Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bracket Hardware from Lee Valley

This bracket hardware looks really good, but it's damned expensive.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?p=73945
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/30/2016 4:37 PM, wrote:
This bracket hardware looks really good, but it's damned expensive.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?p=73945

Festool is expensive too. ;!)

It is good looking hardware though!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/30/2016 5:37 PM, wrote:
This bracket hardware looks really good, but it's damned expensive.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?p=73945

www.decksdirect.com Not cheap but cheaper

Lee Valley may not be able to buy it right with the Canadian dollar
right now.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 1/30/2016 4:37 PM, wrote:
This bracket hardware looks really good, but it's damned expensive.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?p=73945

Festool is expensive too. ;!)

I think most of us have had enough Fes-Spam. I'm sure they have a web
site. I think they even have a forum. It's sort of like if I visit
yahoo.com, they bombard me with a big top ad. This post struck me just
like that.

It is good looking hardware though!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 1/30/2016 4:37 PM, wrote:
This bracket hardware looks really good, but it's damned expensive.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?p=73945

Festool is expensive too. ;!)

I think most of us have had enough Fes-Spam. I'm sure they have a web
site. I think they even have a forum. It's sort of like if I visit
yahoo.com, they bombard me with a big top ad. This post struck me just
like that.

It is good looking hardware though!

It was an inside joke, Not a Festool promotion.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/31/2016 9:55 AM, Leon wrote:

I think most of us have had enough Fes-Spam.

It was an inside joke, Not a Festool promotion.

Some of us noticed and got a chuckle from it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 10:40:36 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I think most of us have had enough Fes-Spam.

It was an inside joke, Not a Festool promotion.

Some of us noticed and got a chuckle from it.

Those "some of us" have also known for sometime that B*** doesn't have
the faculty to get a chuckle from that type of comment.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 22:25:32 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
Anyway, the biggest complaint about Festool is the price.
So the post started with, bracket hardware looks really good, but it's
damned expensive.
Dave, the OP, owns quite a few Festool products. ;~)

Actually, during my extended absence, my closest friends were looking
after my apartment and my cat. I kind of expected to come back to my
place and find some of those Festool products missing. None were, but
I'd swear there was a little extra saw dust on some of them.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 22:25:32 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
Anyway, the biggest complaint about Festool is the price.
So the post started with, bracket hardware looks really good, but it's
damned expensive.
Dave, the OP, owns quite a few Festool products. ;~)

Actually, during my extended absence, my closest friends were looking
after my apartment and my cat. I kind of expected to come back to my
place and find some of those Festool products missing. None were, but
I'd swear there was a little extra saw dust on some of them.

:-). Was your cat glad to see you?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 21:37:36 -0500, Bill

On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 10:40:36 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I think most of us have had enough Fes-Spam.
It was an inside joke, Not a Festool promotion.
Some of us noticed and got a chuckle from it.

Those "some of us" have also known for sometime that B*** doesn't have
the faculty to get a chuckle from that type of comment.

If you don't already feel like something of an advertising "victim",
then I guess you can't relate.

I guess not. Your choice, though.

No doubt our individual tolerance levels
are different. New in the recent (local?) news is that, this year, the
"Indianapolis 500" will be the "Indianapolis 500, sponsored by
Pennzoil". Chuckle over that.

B***

Would you rather it be the "Pennzoil 500 from Indianapolis" or perhaps
the "Donald Trump 500"? ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 1 Feb 2016 07:40:42 -0600, Leon wrote:
:-). Was your cat glad to see you?

Yup. She ws all over me for an hour and then was gone with a 'sniff'.
Twice though, my friends brought her over to see me. That was nice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 1 Feb 2016 21:54:23 -0500, Bill
wrote:

krw wrote:
On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 21:37:36 -0500, Bill

On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 10:40:36 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I think most of us have had enough Fes-Spam.
It was an inside joke, Not a Festool promotion.
Some of us noticed and got a chuckle from it.
Those "some of us" have also known for sometime that B*** doesn't have
the faculty to get a chuckle from that type of comment.
If you don't already feel like something of an advertising "victim",
then I guess you can't relate.

I guess not. Your choice, though.

No doubt our individual tolerance levels
are different. New in the recent (local?) news is that, this year, the
"Indianapolis 500" will be the "Indianapolis 500, sponsored by
Pennzoil". Chuckle over that.

