Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT - Swingman and Leon

Need to know the best place in Houston for a big steak. My son is there
this week.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/27/2014 1:32 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Need to know the best place in Houston for a big steak. My son is there
this week.

Mortons? I have never been there but my son has, IIRC he ordered a 4"
thick filet mignon. Pricey.

http://www.mortons.com/

Perry's Steak House

http://www.perryssteakhouse.com/

Churrascos for a South American Steak, Very Good

https://www.cordua.com/churrascos/?_...uGJhoCcabw_wcB

C&H Steak

Texas Land and Cattle

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:m2m2si$afi$1
@dont-email.me:

Need to know the best place in Houston for a big steak. My son is there
this week.

Seems like you're in the wrong end of Texas for steak. You
should be in Amarillo, or at least Fort Worth.

Anyway, my folks are in Austin, so I don't know much about
Houston, but it seems I've heard Brenners is good (not to
be confused with Brennans, altho that's good food too).

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Need to know the best place in Houston for a big steak. My son is
there this week.

As I remember Houston is sea food territory.

At least it was when I was going there.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/27/2014 5:58 PM, John McCoy wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:m2m2si$afi$1
@dont-email.me:

Need to know the best place in Houston for a big steak. My son is there
this week.

Seems like you're in the wrong end of Texas for steak. You
should be in Amarillo, or at least Fort Worth.

Is there cattle up there too? '~) Believe me, my family raised cattle
for many decades is south Texas. King Ranch comes to mind... ;~)

Anyway, my folks are in Austin, so I don't know much about
Houston, but it seems I've heard Brenners is good (not to
be confused with Brennans, altho that's good food too).

Brennans is damn good and dam expensive Cajun style food.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/27/2014 11:41 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Need to know the best place in Houston for a big steak. My son is
there this week.

As I remember Houston is sea food territory.

At least it was when I was going there.

Lew

Seafood more so than San Antonio not so much as cities on the water,
like Rock Port, Corpus Christi, Port Aransas, Galveston, etc.
Houston can satisfy any cuisine. Probably has one of the best varieties
of GOOD restaurants.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Need to know the best place in Houston for a big steak. My son is
there this week.

As I remember Houston is sea food territory.

At least it was when I was going there.

Lew

Seafood more so than San Antonio not so much as cities on the water,
like Rock Port, Corpus Christi, Port Aransas, Galveston, etc.
Houston can satisfy any cuisine. Probably has one of the best varieties
of GOOD restaurants.

Hard to compete with either manhatten or san francisco for variety
of good restaurants. Like the marine memorial association's
_Leathernecks_, or side-alley dim sum in Chinatown, or italian in
North Beach (or anywhere in east new jersey).

http://www.marineclub.com/dining.php

Reservations definitely recommended (very reasonable prices, to boot).
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

On 10/27/2014 5:58 PM, John McCoy wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in
news:m2m2si$afi$1 @dont-email.me:

Need to know the best place in Houston for a big steak. My son is
there this week.

Seems like you're in the wrong end of Texas for steak. You
should be in Amarillo, or at least Fort Worth.

Is there cattle up there too? '~) Believe me, my family raised
cattle for many decades is south Texas. King Ranch comes to mind...
;~)

I think they hide them better in south Texas. I definately
see more of them when I go across north Texas heading to
Colorado than I do heading across south Texas to Austin.
(I probably see more ostriches than cows near Austin, but
that's sort of a fad).

Anyway, my folks are in Austin, so I don't know much about
Houston, but it seems I've heard Brenners is good (not to
be confused with Brennans, altho that's good food too).

Brennans is damn good and dam expensive Cajun style food.

I've et at the Brennans in New Orleans, which is definately
good (and not cheap). Altho I gather they've had issues and
closed a year or two ago. I don't beleive there's anywhere
in the US which has a greater variety of good restaurants
than New Orleans.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, October 28, 2014 10:19:13 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Seafood more so than San Antonio not so much as cities on the water,
like Rock Port, Corpus Christi, Port Aransas, Galveston, etc.
Houston can satisfy any cuisine. Probably has one of the best varieties
of GOOD restaurants.

True enough. I do like the Thai food restaurants here as well as any I have eaten at, and we have several extremely tasty (and expensive) restaurants here that serve other specialty foods that have been featured on television. I think San Antonio holds the record for number of restaurants shown on Diners, Drive Ins an Dives.

Our huge military/ex military population has brought folks from all over the world that have opened restaurants here when they settle. Lots of good stuff to eat here.

My serious problem with Houston is the lack of hole in the wall Tex/Mex restaurants. San Antonio is FULL of them! Affordable, cheap and some really good. For example, today very near my repair job I had two large cheese enchiladas, rice, refried beans, a small salad with a small scoop of guacamole, a generous portion of carne guisada and two hand made tortillas for $5.29.

