Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tongue n Groove bits

Please pardon my possible ignorance here.

In researching cabinet jointing methods, thinking along the lines of
Joints with no nails or screws, yet still be able to use them if I
needed. I ran across Sommerfelds tongue n grove set, which appears to
me to just be an adjustable bit set, set for a permanent offset.

http://sommerfeldtools.com/professio...groove-set-usa

It looks like if one were to by two sets of these Rockler adjustable's
one could accomplish the same thing for less money, along with long
term support. and you have a choice of 3/8 or 1/4" shanks.

http://www.rockler.com/rockler-tongu...ight-1-2-shank

http://www.rockler.com/rockler-tongu...ight-1-4-shank

Sommerfeld has a third bit included in his set for cleaning up the
tongue when necessary so as not to weaken a pocket screw connection.
It is a common bit most everyone has.

He mentions how it pretty much inherently keeps the cabinets squared,
and it certainly appears to a natural way of doing things and
eliminating the craziness of cutting DADO's when the sizes of plywood
vary so much. I did notice, however, on his base cabinet explanations
that he used a support block for the bottom shelf, at the ends of the
cabinet while using the tongue n groove in the FF.

I would appreciate your educated experiential opinions on this. Is the
offset Tongue n Groove worth it? Is the T&G as strong as a DADO?

And should a combination of the two be done or just stick with DADO's?
(the bottom's of my DADO's always seem to need to be cleaned up so
that there is a smooth glue surface)

Freud doesn't appear to have either of these bits, but they do have a
T&G set with a centered tongue.

Also a side question regarding router usage. In watching Sommerfelds
video's he has a lot of fuzz on his grooves regardless if it is
hardwood or plywood. I have had that problem on occasion with wood
like poplar, otherwise I have seen very little of that other than the
occasional spots on plywood when I make a DADO.

Is fuzz or "hair" to be expected?
Posted to rec.woodworking

OFWW wrote:
[...]

1. It would be a cold day in hell before I paid $150 for T&G bits

2. Avoid bits with a 3/8" shank unless you already have a 3/8" collet.

3. Why would you want two T&G sets?

4. I don't find all that much variation in plywood thickness; from type to
type, yes but no with same speciaes from same source. Regardless, NP if you
make dados/grooves narrower than the plywood and cut shoulders on the
tongues. The shoulders have the added benefit of positive, visual
confirmation of when the tongue is all the way into the dado/groove.

5. I prefer to cut dados/grooves on a table saw with my trusty wobble dado.
That means the bottoms are never flat. NP, I always make dados/grooves a
smidge deeper than the tongue that is going into them, provides a place for
excess glue and also assures that the inserted piece will be at the correct
depth (because of the shoulders). If, for some reason I NEED a flat bottom,
I use a bottom cleaning router bit (bottom cuts, sides don't; bit sides ride
on the sides of the dado/groove) .

6. Whre would you use both a dado and T&G?

7. Fuzz depends partially upon the wood. With any wood, one side of a
groove/dado that is cut in one pass with a router bit will always be a climb
cut and that side will tend to fuzz. That can be avoided by using a bit
that is smaller in diameter than the desired width of the dado/groove and
making two passes, one in each direction. That is easily accomplished with
two fences set to the desired dado/groove width. It can be accomplished
with just one fence if one makes a square router base plate that has its
sides at different distances from center. For example, suppose that one
side is X" from center; if another side is X+1/8" and you want a 1/2"
dado/groove then use a 3/8" bit for the first pass with the "X" side on the
fence then turn the router so the x+1/8 side is on the fence for the return
pass. No climb cut, No (probably) fuzz.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 5 Jan 2016 16:52:57 -0500, "dadiOH"
wrote:

OFWW wrote:
[...]

I do have one, but the others are 1/4"

3. Why would you want two T&G sets?

Was just thinking of the set up time when switching from tongue to
groove. Figured that time saved would also assure that they would
match forever once setup for the purposes.

4. I don't find all that much variation in plywood thickness; from type to
type, yes but no with same speciaes from same source. Regardless, NP if you
make dados/grooves narrower than the plywood and cut shoulders on the
tongues. The shoulders have the added benefit of positive, visual
confirmation of when the tongue is all the way into the dado/groove.

