about. It's not
all sunshine and happiness in the real world. There is no one-size-fits-all financial strategy.
Sometimes life puts people in situations - through no fault of their own - where the options
are extremely limited.

Sure, Robert had a good example of that. Things happen that we have no
control over. I was speaking in generalities of the great number of
people that just did no planning. The ones that used every bit of home
equity for fancy vacations and at retirement age have nothing but
inadequate SS to live on. For every comment made here you can find an
exception but that does not mean something can be done.

Reverse mortgage is usually a last ditch effort for most of us but just
look at the gullible people being targeted and how. Age 62? You can
use the money for anything you want. Pay off your mortgage or take a
vacation.

Have a structured settlement but need cash now? Call J G Wentworth.
Surely you've seen that. JG will take good care of you too.

There are also people that win many million of dollars from a lottery
and five years later cannot afford to retire because of poor fiscal
behavior.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:
I agree with you. Some folks need that "reality check" that Swingman joked about. It's not
all sunshine and happiness in the real world. There is no one-size-fits-all financial strategy.
Sometimes life puts people in situations - through no fault of their own - where the options
are extremely limited.

Thank you, medical care "corporation", of the USA.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 10:18:37 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

When you talk about home equity loans vs. a reverse mortgage, you seem to keep going
back to "those that can" while I have been continually concentrating on "those that can't."

We're arguing about reverse mortgages from 2 very different perspectives, so there is no sense
in continuing.

However, if you can find me a CD paying 2.5% (net) I'll take it. ;-) Secondary market CD's with
high coupons but a low net yields don't count.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 30 Oct 2017 21:33:00 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

[...]

Life sometimes sucks but that's not the usual case. Most, before
retirement couldn't come up with $1000 to repair their car. With that
sort of planning, they have no chance after.