Posted to rec.woodworking

Default radial arm saws a thing of the past

never bought a radial arm saw but they were once so popular

am sure this has never been discussed here before

guess everyone buys a mitre saw instead but i would take a radial arm
saw if i saw one on the curb

good for large rough lumber

four bys and six bys etc

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 29 Jun 2017 12:09:48 -0700, Electric Comet
wrote:

am sure this has never been discussed here before

To infinite ad nauseam, and all the tangents possible maybe!
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

am sure this has never been discussed here before

To infinite ad nauseam, and all the tangents possible maybe!

At one time almost as much as the SawStop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, June 29, 2017 at 3:09:51 PM UTC-4, Electric Comet wrote:
never bought a radial arm saw but they were once so popular

am sure this has never been discussed here before

guess everyone buys a mitre saw instead but i would take a radial arm
saw if i saw one on the curb

good for large rough lumber

four bys and six bys etc

They are good for precision cutting of 1/2" and 3/8" steel plate.

Hey, how about a picture!

All 5 pieces of steel for this Soap Box Derby axle mount were cut on a radial
arm saw. Everything from the large triangular piece on the bottom to the small
rectangle on the top. (The piece running horizontal across the image is the
axle)

http://i.imgur.com/JRkBl2y.jpg

You just have to make sure that you keep the sheet of plywood protecting the
wall behind the blade very moist.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, June 29, 2017 at 3:51:30 PM UTC-4, wrote:

....snip...

Miter saws and sliding miter saws do everything the radial arm saw does,
except more accurate and easier.

....snip...

Not everything. It's pretty hard to cut a 12" wide, 3/8" thick steel plate on
a miter saw. Put a metal cutting blade on radial arm saw and make multiple
passes, increasing the depth of cut each time. It takes time, but if the
plate is properly secured and you have a lot of patience, you can make some
extremely accurate cuts.

Try cutting the steel for this on miter saw.

http://i.imgur.com/JRkBl2y.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, June 29, 2017 at 9:02:17 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, June 29, 2017 at 3:51:30 PM UTC-4, wrote:

...snip...

Miter saws and sliding miter saws do everything the radial arm saw does,
except more accurate and easier.

...snip...

Not everything. It's pretty hard to cut a 12" wide, 3/8" thick steel plate on
a miter saw.

I cut metal with a hacksaw, jigsaw, or reciprocating saw. Its also possible to cut on a table saw. Just put the metal cutting, grinder blade on it and run the metal against the fence.

Several people have mentioned cutting dadoes and rabbets on the radial arm saw. I've heard that is deadly and dangerous. Not something I would want to do when I have a nice table saw to safely cut dadoes and rabbets.

The radial arm saw can do lots of things. You can rip on the radial arm saw too! It just doesn't do much well. Its mediocre and/or dangerous for many of the things it does.

Put a metal cutting blade on radial arm saw and make multiple
passes, increasing the depth of cut each time. It takes time, but if the
plate is properly secured and you have a lot of patience, you can make some
extremely accurate cuts.

Try cutting the steel for this on miter saw.

http://i.imgur.com/JRkBl2y.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 29 Jun 2017 19:28:34 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Thursday, June 29, 2017 at 9:02:17 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, June 29, 2017 at 3:51:30 PM UTC-4, wrote:

...snip...

Miter saws and sliding miter saws do everything the radial arm saw does,
except more accurate and easier.

...snip...

Not everything. It's pretty hard to cut a 12" wide, 3/8" thick steel plate on
a miter saw.

I cut metal with a hacksaw, jigsaw, or reciprocating saw. Its also possible to cut on a table saw. Just put the metal cutting, grinder blade on it and run the metal against the fence.

Several people have mentioned cutting dadoes and rabbets on the radial arm saw. I've heard that is deadly and dangerous. Not something I would want to do when I have a nice table saw to safely cut dadoes and rabbets.

These cuts aren't dangerous because the blade can't be pinched. It's
rips that are dangerous (crosscuts much less so).

The radial arm saw can do lots of things. You can rip on the radial arm saw too! It just doesn't do much well. Its mediocre and/or dangerous for many of the things it does.

Put a metal cutting blade on radial arm saw and make multiple
passes, increasing the depth of cut each time. It takes time, but if the
plate is properly secured and you have a lot of patience, you can make some
extremely accurate cuts.

Try cutting the steel for this on miter saw.

http://i.imgur.com/JRkBl2y.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, June 29, 2017 at 10:28:39 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thursday, June 29, 2017 at 9:02:17 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, June 29, 2017 at 3:51:30 PM UTC-4, wrote:

...snip...

Miter saws and sliding miter saws do everything the radial arm saw does,
except more accurate and easier.

...snip...