I have seen some differences between old stock and new. When I say old
it means it might have been in the shop for a year or so.

5. I prefer to cut dados/grooves on a table saw with my trusty wobble dado.
That means the bottoms are never flat. NP, I always make dados/grooves a
smidge deeper than the tongue that is going into them, provides a place for
excess glue and also assures that the inserted piece will be at the correct
depth (because of the shoulders). If, for some reason I NEED a flat bottom,
I use a bottom cleaning router bit (bottom cuts, sides don't; bit sides ride
on the sides of the dado/groove) .

I had read that if there were gaps, like with a rugged bottom that the
joint would be weakened since glue is not to be counted on as a
filler. I have always smoother mine with a chisel, like a plane, or a
sandpaper rig. I once had an 8ft long dado and wished I have the
proper plane for it. Leaning over and stretching to clean it out was
not much fun.

6. Whre would you use both a dado and T&G?

Not sure, just was thinking of keeping an open door to it.

7. Fuzz depends partially upon the wood. With any wood, one side of a
groove/dado that is cut in one pass with a router bit will always be a climb
cut and that side will tend to fuzz. That can be avoided by using a bit
that is smaller in diameter than the desired width of the dado/groove and
making two passes, one in each direction. That is easily accomplished with
two fences set to the desired dado/groove width. It can be accomplished
with just one fence if one makes a square router base plate that has its
sides at different distances from center. For example, suppose that one
side is X" from center; if another side is X+1/8" and you want a 1/2"
dado/groove then use a 3/8" bit for the first pass with the "X" side on the
fence then turn the router so the x+1/8 side is on the fence for the return
pass. No climb cut, No (probably) fuzz.

DOH! You're right, I just remembered doing just that for the same
reasons you described on dado's. T&G would not have that same option.
Thanks!

Now as to an offset T&G versus a centered T&G, would you see a reason
for it?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/5/2016 2:29 PM, OFWW wrote:
[...]

Router bits are notorious for not staying keenly sharp for very long.
In many instances after 10~20 feet. Basically 2 teeth doing all of the
work. Then you deal with the results.

I would advise a good dado set. Really good ones stay sharp for a very
long time.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/5/2016 2:29 PM, OFWW wrote:
Please pardon my possible ignorance here.

In researching cabinet jointing methods, thinking along the lines of
Joints with no nails or screws, yet still be able to use them if I
needed. I ran across Sommerfelds tongue n grove set, which appears to
me to just be an adjustable bit set, set for a permanent offset.

http://sommerfeldtools.com/professio...groove-set-usa

Took a look the "Cabinet Plans" under the "Woodworking Made Easy" on
that website, and was not impressed.

Appears to be a case of the tool (router bit) being the tail that wagged
the cabinet making dog.

If a router is the only tool you have maybe, but I make cabinets for a
living and were I forced to make cabinets like that I would go broke in
a day.

There are much better kitchen cabinet fabrication methodologies than
using tongue and groove joinery.

If you're wedded to that style of joining cabinet parts, a biscuit
cutter would serve you much better, or perhaps splines in a groove,
instead of routing a tonge.

I use routers in much of my work, and one of the givens with routed
joinery is an inherent inconsistency in fitting routed parts, amplified
by any inconsistency in the dimensions of most purchased project materials.

IOW, it is my experience that for routed joinery to work well you really
need to plan on milling ALL your project material to precise dimensions,
width and thickness; and even then you will often have inconsistencies
in fit between the first of a run of routed parts, compared the last part.

Anyone who has done routed dovetail in dozens of drawers sides for a
project will appreciate that phenomenon.

Not that it can't be done, but it takes a good deal of time and effort
in milling, tool setup, and a thorough knowledge gained from lots of
experience with routers and their foibles ... simple things, like the
router bit not always being perfectly concentric with the other parts.

Not trying to discourage you on that line of reasoning, but might to ask
questions about alternate ways to get to the same destination.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

OFWW wrote:

Now as to an offset T&G versus a centered T&G, would you see a reason

for it?

