Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default radial arm saws a thing of the past

On 6/30/2017 10:54 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jun 2017 06:36:18 -0500, Leon wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, June 29, 2017 at 3:51:30 PM UTC-4, wrote:

...snip...

Miter saws and sliding miter saws do everything the radial arm saw does,
except more accurate and easier.

...snip...

Not everything. It's pretty hard to cut a 12" wide, 3/8" thick steel plate on
a miter saw. Put a metal cutting blade on radial arm saw and make multiple
passes, increasing the depth of cut each time. It takes time, but if the
plate is properly secured and you have a lot of patience, you can make some
extremely accurate cuts.

Try cutting the steel for this on miter saw.

http://i.imgur.com/JRkBl2y.jpg

Or try cutting dado's, or mounting a molding cutter, or do some horizontal
boring, or. Ripping a board with a miter or sliding miter saw. I have
done all of the above when I had a RAS.

You just need a GOOD Radial Arm Saw, and there was a LOT of JUNK
sold as Radial Arm Saws. I had a cheap Craftsman round arm and I
smashed it up before putting it on the ketrb. A good De-Walt, or even
the expensive craftsman, is a TOTALLY different animal.

I actually did all of the above with a Craftsman RAS, new 1979 ish.

My neighbour's
old dewalt is extremely accurate, but ever since he had the motor
rewound, if it gets overloaded it reverses, and kicks the work out of
the saw - which DOES make it dangerous!!

Crap!