Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

Default Hey Swingman - You've Been Plagurized!

Was watching HGTV the other night and what to my wondering eyes should
appear - right there on TV for the whole world to see? To kick drawers in
kitchen cabinets. Yeah - you read it right, your idea published for the
world to see and not a single credit to you.

Now, for all I know these things could have been around for a long time, but
the first time I ever saw them was in some of Swingman's pictures. My wife
thought they were cool and I just smugly told her that I know the inventor
of them. Didn't buy me much.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
C & E

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
Was watching HGTV the other night and what to my wondering eyes should
appear - right there on TV for the whole world to see? To kick drawers in
kitchen cabinets.

snip

Sorry to be reeeealy thick here Mike but are these drawers in the toe-kick
at the bottom of the cabs??

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"C & E" wrote in message

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
Was watching HGTV the other night and what to my wondering eyes should
appear - right there on TV for the whole world to see? To kick drawers

in
kitchen cabinets.

snip

Sorry to be reeeealy thick here Mike but are these drawers in the toe-kick
at the bottom of the cabs??

Yeah. Don't you just hate it when a guy doesn't proof read his own posts?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

Mike Marlow wrote:
Was watching HGTV the other night and what to my wondering eyes should
appear - right there on TV for the whole world to see? To kick drawers in
kitchen cabinets. Yeah - you read it right, your idea published for the
world to see and not a single credit to you.

Now, for all I know these things could have been around for a long time, but
the first time I ever saw them was in some of Swingman's pictures. My wife
thought they were cool and I just smugly told her that I know the inventor
of them. Didn't buy me much.

I'm pretty sure they're been around for a while. They're definitely a
good use for unutilized space. I've been building drawers into kitchen
toekicks for the past 15 years or so. I usually don't tell the owner
that I'm doing it. I just install them and sometime later in a follow
up visit, I casually press the kick drawer with my toe and the touch
latch pops it open. The owner's astonishment is priceless.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

Was watching HGTV the other night and what to my wondering eyes should
appear - right there on TV for the whole world to see? To kick drawers in
kitchen cabinets. Yeah - you read it right, your idea published for the
world to see and not a single credit to you.

Now, for all I know these things could have been around for a long time,

but
the first time I ever saw them was in some of Swingman's pictures. My

wife
thought they were cool and I just smugly told her that I know the inventor
of them. Didn't buy me much.

Yep, I invented them, back in 1835.

Actually, they are rare in this day of purchased boxes/cheap built-ins, but
I first saw one about 20 years ago. Most cabinetmakers these days are just
too lazy to bother.

Of the two features in the kitchens I put in the houses we build, the
toe-kick drawers, along with the elevated dishwasher cabinets, seem to be
the ones that most women go gaga over. The toe-kick drawers are so well
hidden that they must be pointed out, so we generally leave one partially
pulled out during open houses ... must be an HGTV spy around?

Funny thing is I just bought the plywood yesterday specifically to build
toe-kick drawers for six cabinets in two new kitchens.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking

"C & E" wrote in message

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
Was watching HGTV the other night and what to my wondering eyes should
appear - right there on TV for the whole world to see? To kick drawers

in
kitchen cabinets.

snip

Sorry to be reeeealy thick here Mike but are these drawers in the
toe-kick
at the bottom of the cabs??

Yeah. Don't you just hate it when a guy doesn't proof read his own posts?

--

-Mike-

Guess I can't argue that one, Mike.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
"Swingman" wrote:

Of the two features in the kitchens I put in the houses we build, the
toe-kick drawers, along with the elevated dishwasher cabinets, seem to be
the ones that most women go gaga over. The toe-kick drawers are so well
hidden that they must be pointed out, so we generally leave one partially
pulled out during open houses ... must be an HGTV spy around?

I've had an idea in the back of my noggin' for some years now and will
try to put it in our updated kitchen - if it ever happens.