Sometimes, eg if you are making cabinet doors and want greater/lesser area
on the rails/stiles edges to show.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 5 Jan 2016 18:24:27 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 1/5/2016 2:29 PM, OFWW wrote:
Please pardon my possible ignorance here.

In researching cabinet jointing methods, thinking along the lines of
Joints with no nails or screws, yet still be able to use them if I
needed. I ran across Sommerfelds tongue n grove set, which appears to
me to just be an adjustable bit set, set for a permanent offset.

http://sommerfeldtools.com/professio...groove-set-usa

Took a look the "Cabinet Plans" under the "Woodworking Made Easy" on
that website, and was not impressed.

Appears to be a case of the tool (router bit) being the tail that wagged
the cabinet making dog.

Bingo! That hit the nail on the head for me. Watching him closely and
seeing the little things, like having to bang parts together at times
and other things made me wonder. Then checking to see the bits for
sale elsewhere and finding none made me wonder. You confirmed it for
me. I can see a use for it, but then the standard setup should be
fine.

If a router is the only tool you have maybe, but I make cabinets for a
living and were I forced to make cabinets like that I would go broke in
a day.

There are much better kitchen cabinet fabrication methodologies than
using tongue and groove joinery.

If you're wedded to that style of joining cabinet parts, a biscuit
cutter would serve you much better, or perhaps splines in a groove,
instead of routing a tonge.

Actually, seeing your advice, using the dado, for your cabinets was
always in the back of my mind, telling me you were doing it for a
reason. The bottoms of my dado's always seemed to me to need clean up,
and I can get a plane that would do that just fine. But I gathered
from Leon, IIRC, that it really isn't that big of a deal. But I'd like
to feel comfortable about the clean up before I commit to it. And
actually when thinking about it, a plane might just take too much off
it I overworked it, and end up throwing off my dimensions and cause
things not to fit right.

Odd, all the video's I watched on people cutting dado's and no one
spoke much, if anything about cleaning up the bottom of a dado.

I use routers in much of my work, and one of the givens with routed
joinery is an inherent inconsistency in fitting routed parts, amplified
by any inconsistency in the dimensions of most purchased project materials.

IOW, it is my experience that for routed joinery to work well you really
need to plan on milling ALL your project material to precise dimensions,
width and thickness; and even then you will often have inconsistencies
in fit between the first of a run of routed parts, compared the last part.

I can understand that.

Anyone who has done routed dovetail in dozens of drawers sides for a
project will appreciate that phenomenon.

Not that it can't be done, but it takes a good deal of time and effort
in milling, tool setup, and a thorough knowledge gained from lots of
experience with routers and their foibles ... simple things, like the
router bit not always being perfectly concentric with the other parts.

So when making drawers, should I stick to making just a few at a time,
or should I use a locking bit, half lap, or? Although I have some of
the tools for making a dovetails, I have virtually no experience in
that. I have made other simple box joints but I would like the drawers
to be strong

Not trying to discourage you on that line of reasoning, but might to ask
questions about alternate ways to get to the same destination.

No problem, I was looking for exactly this type of advice. I was
attracted to the Glue only method he was basically doing, but then it
seemed like you said, like he was developing sales for his bits and
some other tools to me.

I also saw some people using splines for things like table tops which
made a lot of sense to me, using that or dowels or something to keep
the boards in tune with each other instead of tearing apart glue
joints over the years.

So I guess the questions I have now are, using dado's how clean should
the bottom of the dado be, if it is important. Should the dado be cut
1/3 the thickness of the board it is seating into. And if it is wisest
to pin the joints after gluing before one removes the clamps.

Regarding FF's I do have the Kreg pocket kit and have learned how to
use it, but I am not adverse to joining it another way, like dowels or
M&T or biscuits. I don't have the new setup by that expensive tool
company, and I would probably be dead before I would even get a decent
ROI on any of their tools. IYKWIM.