Not everything. It's pretty hard to cut a 12" wide, 3/8" thick steel plate on
a miter saw.

I cut metal with a hacksaw, jigsaw, or reciprocating saw. Its also possible to cut on a table saw. Just put the metal cutting, grinder blade on it and run the metal against the fence.

Look at the edges on the pieces of steel shown in the image I posted. Do
you really think you could produce an edge like that on a 3/8" thick
plate with hacksaw, jigsaw, or reciprocating saw? Would you really try to
cut pieces that small on a table saw?

There is no way you could produce those results with any of the tools you've
mentioned.

Besides, your claim was that "Miter saws and sliding miter saws do
everything the radial arm saw does, except more accurate and easier."

Bull. They can't do this:

http://i.imgur.com/JRkBl2y.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote in newsj3j2q$fi1$2
@dont-email.me:

never bought a radial arm saw but they were once so popular

am sure this has never been discussed here before

guess everyone buys a mitre saw instead but i would take a radial arm
saw if i saw one on the curb

good for large rough lumber

four bys and six bys etc

Here's the problem: They can't be made cheap. A RAS can be a very useful
addition to a shop, but you've got to buy a good one. The SCMS or even CMS
can be made at a sub-200 price point and give "good enough" cuts, while a
cheap RAS will never hold its settings.

My RAS is an old DeWalt I've tuned up and it's the most accurate saw in the
shop.

These saws are easy to use incorrectly--do you start with the wood trapped
between blade and fence and push the sawblade away from you? I saw people
advocating that method on an internet discussion (I know, Bon Jour!).
Positive or negative hook blade? When do you lock the carriage?

When something brown shorts worthy happens on a RAS (and I'm not talking
about the UPS man), what usually occurs?

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, June 29, 2017 at 3:51:30 PM UTC-4, wrote:

...snip...

Miter saws and sliding miter saws do everything the radial arm saw does,
except more accurate and easier.

...snip...

Not everything. It's pretty hard to cut a 12" wide, 3/8" thick steel plate on
a miter saw. Put a metal cutting blade on radial arm saw and make multiple
passes, increasing the depth of cut each time. It takes time, but if the
plate is properly secured and you have a lot of patience, you can make some
extremely accurate cuts.

Try cutting the steel for this on miter saw.

http://i.imgur.com/JRkBl2y.jpg

Or try cutting dado's, or mounting a molding cutter, or do some horizontal
boring, or. Ripping a board with a miter or sliding miter saw. I have
done all of the above when I had a RAS.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/29/2017 11:02 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Electric Comet wrote in newsj3j2q$fi1$2
@dont-email.me:

[snip]

good for large rough lumber

four bys and six bys etc

Here's the problem: They can't be made cheap. A RAS can be a very useful
addition to a shop, but you've got to buy a good one. The SCMS or even CMS
can be made at a sub-200 price point and give "good enough" cuts, while a
cheap RAS will never hold its settings.

My RAS is an old DeWalt I've tuned up and it's the most accurate saw in the
shop.

That's it in a nutshell. A GOOD RAS that's been accurately
tuned/adjusted is a marvelous tool that can do just about anything to a
piece of wood that needs to be done (save for breaking down a a large
panel into something manageable, but that's why we have circular saws)

I've got an old Craftsman (ca 1968-69) that is a gem. Built cabinets,
furniture, remodeling and new construction with it for years before
finally landing a deal on a Jet Cabinet saw. Still have and
occasionally use the RAS.

These saws are easy to use incorrectly--do you start with the wood trapped
between blade and fence and push the sawblade away from you? I saw people
advocating that method on an internet discussion (I know, Bon Jour!).
Positive or negative hook blade? When do you lock the carriage?

Seen folks advocating that push to cut as well. Scary. I always pull
it through the cut and so long as you are bright enough to realize that
the blade will have a tendency to "help" itself through the cut and work
to counteract that, you're fine. If you aren't smart enough to realize
it, then maybe you should find another hobby.

When something brown shorts worthy happens on a RAS (and I'm not talking
about the UPS man), what usually occurs?

I know, but I'm not sure how to post blade jammed and motor cooking off.
;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 30 Jun 2017 06:36:18 -0500, Leon wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, June 29, 2017 at 3:51:30 PM UTC-4, wrote:

...snip...

Miter saws and sliding miter saws do everything the radial arm saw does,
except more accurate and easier.

...snip...

Not everything. It's pretty hard to cut a 12" wide, 3/8" thick steel plate on
a miter saw. Put a metal cutting blade on radial arm saw and make multiple
passes, increasing the depth of cut each time. It takes time, but if the
plate is properly secured and you have a lot of patience, you can make some
extremely accurate cuts.

