Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default OT - Swingman and Leon

On 10/29/2014 2:30 AM, wrote:
On Tuesday, October 28, 2014 10:19:13 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Seafood more so than San Antonio not so much as cities on the water,
like Rock Port, Corpus Christi, Port Aransas, Galveston, etc.
Houston can satisfy any cuisine. Probably has one of the best varieties
of GOOD restaurants.

True enough. I do like the Thai food restaurants here as well as any I have eaten at, and we have several extremely tasty (and expensive) restaurants here that serve other specialty foods that have been featured on television. I think San Antonio holds the record for number of restaurants shown on Diners, Drive Ins an Dives.

Our huge military/ex military population has brought folks from all over the world that have opened restaurants here when they settle. Lots of good stuff to eat here.

My serious problem with Houston is the lack of hole in the wall Tex/Mex restaurants. San Antonio is FULL of them! Affordable, cheap and some really good. For example, today very near my repair job I had two large cheese enchiladas, rice, refried beans, a small salad with a small scoop of guacamole, a generous portion of carne guisada and two hand made tortillas for $5.29.

My compass rose has dozens or those places on it that allow me to get my Tex/Mex fix as needed. Anything from Caldo de Res to green enchiladas or Chile Relleno are fixtures for the ubiquitous "lunch special" all these places seem to have.

When my sister came in last month to visit with my Mom, I found another joint by Mom's independent living compound that had an outstanding calabasa con pollo which their version is a spicy Mexican stewed squash preparation served over spicy baked chicken. With chips, homemade salsa (a real requirement around here), two homemade flour tortillas and tea, it was $5.49. She loved it.

Since she grew up here too, she loves it when we can sneak off and get some of the Tex/Mex she remembers. In all her years in Houston (30?) she has looked but never found more than a couple of hole in the wall "joints".

I will say though, that after that outstanding Mex place that we all went to one year at Christmas, they went there with their neighbors and it was a big hit! That was sure good, and Kathy still remembers the fish dish she got there.

Robert

Los Gallitos!