Thanks, and feel free to snip most of this post.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/5/2016 11:26 PM, OFWW wrote:

Actually, seeing your advice, using the dado, for your cabinets was
always in the back of my mind, telling me you were doing it for a
reason. The bottoms of my dado's always seemed to me to need clean up,
and I can get a plane that would do that just fine. But I gathered
from Leon, IIRC, that it really isn't that big of a deal. But I'd like
to feel comfortable about the clean up before I commit to it. And
actually when thinking about it, a plane might just take too much off
it I overworked it, and end up throwing off my dimensions and cause
things not to fit right.

Odd, all the video's I watched on people cutting dado's and no one
spoke much, if anything about cleaning up the bottom of a dado.

As long as the depth of the dado/groove is consistent from one end to
the other, whether the bottom is pretty or not is irrelevant.

With a good dado stack, and a good table saw to mount it on (no worn or
uneven arbor and/or no runout) that is not usually a problem.

What kind of Dado stack do you have? Good place to spend your money When
you consider the cost of a good tool with regard to the overall cost of
the project ... and the time, effort and waste inherent with an inferior
one.

Even with good equipment/tools, probably the biggest problem you'll face
with dadoes in cabinet parts is the above mentioned inconsistent depth,
usually the result of bowed material when insufficient, downward
pressure is exerted as the material passes over the blade.

That is something we alwaysy check after each pass, regardless.

So when making drawers, should I stick to making just a few at a time,
or should I use a locking bit, half lap, or? Although I have some of
the tools for making a dovetails, I have virtually no experience in
that. I have made other simple box joints but I would like the drawers
to be strong

Depends upon your budget. A dovetail drawer will give both strength and
appearance.

If appearance is secondary, then a locking rabbet joint, which can be
done on the table saw or router, makes a nice looking drawer, with
sufficient strength for most any kitchen application.

So I guess the questions I have now are, using dado's how clean should
the bottom of the dado be, if it is important. Should the dado be cut
1/3 the thickness of the board it is seating into. And if it is wisest
to pin the joints after gluing before one removes the clamps.

Again, your overriding concern is a consistent depth of the dado/groove
throughout it length.

If you don't have that because of the tool, then you need a better tool.

Regarding FF's I do have the Kreg pocket kit and have learned how to
use it, but I am not adverse to joining it another way, like dowels or
M&T or biscuits. I don't have the new setup by that expensive tool
company, and I would probably be dead before I would even get a decent
ROI on any of their tools. IYKWIM.

Search around on some of the New Yankee Workshop videos. Norm had a few
shows where he built his FF cabinetry using biscuits. Take a look and
see if something like that might fit your budget and tools.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/5/2016 11:26 PM, OFWW wrote:

Should the dado be cut
1/3 the thickness of the board it is seating into.

That'll work and is a good guide. For cabinetry in kitchens and baths I
generally do 1/4" deep dado/groove in 3/4 stock.

On occasion, mostly for fixed shelving, especially an intermediate shelf
that adds structural rigidity to the casework, I might go to 3/8" deep
dado/groove.

And if it is wisest
to pin the joints after gluing before one removes the clamps

With kitchen and bath cabinets, where there will be sheer force applied
to wall cabinet components; and with unknown future loads on the base
cabinets (including heavy stone countertops); and where you're generally
attaching hardwood to a plywood case; or plywood end panels to plywood
floors; I'm of BOTH glue and carefully applied nailgun persuasion.

It is rare that I don't both glue and finish nail (16ga/1 1/2") kitchen
cabinet components joined with dadoes/grooves ... the face frames to
cabinet box; and the end panels to the floors ... therein lies all that
blue tape you see to help keep the nail hole filler from bleeding over.
Properly done, with the right filler, the nail holes basically disappear
after finishing.

Literally hundreds of stained cabinetry and I have never once had anyone
mention ever seeing a nail hole in a stained face frame.

Take the time to orient the nail head to the grain direction, and use a
filler that will take stain well from experience.

Whether you use both glue, and some other type faster in conjunction
with the glue, depends upon the intended use of the piece.

Furniture, where it's hardwood to hardwood, and there is not going to be
heavy weight/extraordinary sheer force applied, I almost always just use
glue by itself.

Lots of dadoed joinery here in this project, with both plywood and
hardwood as primary material, and no nails on the visible casework and
"face frame":

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...?noredirect=1#

(I also included that link above because you mentioned in a previous
post about making angled cabinets)

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/2016 12:29 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/5/2016 11:26 PM, OFWW wrote:

[...]