B***

Would you rather it be the "Pennzoil 500 from Indianapolis" or perhaps
the "Donald Trump 500"? ;-)

Evidently, not everyone regards his mind as his own. For 100 years, the
"Indianapolis 500" was good enough. The accumulation of
"marketing-bombardment" adds up. One can fairly ask, "Which drop of
water caused the glass to overfill?". All I can say is that I am
running fairly "close to full" these days. Funny this phenomenon seems
to peak about every 4 years, in harmony with the political process... YMMV

Bill, it's your choice to be offended. Really! I can't be bothered
by advertising. There are so many other things to devote my waking
time to (and so little of it). OK, the number of ads on TV does get
to me but they make this wonderful gizmo called the fast-forward
button. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

krw wrote:
[...]

Having been to the Speedway in Speedway and through out all public
areas of the track there have been marketing partners through out the
100 years.

Or you can ascribe that evil to Nascar the 800lbs gorilla.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

krw wrote:
[...]

I guess that rules out professional sports...

I can't be bothered
by advertising. There are so many other things to devote my waking
time to (and so little of it). OK, the number of ads on TV does get
to me but they make this wonderful gizmo called the fast-forward
button. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

krw wrote:
[...]

Hell, I even noticed some "Pennzoil" stickers plastered all over some
of the cars! Ugly! ;-)

Or you can ascribe that evil to Nascar the 800lbs gorilla.

How dare they make *money*!
Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote:
On Mon, 1 Feb 2016 22:04:17 -0500, Bill
wrote:

krw wrote:
On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 21:37:36 -0500, Bill

On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 10:40:36 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I think most of us have had enough Fes-Spam.
It was an inside joke, Not a Festool promotion.
Some of us noticed and got a chuckle from it.
Those "some of us" have also known for sometime that B*** doesn't have
the faculty to get a chuckle from that type of comment.
If you don't already feel like something of an advertising "victim",
then I guess you can't relate.
I guess not. Your choice, though.

No doubt our individual tolerance levels
are different. New in the recent (local?) news is that, this year, the
"Indianapolis 500" will be the "Indianapolis 500, sponsored by
Pennzoil". Chuckle over that.

B***
Would you rather it be the "Pennzoil 500 from Indianapolis" or perhaps
the "Donald Trump 500"? ;-)

Just like our air and water quality, our animals and the earth. After we
take everything we can and sell it to the highest bidder, enjoy.... Go
to Flint, MI and get a drink of water...

Are you seriously comparing potentially toxic water to a little
advertising? Really?

Similar "greed" at the source of both, no? Look at what the Internet
has become between the 1990s and now. It's almost like walking downtown
in NYC. I think that our "Inalienable Rights" might be updated to
include some "protection from marketers". I find it a new source of
"pollution". That you have currently found a good way to "hide" does
not, to my mind, eliminate the societal problem. YMMV.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote in
:

Similar "greed" at the source of both, no? Look at what the Internet
has become between the 1990s and now. It's almost like walking
downtown in NYC. I think that our "Inalienable Rights" might be
updated to include some "protection from marketers". I find it a new
source of "pollution". That you have currently found a good way to
"hide" does not, to my mind, eliminate the societal problem. YMMV.

I agree that excessive advertising can be a form of pollution. I went to a
minor league ballgame where they were showing a commercial on the
scoreboard with the sound piped all through the ballpark. You can't get
away from it.

The only way to get rid of some of this advertising is to be proactive in
avoiding and complaining about it. Close websites that require you to
click through/off an ad before viewing the page, take points off of reviews
for obnoxious advertising. Ads aren't ever going to go away, but we can
make sure they're only in acceptable forms.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
Bill wrote in
:

[...]

Yes. I once paid $20 for an "ad filter" for IE that did the same thing
that FireFox now does (for free). I considered it a well-spent $20 at
the time. Like you said, and as with electricity, it would be better
to deal with the problem closer to the source.

Bill

Ads aren't ever going to go away, but we can
make sure they're only in acceptable forms.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:

Ads aren't ever going to go away, but we can
make sure they're only in acceptable forms.

Puckdropper

Now that we have the general background layed out. Imagine B*** sitting
down at his computer, to "get away from it all, or whatever", opening up
his newsgroup reader, and reading in the first (actually second) message:

Festool is expensive too. ;!)

You can't make that stuff up!
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

krw wrote:
[...]

Absolutely *NOT*. You morally equate feeding one's family by running
a grocery store with poisoning your neighbors for political gain.
That, sir, is called "Moral Relativity" at its finest!

Look at what the Internet
has become between the 1990s and now.

Hmm, in 1990 it was a toy. I can really make use of it now, and do.

