Posted to rec.woodworking

Default radial arm saws a thing of the past

On Thu, 29 Jun 2017 19:28:34 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Thursday, June 29, 2017 at 9:02:17 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, June 29, 2017 at 3:51:30 PM UTC-4, wrote:

...snip...

Miter saws and sliding miter saws do everything the radial arm saw does,
except more accurate and easier.

...snip...

Not everything. It's pretty hard to cut a 12" wide, 3/8" thick steel plate on
a miter saw.

I cut metal with a hacksaw, jigsaw, or reciprocating saw. Its also possible to cut on a table saw. Just put the metal cutting, grinder blade on it and run the metal against the fence.

Several people have mentioned cutting dadoes and rabbets on the radial arm saw. I've heard that is deadly and dangerous. Not something I would want to do when I have a nice table saw to safely cut dadoes and rabbets.

These cuts aren't dangerous because the blade can't be pinched. It's
rips that are dangerous (crosscuts much less so).

The radial arm saw can do lots of things. You can rip on the radial arm saw too! It just doesn't do much well. Its mediocre and/or dangerous for many of the things it does.

Put a metal cutting blade on radial arm saw and make multiple
passes, increasing the depth of cut each time. It takes time, but if the
plate is properly secured and you have a lot of patience, you can make some
extremely accurate cuts.

Try cutting the steel for this on miter saw.

http://i.imgur.com/JRkBl2y.jpg