If I may offer something to watch for when cutting grooves/dado's.
Especially with longer stock but just as important with any stock
inspect your groves/dado's to insure that you cut full depth the entire
length of the cut. Often the wood can lift and you will not get a full
depth cut. Running the pieces through a time or two again typically
insures a consistent depth though the entire cut.

I cut these type joints/groves/dado's all the time and almost always
encounter shallow passes. So that is how I know this. ;~)

Also just as important is to use stock that is as flat as possible and
the use of feather boards to insure that the stock remains flat against
the fence through out the cut is advised.

If you don't have that because of the tool, then you need a better tool.

Regarding FF's I do have the Kreg pocket kit and have learned how to
use it, but I am not adverse to joining it another way, like dowels or
M&T or biscuits. I don't have the new setup by that expensive tool
company, and I would probably be dead before I would even get a decent
ROI on any of their tools. IYKWIM.

Search around on some of the New Yankee Workshop videos. Norm had a few
shows where he built his FF cabinetry using biscuits. Take a look and
see if something like that might fit your budget and tools.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/2016 1:58 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/6/2016 12:29 PM, Swingman wrote:

As long as the depth of the dado/groove is consistent from one end to
the other, whether the bottom is pretty or not is irrelevant.

Even with good equipment/tools, probably the biggest problem you'll face
with dadoes in cabinet parts is the above mentioned inconsistent depth,
usually the result of bowed material when insufficient, downward
pressure is exerted as the material passes over the blade.

Again, your overriding concern is a consistent depth of the dado/groove
throughout it length.

If I may offer something to watch for when cutting grooves/dado's.
Especially with longer stock but just as important with any stock
inspect your groves/dado's to insure that you cut full depth the entire
length of the cut.

Damn! I knew I should have mentioned that five times, instead of just four!

Asshole! LOL

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/2016 2:59 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/6/2016 1:58 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

I was just skimming and did not notice if you had preciously mentioned
it. I was pretty much restating what you just said but felt a second
voice adding emphasis on the procedure might stick better. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/2016 3:59 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/6/2016 2:59 PM, Swingman wrote:

Asshole! LOL

I was just skimming and did not notice if you had preciously mentioned
it. I was pretty much restating what you just said but felt a second
voice adding emphasis on the procedure might stick better. ;~)

Great minds ...
iceholes, and never question the scorekeeper.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/2016 1:58 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

It did and it does add reinforcement. Thanks!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/2016 7:48 PM, OFWW wrote:

It did and it does add reinforcement. Thanks!

Encourage the cunning scorekeeper at your peril.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 6 Jan 2016 12:29:38 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 1/5/2016 11:26 PM, OFWW wrote:

[...]

I have two, one 7" that came with the TC and an 8" I bought with my
radial arm saw Many, many moons ago. Like, '73 or so. The 8" hasn't
been used but once, the 7" I have used 10 or so times, well maybe
more. It cut pretty clean on a melamine mdf. plywood, and pine n stuff
at the edges, but the bottom was not too hot.

I went out and looked closely, didn't count the teeth but it was a
bunch. Sad thing is I just recognized that neither of these was
carbide tipped. I have 1/16 th in adjustments on them, and I bought
some new spacers because the last project with "3/4" plywood couldn't
be matched with the spacers I had.

I checked Rockler on some tests done in 2010, and the pictures they
showed looked pretty smooth. Any particular brand you would recommend?
or anything to look for in a new set, like 1/32 " adj, more teeth the
merrier, etc.? BTW my chippers only have one tooth each end. But wide
for overlay.

Oh, my saw is a Craftsman Contract Saw. It was new/older when I bought
it and I had to aligned everything on it. It has a great fence, and
webbed cast wings so I can drop my tape's and pencils through the
grates. It runs true, no slop.

Even with good equipment/tools, probably the biggest problem you'll face
with dadoes in cabinet parts is the above mentioned inconsistent depth,
usually the result of bowed material when insufficient, downward
pressure is exerted as the material passes over the blade.

That is something we alwaysy check after each pass, regardless.