It's almost like walking downtown
in NYC. I think that our "Inalienable Rights" might be updated to
include some "protection from marketers". I find it a new source of
"pollution". That you have currently found a good way to "hide" does
not, to my mind, eliminate the societal problem. YMMV.

You aren't adult enough to control yourself? You need government to
infringe on other's rights, just to make your life worth living? Sad.
*Really* sad!

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

krw wrote:
[...]

Really? Why? I don't choose to be offended by professional sports.
They can do whatever they want and pay whatever they want (it's not my
money). I ignore what I don't like and if it gets so overwhelming
that it's no longer worth the whole package, I don't watch.
Professional basketball got to that point decades back (and it has
nothing to do with ads).

I can't be bothered
by advertising. There are so many other things to devote my waking
time to (and so little of it). OK, the number of ads on TV does get
to me but they make this wonderful gizmo called the fast-forward
button. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

krw wrote:
[...]

Yes. I can more than control myself. I don't have control over my
environment, unless I choose to stay home and stay of the roads. If
elected, I would make others respect the rights of others for a better
environment. Almost always, where there is a conflict between man and
nature, nature loses. I would try to change that. My values comes
before my pocketbook and I have the documentation to prove it.

You need government to
infringe on other's rights, just to make your life worth living? Sad.
*Really* sad!

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

krw wrote:
[...]

Why are you so preoccupied with money? I would not have let the
Superbowl happen last year. It would be nice if the NFL had ideals like
the PGA. You make a mistake on your scorecard and you lose period. It
would have set a nice example for the kids.

I ignore what I don't like and if it gets so overwhelming
that it's no longer worth the whole package, I don't watch.
Professional basketball got to that point decades back (and it has
nothing to do with ads).

I can't be bothered
by advertising. There are so many other things to devote my waking
time to (and so little of it). OK, the number of ads on TV does get
to me but they make this wonderful gizmo called the fast-forward
button. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/2/2016 1:47 AM, Bill wrote:

Puckdropper wrote:

Ads aren't ever going to go away, but we can
make sure they're only in acceptable forms.

Puckdropper

Now that we have the general background layed out. Imagine B*** sitting
down at his computer, to "get away from it all, or whatever", opening up
his newsgroup reader, and reading in the first (actually second) message:

Festool is expensive too. ;!)

You can't make that stuff up!

Imagine L*** sitting down at his computer, to get away from it all, or
whatever, opening up his newsgroup reader, and reading 'B***'*" posts
and them still being totally OT with hardly ever anything related to
woodworking.

You can't make that up.
Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote:
You need government to
infringe on other's rights, just to make your life worth living? Sad.
*Really* sad!

I'm not really thinking so much about me. I'm think what it will be like
for people a generation or two down the road. We need to plant more
trees, literally and spiritually. And by spiritually, I don't
necessarily mean religion--I mean we need to quit teaching kids to shoot
other people with guns. Watch the news. That said, I think more guns
among law-abiding people would be better than fewer guns.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default changed OT - advertising

snips

Having been to the Speedway in Speedway and through out all public
areas of the track there have been marketing partners through out the
100 years.

Hell, I even noticed some "Pennzoil" stickers plastered all over some
of the cars! Ugly! ;-)

Or you can ascribe that evil to Nascar the 800lbs gorilla.

How dare they make *money*!

Some fun images - scrolling down into this blog -
https://lizbinsydney.wordpress.com/
I was searching for the old pic with the baby
all plastered with adverts - found a similar pic there
An early post in this thread made me laugh - Indy/Penzoil -
- hah - motor sports must be the poster-boy for
advertising ! for many many years. Some other sports
were slow-to-the-game - I remember the complaints when
we followed the Europeans and plastered adverts on the
boards of the hockey rinks .. resistance is futile.
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 2/2/2016 1:47 AM, Bill wrote:

Puckdropper wrote:

Ads aren't ever going to go away, but we can
make sure they're only in acceptable forms.

Puckdropper

Now that we have the general background layed out. Imagine B*** sitting
down at his computer, to "get away from it all, or whatever", opening up
his newsgroup reader, and reading in the first (actually second)
message:

Festool is expensive too. ;!)

You can't make that stuff up!

Imagine L*** sitting down at his computer, to get away from it all, or
whatever, opening up his newsgroup reader, and reading 'B***'*" posts
and them still being totally OT with hardly ever anything related to
woodworking.