My compass rose has dozens or those places on it that allow me to get my Tex/Mex fix as needed. Anything from Caldo de Res to green enchiladas or Chile Relleno are fixtures for the ubiquitous "lunch special" all these places seem to have.

When my sister came in last month to visit with my Mom, I found another joint by Mom's independent living compound that had an outstanding calabasa con pollo which their version is a spicy Mexican stewed squash preparation served over spicy baked chicken. With chips, homemade salsa (a real requirement around here), two homemade flour tortillas and tea, it was $5.49. She loved it.

Since she grew up here too, she loves it when we can sneak off and get some of the Tex/Mex she remembers. In all her years in Houston (30?) she has looked but never found more than a couple of hole in the wall "joints".

I will say though, that after that outstanding Mex place that we all went to one year at Christmas, they went there with their neighbors and it was a big hit! That was sure good, and Kathy still remembers the fish dish she got there.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message

Brennans is damn good and dam expensive Cajun style food.

Been many, many years since I ate there [and it's not like it's specific
to Houston] but Ruth's Chris impressed me.
I remember having to hold my napkin up in front of my shirt when the waiter
arrived with our order account the sizzles jumping off my steak. Hottest
food I ever been served anywhere. And the blueberry cheesecake overflowed
the plate on which it was served.

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 10:02:31 -0500, "Dave in Texas"
wrote:

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
m...

Brennans is damn good and dam expensive Cajun style food.

Been many, many years since I ate there [and it's not like it's specific
to Houston] but Ruth's Chris impressed me.
I remember having to hold my napkin up in front of my shirt when the waiter
arrived with our order account the sizzles jumping off my steak. Hottest
food I ever been served anywhere. And the blueberry cheesecake overflowed
the plate on which it was served.

I've been to Ruth's Chris a couple of times. I went on a business
trip and then took my wife, once, on the way back from a trip to the
parent's place. She knew that I had gone and wanted to know what it
was all about. She found out; $45 steak, $12 salad, $8 potato, $8
asparagus, $5 coke (me), and $15 glass of wine (her)... It's
certainly good (and *hot*, as you say) but it wasn't *that* good.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 00:30:54 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

[snip]
My serious problem with Houston is the lack of hole in the wall Tex/Mex restaurants. San Antonio is FULL of them! Affordable, cheap and some really good. For example, today very near my repair job I had two large cheese enchiladas, rice, refried beans, a small salad with a small scoop of guacamole, a generous portion of carne guisada and two hand made tortillas for $5.29.

I've lived in San Antone since '65. Some of best Tex\Mex I've ever
eaten has been at some of the mom and pop type places. There is\was a
Tex\Mex restaurant on Austin Highway that was run by an Iranian guy.
Killer food and great daily lunch specials. Nice guy too. Spoke with
all his customers to make sure everything was okay. He ran a tight
ship. Service was very good.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/29/2014 9:51 PM, Gray_Wolf wrote:
On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 00:30:54 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

[snip]
My serious problem with Houston is the lack of hole in the wall Tex/Mex restaurants. San Antonio is FULL of them! Affordable, cheap and some really good. For example, today very near my repair job I had two large cheese enchiladas, rice, refried beans, a small salad with a small scoop of guacamole, a generous portion of carne guisada and two hand made tortillas for $5.29.

I've lived in San Antone since '65. Some of best Tex\Mex I've ever
eaten has been at some of the mom and pop type places. There is\was a
Tex\Mex restaurant on Austin Highway that was run by an Iranian guy.
Killer food and great daily lunch specials. Nice guy too. Spoke with
all his customers to make sure everything was okay. He ran a tight
ship. Service was very good.

When we lived in Austin in the early 80's, we ate one night at a great
Tex/Mex place - in a large old house that was a concerted storefront.
The Tex/Mex was Tex/Mex-Indian Mexico Indian food - it was good. No
telling if it exists today - Wish it were here in East Texas.

Any food places show up on your phone or GPS for food ? might be another
list to look at.

Martin
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, October 29, 2014 9:51:36 PM UTC-5, Gray_Wolf wrote:

I've lived in San Antone since '65. Some of best Tex\Mex I've ever
eaten has been at some of the mom and pop type places.

Been here since '66 when the family moved here. No doubt, the Mom and Pop places are the best. Tex/Mex is cheap, plentiful and good here.

Of course, that may be why we have the problems we do with obesity and diabetes...

Robert

Swingman woodchucker[_3_] Woodworking 1 May 3rd 14 03:38 AM
Leon's Desk... (ping Leon) Morris Dovey Woodworking 8 July 29th 08 01:49 PM
Ping Leon, Swingman Teamcasa Woodworking 5 June 19th 06 11:02 PM
Hey Swingman - You've Been Plagurized! Mike Marlow Woodworking 10 March 31st 06 01:58 PM
Ho, Swingman nospambob Woodworking 10 July 24th 05 07:06 PM