I understand, First time I saw that I wished my Radial Arm saw was not
buried in stuff, so I could cut and see the dado's working.

So when making drawers, should I stick to making just a few at a time,
or should I use a locking bit, half lap, or? Although I have some of
the tools for making a dovetails, I have virtually no experience in
that. I have made other simple box joints but I would like the drawers
to be strong

Depends upon your budget. A dovetail drawer will give both strength and
appearance.

If appearance is secondary, then a locking rabbet joint, which can be
done on the table saw or router, makes a nice looking drawer, with
sufficient strength for most any kitchen application.

Both are important to me, I have the dovetail kit so I might as well
practice and learn. If I bite off more than I can chew I will try the
locking rabit.

[...]

I have seen where he mounted the FF to the cabinets with a very long
groove and biscuits where he felt necessary. I don't remember how he
actually joined the ff itself.

Any preferred method as to making the FF first and then the cabinet,
or the cabinet 1st or does it even matter?

I appreciate your time spent on this.

While it is raining cats n dogs, and the surf is supposed to be
rolling in at 18' or better by Friday, I am at least going to get some
wood and do a few practice runs on scraps.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 6 Jan 2016 13:33:09 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 1/5/2016 11:26 PM, OFWW wrote:

Should the dado be cut
1/3 the thickness of the board it is seating into.

That'll work and is a good guide. For cabinetry in kitchens and baths I
generally do 1/4" deep dado/groove in 3/4 stock.

On occasion, mostly for fixed shelving, especially an intermediate shelf
that adds structural rigidity to the casework, I might go to 3/8" deep
dado/groove.

I like that idea, and freedom to do it.

And if it is wisest
to pin the joints after gluing before one removes the clamps

With kitchen and bath cabinets, where there will be sheer force applied
to wall cabinet components; and with unknown future loads on the base
cabinets (including heavy stone countertops); and where you're generally
attaching hardwood to a plywood case; or plywood end panels to plywood
floors; I'm of BOTH glue and carefully applied nailgun persuasion.

Then I will follow suit.

It is rare that I don't both glue and finish nail (16ga/1 1/2") kitchen
cabinet components joined with dadoes/grooves ... the face frames to
cabinet box; and the end panels to the floors ... therein lies all that
blue tape you see to help keep the nail hole filler from bleeding over.
Properly done, with the right filler, the nail holes basically disappear
after finishing.

Just ran out to the garage, everything I have is 18 GA, so I added
that to my list, with blue tape.

[...]

Yes, and thanks for the picts and layout.

Great Job! BTW, your doors are perfectly centered, a mark of a true
craftsman, per everything I have seen and read. Looked great overall
as well. I liked the way you made the face of the cabinet, but I think
I will be using a 3/8" inset door, I think they call it.

Last question for now. Is sanded grade 3/4 7 layer project grade
plywood good enough for painted cabinets or should I use Baltic
plywood for the casings?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/2016 7:58 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/6/2016 7:48 PM, OFWW wrote:

It did and it does add reinforcement. Thanks!

Encourage the cunning scorekeeper at your peril.

Like the Lone Ranger says I am the Lone Ranger,

I am the Score Keeper. LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/16 2:59 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/6/2016 1:58 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

What!? Oh, I heard asshole and it caught my attention. :-D

Anyway, I haven't followed the whole thread but I'll throw my hat in for
the table saw as far as T&G joinery is concerned.

I have a few different high quality T&G router bits that I used before a
got a good table saw and a stacked dado set. The bit did a fine job but
the horse power of my saw and teeth-per-inch of the blades make cutting
T&Gs on the saw like a dump truck vs a wheel barrow compared to the
router.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/2016 8:42 PM, OFWW wrote:

Last question for now. Is sanded grade 3/4 7 layer project grade
plywood good enough for painted cabinets or should I use Baltic
plywood for the casings?

Without seeing the actual stack first it is hard to say definitively,
but I would think that most of the time that it would be more than adequate.

Keep in mind that it most often pays to buy ALL the plywood for the
project at one time, and from the same stack.