Well, at least we've come full circle to where you may truly understand
my first post to this thread. People seem to be in a
policitically-minded mood. Perhaps its related to the Iowa caucuses. I
Really like the Lee Valley catalog. And I like they way they tastefully
send out a version several times a year, instead of emailing me perhaps
twice a week like Rockler does. Even Harbor Freight uses a little
restraint. CPO-Woodworking not so much.
.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/2/2016 8:01 AM, Bill wrote:
Snip

Yes. I can more than control myself. I don't have control over my
environment, unless I choose to stay home and stay of the roads. If
elected, I would make others respect the rights of others for a better
environment. Almost always, where there is a conflict between man and
nature, nature loses. I would try to change that. My values comes
before my pocketbook and I have the documentation to prove it.

There are bigger problems that what you consider to be a problem. You
can't change human nature. If you were elected I suspect you would not
be handling real issues if you focused your time on trying to make
people respect each other.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Some fun images - scrolling down into this blog -
https://lizbinsydney.wordpress.com/
Enjoyed the page; read the whole thing. It expressed many of my
thoughts which I have been espousing yesterday and today. It didn't
seem very encouraging. I prefer to be hopeful (part of human nature, I
think).

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 2/2/2016 8:01 AM, Bill wrote:
Snip

Yes. I can more than control myself. I don't have control over my
environment, unless I choose to stay home and stay of the roads. If
elected, I would make others respect the rights of others for a better
environment. Almost always, where there is a conflict between man and
nature, nature loses. I would try to change that. My values comes
before my pocketbook and I have the documentation to prove it.

There are bigger problems that what you consider to be a problem. You
can't change human nature. If you were elected I suspect you would
not be handling real issues if you focused your time on trying to make
people respect each other.

How about making corporations respect people? Maybe we need to give
"corporate entities" some limits and guidelines. A received a notice
from the bank today, a big bank, New Rule: Discrepancies concerning
deposit slips may or may not be corrected, at the banks discretion, if
the discrepancy is less than $10. Someone must have stayed up all night
thinking of that new profit generating idea... I wonder which ones
they will correct? Too much to ask for a bank to have to put the
customer's money into his or her account?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 2/2/2016 8:01 AM, Bill wrote:
Snip

[...]

I decided to be "proactive" and tried to contact the bank. No email
access. The phone number didn't allow me to connect with a customer
representative. Happy day. I will strive to make a point of sharing
my opinions about this one way or another. Maybe our motto should be:
People have rights too! The "customer agreements" get longer every year.
So long, that it's not practical to even read most of them. I do not
think the new policy will help make the world a better place.
Maybe I'll short them $5 on my next deposit, and see whether they
correct it or not... : )

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote in
:

wrote:

No doubt our individual tolerance levels
are different. New in the recent (local?) news is that, this year,
the "Indianapolis 500" will be the "Indianapolis 500, sponsored by
Pennzoil". Chuckle over that.

Would you rather it be the "Pennzoil 500 from Indianapolis" or
perhaps the "Donald Trump 500"? ;-)

Evidently, not everyone regards his mind as his own. For 100 years,
the "Indianapolis 500" was good enough.

Actually, no. The race you speak of has only been called
the Indianapolis 500 since 1981 (usually "the Indianapolis
500 presented by Firestone" or something like that on TV).
Prior to 1981 it was officially called the International
Sweepstakes (sometimes the International 500 Mile Sweepstakes).

Amoung auto racing folk, it's just called the 500.

John

(recognizing that that's irrelevant to Bill's point, but we
may as well be accurate)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/2/2016 9:03 AM, Bill wrote:
How about making corporations respect people? Maybe we need to give
"corporate entities" some limits and guidelines.

Corporations generally have a right to do business as they see fit ...
or in a manner, no matter how stupid or ill advised, that they can get away.

The customer only has a right to take their business elsewhere, so far.

The problem, as you are experiencing, starts soon after you get
government involvement.

Works briefly in your favor, then you idiots allow your elected
representatives to sell you out and you eventually get the phenomenon
know as "regulatory capture" ... always to the detriment of the consumer.

The banking and investment industry are perfect examples, as well as
cable and internet providers.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Shelf bracket Grumps UK diy 2 July 16th 07 12:45 PM
What kind of bracket is this? Greg Esres Home Repair 15 July 4th 07 08:06 AM
bracket strength Chris Carruth Metalworking 11 August 26th 05 10:32 PM
strengthening bracket? Jim UK diy 11 March 24th 05 02:01 PM
Handrail bracket Don Woodworking 0 March 12th 05 08:50 PM