nospambob

Default Ho, Swingman

You mentioned a "birds mouth" joint and I tried to post what shows
below but haven't seen it. Is there a compendium of joints anywhere?
Tage Frid index to book 1 doesn't list it. Does birds mouth joint
have another name, like bridle joint and slip joint?

Your suggestion brings forth the question "Is there a source for name
to visual aid for joints?". Haven't looked in Tage Frid Teaches
Woodworking yet but intend to (if I can remember).

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 17:25:41 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

Don't discount the birds mouth joint for your planter.

Edwin Pawlowski

"nospambob" wrote in message
You mentioned a "birds mouth" joint and I tried to post what shows
below but haven't seen it. Is there a compendium of joints anywhere?
Tage Frid index to book 1 doesn't list it. Does birds mouth joint
have another name, like bridle joint and slip joint?

Your suggestion brings forth the question "Is there a source for name
to visual aid for joints?". Haven't looked in Tage Frid Teaches
Woodworking yet but intend to (if I can remember).

Check the Lee Valley catalog. They sell a router bit just for that.

Tom Watson

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 11:29:32 -0700, nospambob
wrote:

You mentioned a "birds mouth" joint and I tried to post what shows
below but haven't seen it. Is there a compendium of joints anywhere?
Tage Frid index to book 1 doesn't list it. Does birds mouth joint
have another name, like bridle joint and slip joint?

Your suggestion brings forth the question "Is there a source for name
to visual aid for joints?". Haven't looked in Tage Frid Teaches
Woodworking yet but intend to (if I can remember).

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 17:25:41 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

Don't discount the birds mouth joint for your planter.

A bird's mouth is the notch cut in a rafter to receive the top plate
of the wall.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/rm_home_ext...398229,00.html

(see figure M)

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)
Dave in Fairfax

Tom Watson wrote:
A bird's mouth is the notch cut in a rafter to receive the top plate
of the wall.

Yup, that's the only one I know of by that name. I'm not quite sure how
that works with a planter...

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: daveldr at att dot net
Swingman

"Dave in Fairfax" wrote in message
Tom Watson wrote:
A bird's mouth is the notch cut in a rafter to receive the top plate
of the wall.

Yup, that's the only one I know of by that name. I'm not quite sure how
that works with a planter...

Semantics ... much like the term "dado", which has a completely different
meaning to a classical architect than it does to a woodworker.

Named primarily, and conveniently, because of the way the joint looks,
whether it be in frame construction, or planter boxes. A birds mouth router
bit cuts a bird's mouth shaped joint that is perfect for spars, barrel
shapes, and other multi-sided, hollow objects.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/12/05

Dave in Fairfax

Swingman wrote:
Semantics ... much like the term "dado", which has a completely different
meaning to a classical architect than it does to a woodworker.
Named primarily, and conveniently, because of the way the joint looks,
whether it be in frame construction, or planter boxes. A birds mouth router
bit cuts a bird's mouth shaped joint that is perfect for spars, barrel
shapes, and other multi-sided, hollow objects.

I'm having a hard time vusualizing this, bear with me. It sounds like a
half-dovetail, sort of. Is that the corner joinery on the planter?

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.patinatools.org
bridger

Dave in Fairfax wrote:
Swingman wrote:
Semantics ... much like the term "dado", which has a completely different
meaning to a classical architect than it does to a woodworker.
Named primarily, and conveniently, because of the way the joint looks,
whether it be in frame construction, or planter boxes. A birds mouth router
bit cuts a bird's mouth shaped joint that is perfect for spars, barrel
shapes, and other multi-sided, hollow objects.

I'm having a hard time vusualizing this, bear with me. It sounds like a
half-dovetail, sort of. Is that the corner joinery on the planter?

Dave in Fairfax

kind of. think if you set up a dado stack, tilted the arbor on your saw
and plowed a groove down the edge of a board that the edge of another
board just fit into. now the boards are joined in a trough. do a bunch
of them together and they wrap all the way around into a tube.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Dave in Fairfax" wrote in message

I'm having a hard time vusualizing this, bear with me. It sounds like a
half-dovetail, sort of. Is that the corner joinery on the planter?

Dave in Fairfax

Look here; http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...60&cat=1,46168

WillR

nospambob wrote:
You mentioned a "birds mouth" joint and I tried to post what shows
below but haven't seen it. Is there a compendium of joints anywhere?
Tage Frid index to book 1 doesn't list it. Does birds mouth joint
have another name, like bridle joint and slip joint?
=20
Your suggestion brings forth the question "Is there a source for name
to visual aid for joints?". Haven't looked in Tage Frid Teaches
Woodworking yet but intend to (if I can remember).
=20
On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 17:25:41 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:
=20
=20
Don't discount the birds mouth joint for your planter.

=20
=20

Lee Valley router bit and example.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...3D1,46168,461=
74

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Dave in Fairfax

nospambob wrote:
Thanks Tom, picture is worth a ...!

Yup, makes much more sense now. I was thinking of a square planter.
Thanks.
Dave in Fairfax