While not absolutely guaranteeing that all panels will be the same
thickness, it increases the odds that will be so ... difference in
thickness between plywood panels in the same project can play havoc with
your final measurements and squareness of individual components.

If you can't do that, and you're using dadoe/grooves for your cabinets,
and after you get dado stack setup to your satisfaction, plow that
particular setup groove into a short piece of project stock and take it
with you, as a check, when you're buying more plywood to insure that
your project dado setup and the new plywood will work.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/2016 8:20 PM, OFWW wrote:

Any preferred method as to making the FF first and then the cabinet,
or the cabinet 1st or does it even matter?

Very astute of you to ask that question. The answer, IME, is a
resounding YES, it does matter ... following are some excerpts from some
of my previous posts on the subject:

~ First a bit of philosophy: The holy grail of cabinet making is "SQUARE".

Making a _perfectly square_ cabinet insures that all doors and drawer
fronts will fit and be easy to install, and that the cabinets
themselves, even when hung on a wall that is not plumb, will be easier
to shim to that wall, and that those doors and drawers will always work
because the cabinets will remain square even if the wall moves, which
all walls will do.

The easiest way to achieve "square" in your cabinet making is to _batch
cut_ all the component parts.

IOW, set the table saw fence ONE TIME ONLY, and cut ALL the component
pieces that are going to be 1 1/2" wide at that time BEFORE moving the
table saw fence to another setting; Set the table saw fence to 30", and
cut ALL the component parts for ALL cabinets that are going to be 30"
long, BEFORE you move the table saw fence to another setting.

Repeat as often as necessary to batch cut all your cabinet parts, rails,
stiles, end panels, floors (which includes the top in industry parlance
since they are the same size), and backs.

The same goes for router setups for dadoes and grooves.

Back in the 60's I got a good start on both appreciating, and learning
how, to build cabinets by working with a cabinetmaker in England whose
family had been in business just a few hundred years.

When it came to building kitchen cabinets with traditional face frame
cabinetry I dissected what the cabinet factory industry was doing,
figuring that a mix of my two learning experiences would allow me to
build a superior cabinet, in an efficient manner, and in a one man shop.

This is the method I have adopted in my business and it works quite well
for me. Others may have their own methods, thus the plethora of books.

Indeed, I've read them all, take a little from here and there, and
depart from them in various ways. One way is as you have noted, building
the face frame first ... this is basically what many cabinet factories
do, because, when you analyze the fabrication process, it is both more
efficient, less labor intensive than trying fit a face frame to a
carcase, and also guarantees a square product.

I'll take two birds for that one shot any day.

The idea is to take the time to make the face frames FIRST, with
meticulous attention to making the face frames as perfectly square as
possible (easily achieved with _batch cut parts_ ), AND then assemble
the casework on top of that square face frame, basically insuring a
square cabinet.

Route the necessary dadoes into the backside of the face frame to accept
the ends of the casework.

Route the necessary dadoes/groove into the _end panels_ of the cabinet case.

Assemble the face frames using pocket hole screw joinery.

Once your face frames are completely assembled, with due attention to
them being squa

Lay the face frame, dadoes up, on a flat surface and assemble, and glue
and/or nail the previously dadoed case work plywood component ON TOP OF
THE ALREADY ASSEMBLED, SQUARE FACE FRAME.

Doing it this way, and only this way, absolutely insures that you have
the squarest possible cabinets; cabinets that will not only attach to
each other easily for a cabinet "run", but cabinets in which the doors
and drawers will always work until the house is torn down ... something
that can only be achieved, with any assurance, with properly made, _shop
built_ cabinetry!

Let me know if you have any questions.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, January 5, 2016 at 2:29:05 PM UTC-6, OFWW wrote:
Please pardon my possible ignorance here.

Mine, too! Sometimes I assume some construction "things" are common sense. This whole thread, for me, has detailed info, such that it's like direct hands-on guidance. I don't build too many cabinets, however, the info in this thread is something I needed, also.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 8 Jan 2016 04:46:31 -0800 (PST), Sonny
wrote:

On Tuesday, January 5, 2016 at 2:29:05 PM UTC-6, OFWW wrote:
Please pardon my possible ignorance here.

