Posted to rec.woodworking

Default radial arm saws a thing of the past

On Fri, 30 Jun 2017 20:15:30 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Thursday, June 29, 2017 at 9:02:17 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, June 29, 2017 at 3:51:30 PM UTC-4, wrote:

...snip...

Miter saws and sliding miter saws do everything the radial arm saw does,
except more accurate and easier.

...snip...

Not everything. It's pretty hard to cut a 12" wide, 3/8" thick steel plate on
a miter saw.

I cut metal with a hacksaw, jigsaw, or reciprocating saw. Its also possible to cut on a table saw. Just put the metal cutting, grinder blade on it and run the metal against the fence.

Several people have mentioned cutting dadoes and rabbets on the radial arm saw. I've heard that is deadly and dangerous.

Heard from who? Do you own one yourself? Have you ever? If not then
perhaps you shouldn't be arguing with people who do.

Not something I would want to do when I have a nice table saw to safely
cut dadoes and rabbets.

The radial arm saw can do lots of things. You can rip on the radial arm saw too! It just doesn't do much well. Its mediocre and/or dangerous for many of the things it does.

Based on what experience?

If I could only have ONE power woodworking tool it would be the best
radial arm saw I could get my hands on, with all the attachments
available for it.