Try cutting the steel for this on miter saw.

http://i.imgur.com/JRkBl2y.jpg

Or try cutting dado's, or mounting a molding cutter, or do some horizontal
boring, or. Ripping a board with a miter or sliding miter saw. I have
done all of the above when I had a RAS.

You just need a GOOD Radial Arm Saw, and there was a LOT of JUNK
sold as Radial Arm Saws. I had a cheap Craftsman round arm and I
smashed it up before putting it on the ketrb. A good De-Walt, or even
the expensive craftsman, is a TOTALLY different animal. My neighbour's
old dewalt is extremely accurate, but ever since he had the motor
rewound, if it gets overloaded it reverses, and kicks the work out of
the saw - which DOES make it dangerous!!
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

I don't think anyone is saying a radial arm saw is awful, horrible,
terrible, evil.

*** No only a Delta RAS is awful, horrible, terrible & evil. Most others
are fine within their power and size specifications.

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I actually did all of the above with a Craftsman RAS, new 1979 ish.

My neighbour's
old dewalt is extremely accurate, but ever since he had the motor
rewound, if it gets overloaded it reverses, and kicks the work out of
the saw - which DOES make it dangerous!!

Crap!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 30 Jun 2017 20:15:30 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Thursday, June 29, 2017 at 9:02:17 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, June 29, 2017 at 3:51:30 PM UTC-4, wrote:

...snip...

Miter saws and sliding miter saws do everything the radial arm saw does,
except more accurate and easier.

...snip...

Not everything. It's pretty hard to cut a 12" wide, 3/8" thick steel plate on
a miter saw.

I cut metal with a hacksaw, jigsaw, or reciprocating saw. Its also possible to cut on a table saw. Just put the metal cutting, grinder blade on it and run the metal against the fence.

Several people have mentioned cutting dadoes and rabbets on the radial arm saw. I've heard that is deadly and dangerous.

Heard from who? Do you own one yourself? Have you ever? If not then
perhaps you shouldn't be arguing with people who do.

Not something I would want to do when I have a nice table saw to safely
cut dadoes and rabbets.

The radial arm saw can do lots of things. You can rip on the radial arm saw too! It just doesn't do much well. Its mediocre and/or dangerous for many of the things it does.

Based on what experience?

If I could only have ONE power woodworking tool it would be the best
radial arm saw I could get my hands on, with all the attachments
available for it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 29 Jun 2017 12:51:25 -0700 (PDT)
" wrote:

I don't think anyone is saying a radial arm saw is awful, horrible,

most tools that get a bad rap are due to usage by the uninitiated

one has to be in physical control of the radial arm saw or it will
grab

cut speed has to be controlled manually and that has surprised a
few people i am sure

terrible, evil. It just doesn't really have much use for the vast
majority of people. It does some things very well. As you said,
cutting large 4x4, 6x6, big rough lumber. Something very few people
do much of. If I owned a sawmill, I would likely have a radial arm
saw sitting around because it can cross cut a 24" wide board that is
4 inches thick. But other than a sawmill, who needs that ability? A
radial arm saw is good for cross cutting up to about 24" I think.
12" is the most almost anyone needs though. Crosscutting at 90
degrees only. Its not good to adjust the angle to 45 degrees or

there were some higher end radial arm saws that did well with angles
usually larger too like 14 or 16 inch saws

anything else. Not accurate except at 90 degrees only. Don't think
its safe or good at compound cuts either. Miter saws and sliding
miter saws do everything the radial arm saw does, except more
accurate and easier.

blade technology also makes a big difference
first time i used a freud on the skilsaw it really felt like a
different saw

hammer a little trim nail exactly. Air guns are just better in most
cases. But like the radial arm saw, manual winging hammers are
needed in some specific situations.

something about hammering nails sometimes it is just fun

but palm nailers and air guns are a lot of fun too

hammers will always be around but looks like fewer and fewer choices
if you want a radial arm saw

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote:

I don't think anyone is saying a radial arm saw is awful, horrible,

most tools that get a bad rap are due to usage by the uninitiated

No, it's due to the intrinsic danger. These tools *are* dangerous.

one has to be in physical control of the radial arm saw or it will
grab

Not unless something goes wrong. If it does...

cut speed has to be controlled manually and that has surprised a
few people i am sure

Really? Tables saws are automatic? Bandsaws are automatic? Really?

[...]

You can thank the snowflakes. Remember, Radial Arm Saws are known to
cause cancer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Try making a bowl with a miter saw. Try making a 1.5" x .75" X 10"
stick with a miter saw. Yeah, there is a bunch of things to do with a
radial arm saw.

And accuracy is the job of the user to determine.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Actually the miter/chop saw is just as dangerous.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Not at all. They don't come to get you.