Posted to rec.woodworking
OFWW[_5_] OFWW[_5_] is offline

Default radial arm saws a thing of the past

On Thu, 29 Jun 2017 12:51:25 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I don't think anyone is saying a radial arm saw is awful, horrible, terrible, evil. It just doesn't really have much use for the vast majority of people. It does some things very well. As you said, cutting large 4x4, 6x6, big rough lumber. Something very few people do much of. If I owned a sawmill, I would likely have a radial arm saw sitting around because it can cross cut a 24" wide board that is 4 inches thick. But other than a sawmill, who needs that ability? A radial arm saw is good for cross cutting up to about 24" I think. 12" is the most almost anyone needs though. Crosscutting at 90 degrees only. Its not good to adjust the angle to 45 degrees or anything else. Not accurate except at 90 degrees only. Don't think its safe or good at compound cuts either. Miter saws and sliding miter saws do everything the radial arm saw does, except more accurate and easier.

Try making a bowl with a miter saw. Try making a 1.5" x .75" X 10"
stick with a miter saw. Yeah, there is a bunch of things to do with a
radial arm saw.

And accuracy is the job of the user to determine.

---