Our kitchen has a cooktop, must be only 3 or so inches in thickness -
current one is gas, but the previous was an electric with similar depth.
I think it would be a very convenient thing to have a pull-out wood
cutting board built into the cabinet immediately below the cooktop. Not
only would it be good for chopping at the stove and an added work space
for pots and pans but a shield for toddlers and small children from
getting burned or turning on the gas, flame or element via any
forward-mount knobs.

The idea originated with the pull-out board on the other side of the
kitchen next to the wall oven and under the microwave cabinet. Our
cabinets appear to be site-built c. 1960.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05
Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Fly-by-Night CC" wrote in message

I've had an idea in the back of my noggin' for some years now and will
try to put it in our updated kitchen - if it ever happens.

The toekick drawers are very easy to implement if you install the cabinet
side drawer slides in the toekick space on the end panels before assembling
the cabinets. Much more difficult to retrofit unless you are a
contortionist.

We did four of them yesterday in the time it takes to tell.

For a 4 1/2" high toekick space, I've settled on drawer dimensions of 3 3/4"
tall; 18" deep; and 1" less in width than the inside width of the cabinet
with Accuride full extension slides. Those dimensions generally give you the
clearance you need after you apply any extra toekick plate/shoe molding to
the drawer front to match the cabinet run.

One thing to consider is to use an overextension drawer slide. Even with
full extension slides you have the 4" depth of the toekick space to contend
with, which only leaves about 14" of an 18" drawer visible from above when
the drawer is open.

Our kitchen has a cooktop, must be only 3 or so inches in thickness -
current one is gas, but the previous was an electric with similar depth.
I think it would be a very convenient thing to have a pull-out wood
cutting board built into the cabinet immediately below the cooktop. Not
only would it be good for chopping at the stove and an added work space
for pots and pans but a shield for toddlers and small children from
getting burned or turning on the gas, flame or element via any
forward-mount knobs.

The idea originated with the pull-out board on the other side of the
kitchen next to the wall oven and under the microwave cabinet. Our
cabinets appear to be site-built c. 1960.

Pull-outs, of any kind, are in vogue ... I rarely do shelves in standard
depth base cabinets any longer, only pull-outs.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
"Swingman" wrote:

For a 4 1/2" high toekick space, I've settled on drawer dimensions of 3 3/4"
tall; 18" deep; and 1" less in width than the inside width of the cabinet
with Accuride full extension slides. Those dimensions generally give you the
clearance you need after you apply any extra toekick plate/shoe molding to
the drawer front to match the cabinet run.

What do you hear that most folks use these for? My only concern with
such a drawer in my house would be the copious amounts of dog hair that
seems to accumulate on a daily basis - I don't need more dog hair in my
meals than what I'm treated to already.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company
__________

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05
Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Fly-by-Night CC" wrote in message

What do you hear that most folks use these for?

Cookie sheets, baking pans, placemats, cutting boards, pistols, your stash
.... anything that lays flat, or that you want to hide.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"Fly-by-Night CC" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Swingman" wrote:

For a 4 1/2" high toekick space, I've settled on drawer dimensions of 3

3/4"
tall; 18" deep; and 1" less in width than the inside width of the

cabinet
with Accuride full extension slides. Those dimensions generally give you

the
clearance you need after you apply any extra toekick plate/shoe molding

the drawer front to match the cabinet run.

What do you hear that most folks use these for? My only concern with
such a drawer in my house would be the copious amounts of dog hair that
seems to accumulate on a daily basis - I don't need more dog hair in my
meals than what I'm treated to already.

Well of course Owen - the answer is obvious - to store the dog hair!

--

-Mike-

Swingman - Ida Red / Maybelline - Next Time Tom Watson Woodworking 18 December 2nd 05 02:05 PM
For Swingman and a bunch of Texans Charlie Self Woodworking 11 September 24th 05 12:49 AM
Question about TS push sticks (particularly Swingman!!) [email protected] Woodworking 23 August 5th 05 08:23 PM
Ho, Swingman nospambob Woodworking 10 July 24th 05 07:06 PM
Paging: swingman Jim Bailey Woodworking 0 March 15th 05 11:19 PM