DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   strengthening bracket? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/95619-strengthening-bracket.html)

Jim March 18th 05 12:47 PM

strengthening bracket?

Hi- I'm looking for a brass fitting to span between a wall and a post
to ensure the post stays rigidly in place. (Brass since it will fit in
with the rest of the decor).

The span needs to be about 8" wide and ideally have a little vertical
difference between the 2 attachment points (think like the shape of an
arched buttress).

Does anyone have any suggestions where I might purchase such an item or
sites that might be of interest?

Thanks

Harry Bloomfield March 19th 05 05:49 PM

Jim pretended :
Hi- I'm looking for a brass fitting to span between a wall and a post
to ensure the post stays rigidly in place. (Brass since it will fit in
with the rest of the decor).

The span needs to be about 8" wide and ideally have a little vertical
difference between the 2 attachment points (think like the shape of an
arched buttress).

Does anyone have any suggestions where I might purchase such an item or
sites that might be of interest?

Could you not make one from some flat brass strip?

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Jim March 20th 05 02:08 AM

I'm not proficient enough yet, I would think... also have no
metalworking tools.

I've drawn what I need to get here (it's a .gif image)

http://tinyurl.com/54ts5

Once again, any suggestions or advice, please.

Thanks

Cicero March 20th 05 08:40 AM

"Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm not proficient enough yet, I would think... also have no
metalworking tools.

I've drawn what I need to get here (it's a .gif image)

http://tinyurl.com/54ts5

Once again, any suggestions or advice, please.

Thanks

========================
You could get a plumber / pipe fitter to make it from two threaded pipe
flanges with a short length of pipe to connect. It wouldn't be brass but you
could paint it with a suitable 'Hammerite' colour.

Cic.

[email protected] March 21st 05 11:42 AM

Jim wrote:
I'm not proficient enough yet, I would think... also have no
metalworking tools.

I've drawn what I need to get here (it's a .gif image)

http://tinyurl.com/54ts5

Once again, any suggestions or advice, please.

Thanks

youd have to have that custom made. Think of going with wood instead.

NT

[email protected] March 21st 05 11:48 AM

Jim wrote:
I'm not proficient enough yet, I would think... also have no
metalworking tools.

I've drawn what I need to get here (it's a .gif image)

http://tinyurl.com/54ts5

Once again, any suggestions or advice, please.

Thanks

On second thought I know how you could make it, if youre wiling to make
the angles steeper. Get the required pipe, 3/4", and bend it to shape.
It will need to meet the left wall at 90 degs, and the right one at a
much steeper angle. Now a standard rail end fixing can be used at the
left end, and at the right, drill and dish a hole in the pipe and screw
though it. That then leaves the job of mocking a fixing plate up to
cover the real fixing. Probably could do this with a bit of mdf and a
lathe (use a mains drill for the lathe, with angle grinder for cutting
tool), cutting out the odd shaped centre hole and using filler after
fitting.

Pipes: copper is the nearest colour, or maybe you could use chrome with
coloured varnish.

Youll need pipe bender and angle grinder.

But, I wouldnt bother unless there was a very good reason!

NT

Jim March 21st 05 02:21 PM

wrote:
Jim wrote:

youd have to have that custom made. Think of going with wood instead.

NT

What a good idea. Don't know why I didn't think of that myself., and it
would be a fun project.

Any advice as to what wood/what tools I'd need? I've got a jigsaw, so I
should be able to cut an arch shape, but what would I use to round the
edges with? I want it to look reasonably well done since it will be in
a very prominent position.

Thanks for any advice.

[email protected] March 21st 05 08:32 PM

Jim wrote:
wrote:

youd have to have that custom made. Think of going with wood

instead.

What a good idea. Don't know why I didn't think of that myself., and

it
would be a fun project.

Any advice as to what wood/what tools I'd need? I've got a jigsaw, so

should be able to cut an arch shape, but what would I use to round

the
edges with? I want it to look reasonably well done since it will be

in
a very prominent position.

Thanks for any advice.

I think a router would be the clear winner, but failing that one could
simply sand it to get smooth results, with rather more work.

A square base plate could be sawn, a round one could be made on a
drill, using it as a lathe, with an angle grinder as the cutting tool.

What tools have you got? Out of router, plane, sanders, lathe, etc? Do
you want round section or square?

NT

Jim March 22nd 05 09:24 AM

Hi and thanks for replying.

I want the bracket to arch across the span. I would also ideally like
the cross section of the arch to be rectangular with rounded edges
(I'm envisaging the cross-section of the arch being about 2" wide by 3"
high).

Currently the only tools I have are a basic workbench, a jigsaw (I
think I could use this to cut the arch shape), electric sander and a
Makita 14.4v drill.

I don't mind buying extra tools since I plan to do more diy in the
future. However, I'm not sure which tools you mentioned would be most
useful for this job. Could you please suggest what would be most useful
for me to buy?

Thanks

Jim March 22nd 05 04:19 PM

wrote:

What tools have you got? Out of router, plane, sanders, lathe, etc?

Do
you want round section or square?

NT

Thanks for the help, NT. At the moment I've got a basic workbench, a
jigsaw (should be able to use that to cut the 'arch' shapes in the wood
and a Makita drill.

I don't mind buying a tool if it will be useful to have- I plan to do
more diy in the future.

As for the arch cross-section, I was thinking of about 2" wide by about
3" high, with rounded corners. What would be the best tool do do that?

I guess another question I have is are there any particular woods to
try to get/avoid?

Thanks for all advice.

Rob Morley March 22nd 05 04:47 PM

In article .com,
"Jim" says...
Hi and thanks for replying.

I want the bracket to arch across the span. I would also ideally like
the cross section of the arch to be rectangular with rounded edges
(I'm envisaging the cross-section of the arch being about 2" wide by 3"
high).

Currently the only tools I have are a basic workbench, a jigsaw (I
think I could use this to cut the arch shape), electric sander and a
Makita 14.4v drill.

I don't mind buying extra tools since I plan to do more diy in the
future. However, I'm not sure which tools you mentioned would be most
useful for this job. Could you please suggest what would be most useful
for me to buy?

A drum sander attachment for the drill might be useful for smoothing
and rounding if you don't fancy getting a router. A set of wood
chisels (and a mallet) is pretty much essential.

Jim March 24th 05 02:01 PM

Rob Morley wrote:
A drum sander attachment for the drill might be useful for smoothing
and rounding if you don't fancy getting a router. A set of wood
chisels (and a mallet) is pretty much essential.

Thanks for the advice - however, I spoilt myself, and a lovely DeWalt
DW621K router has just arrived earlier today... :) (seemed to have a
lot of recommendations).

Thanks to all who have replied. I'm off to do my diy now....