Posted to rec.woodworking

Default radial arm saws a thing of the past

On Thursday, June 29, 2017 at 3:49:49 PM UTC-5, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 6/29/2017 3:51 PM, wrote:
Miter saws and sliding miter saws do everything the radial arm saw does, except more accurate and easier.

Well, not dadoes & rabbets.

The only reason I still have mine around is just for those two reasons. Although I don't know why at this time... I haven't built but a handful of cabinets in the last ten years.

When I did a lot of office/warehouse finish outs they spec'd out "paint grade" cabinets, and it was a snap to dado in the sides for permanent shelf placement. Likewise, turn the motor parallel to he fence and do rabbets.

Unless the fully spec the cabinets, I go to HD and buy their unfinished oak cabs, ready for paint. I take the doors off, spray the carcass, then the doors and reassemble. MUCH cheaper time/labor/material wise than building them from scratch at this point, and the customers are more impressed with getting the color they want than the quality of the cabinets. Besides, if the cabs are a bit flimsy, it is easy enough to reinforce the frames, drawers, etc. as needed.

Guess I should put the saw out to the curb for EC.

Robert