Jim

Default strengthening bracket?

Hi- I'm looking for a brass fitting to span between a wall and a post
to ensure the post stays rigidly in place. (Brass since it will fit in
with the rest of the decor).

The span needs to be about 8" wide and ideally have a little vertical
difference between the 2 attachment points (think like the shape of an
arched buttress).

Does anyone have any suggestions where I might purchase such an item or
sites that might be of interest?

Thanks

Harry Bloomfield

Jim pretended :
Hi- I'm looking for a brass fitting to span between a wall and a post
to ensure the post stays rigidly in place. (Brass since it will fit in
with the rest of the decor).

The span needs to be about 8" wide and ideally have a little vertical
difference between the 2 attachment points (think like the shape of an
arched buttress).

Does anyone have any suggestions where I might purchase such an item or
sites that might be of interest?

Could you not make one from some flat brass strip?

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Jim

I'm not proficient enough yet, I would think... also have no
metalworking tools.

I've drawn what I need to get here (it's a .gif image)

http://tinyurl.com/54ts5

Once again, any suggestions or advice, please.

Thanks

Cicero

"Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm not proficient enough yet, I would think... also have no
metalworking tools.

I've drawn what I need to get here (it's a .gif image)

http://tinyurl.com/54ts5

Once again, any suggestions or advice, please.

Thanks

========================
You could get a plumber / pipe fitter to make it from two threaded pipe
flanges with a short length of pipe to connect. It wouldn't be brass but you
could paint it with a suitable 'Hammerite' colour.

Cic.

Jim wrote:
I'm not proficient enough yet, I would think... also have no
metalworking tools.

I've drawn what I need to get here (it's a .gif image)

http://tinyurl.com/54ts5

Once again, any suggestions or advice, please.

Thanks

youd have to have that custom made. Think of going with wood instead.

NT

Jim wrote:
I'm not proficient enough yet, I would think... also have no
metalworking tools.

I've drawn what I need to get here (it's a .gif image)

http://tinyurl.com/54ts5

Once again, any suggestions or advice, please.

Thanks

On second thought I know how you could make it, if youre wiling to make
the angles steeper. Get the required pipe, 3/4", and bend it to shape.
It will need to meet the left wall at 90 degs, and the right one at a
much steeper angle. Now a standard rail end fixing can be used at the
left end, and at the right, drill and dish a hole in the pipe and screw
though it. That then leaves the job of mocking a fixing plate up to
cover the real fixing. Probably could do this with a bit of mdf and a
lathe (use a mains drill for the lathe, with angle grinder for cutting
tool), cutting out the odd shaped centre hole and using filler after
fitting.

Pipes: copper is the nearest colour, or maybe you could use chrome with
coloured varnish.

Youll need pipe bender and angle grinder.

But, I wouldnt bother unless there was a very good reason!

NT

Jim

Hi and thanks for replying.

I want the bracket to arch across the span. I would also ideally like
the cross section of the arch to be rectangular with rounded edges
(I'm envisaging the cross-section of the arch being about 2" wide by 3"
high).

Currently the only tools I have are a basic workbench, a jigsaw (I
think I could use this to cut the arch shape), electric sander and a
Makita 14.4v drill.

I don't mind buying extra tools since I plan to do more diy in the
future. However, I'm not sure which tools you mentioned would be most
useful for this job. Could you please suggest what would be most useful
for me to buy?

Thanks

Jim

Rob Morley wrote:
A drum sander attachment for the drill might be useful for smoothing
and rounding if you don't fancy getting a router. A set of wood
chisels (and a mallet) is pretty much essential.

Thanks for the advice - however, I spoilt myself, and a lovely DeWalt
DW621K router has just arrived earlier today... (seemed to have a
lot of recommendations).

Thanks to all who have replied. I'm off to do my diy now....