Mine, too! Sometimes I assume some construction "things" are common sense. This whole thread, for me, has detailed info, such that it's like direct hands-on guidance. I don't build too many cabinets, however, the info in this thread is something I needed, also.

Sonny

I've saved them in my notes. Invaluable information, all of it. Much
of it not spoken of in video's or self help stuff.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/16 12:33 PM, Swingman wrote:

Lots of dadoed joinery here in this project, with both plywood and
hardwood as primary material, and no nails on the visible casework and
"face frame":

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...?noredirect=1#

Nice execution! The use of proper hardware and finish really put the
final 'zing' into this.

My only 'gripe' is the flats at the ends of your upper door arches make
the cabinet look kind of sad and lonely....

-BR

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Tuesday, January 5, 2016 at 2:29:05 PM UTC-6, OFWW wrote:
Please pardon my possible ignorance here.

Mine, too! Sometimes I assume some construction "things" are common sense. This whole thread, for me, has detailed info, such that it's like direct hands-on guidance. I don't build too many cabinets, however, the info in this thread is something I needed, also.

Sonny

I've saved them in my notes. Invaluable information, all of it.

Much
of it not spoken of in video's or self help stuff.

That is because most video's are done by people that have never done the
procedure before, but are self professed experts because they did it
while making the video.

Most of the stuff on video's is common sense. What they don't cover is
what those of us that do this over and over and over have learned from
actual repeated experience.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/9/2016 9:51 AM, Brewster wrote:
My only 'gripe' is the flats at the ends of your upper door arches make
the cabinet look kind of sad and lonely....

Like a woman's eyebrow, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Got a photo of one that you made we can compare with to see how it would
look happy?

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote in
:

On 1/5/2016 2:29 PM, OFWW wrote:

http://sommerfeldtools.com/professio...-tools/router-
bits-and-sets/tongue-groove-set-usa

Took a look the "Cabinet Plans" under the "Woodworking Made Easy" on
that website, and was not impressed.

My (limited) experience with Sommerfeld was not good.
I bought a panel raising set from them, and the panel
raiser had evidently been dropped before being packed,
as one of the wings was bent. Sommerfeld was reluctant
to exchange it, which is not the sign of a company
that's trying provide a quality product. Worse, while
the replacement panel raiser was fine, the cope and
stick bits were nowhere close to being sharp.

Granted, that's only a sample size of one, but it was
bad enough that I have never been tempted to buy from
Sommerfeld again.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 9 Jan 2016 10:40:50 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 1/9/2016 9:51 AM, Brewster wrote:
My only 'gripe' is the flats at the ends of your upper door arches make
the cabinet look kind of sad and lonely....

Like a woman's eyebrow, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Got a photo of one that you made we can compare with to see how it would
look happy?

Just reviewed your photo's again and noted this.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...2 04145629682

Thanks for the Jig tips, I was wondering.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Tuesday, January 5, 2016 at 2:29:05 PM UTC-6, OFWW wrote:
Please pardon my possible ignorance here.

Mine, too! Sometimes I assume some construction "things" are common sense. This whole thread, for me, has detailed info, such that it's like direct hands-on guidance. I don't build too many cabinets, however, the info in this thread is something I needed, also.

Sonny

I've saved them in my notes. Invaluable information, all of it.

Much
of it not spoken of in video's or self help stuff.

That is because most video's are done by people that have never done the
procedure before, but are self professed experts because they did it
while making the video.

I'd have to agree with that, although I have run across a few yokels
who make me shudder watching their sloppiness, and poor excuses. It's
like they have no real pride in their work and just make stuff to
throw quickly into peoples homes.

Most of the stuff on video's is common sense. What they don't cover is
what those of us that do this over and over and over have learned from
actual repeated experience.

Or they are on a sales pitch for tools.

I had a lot of unanswered questions more than answered here, and I
appreciate them all from everyone.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/9/2016 1:29 PM, OFWW wrote:

I had a lot of unanswered questions more than answered here, and I
appreciate them all from everyone.

Participation waxes and wanes, but still lots of well informed folks
here, and to help with those questions is why most of them are here.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/9/2016 1:15 PM, OFWW wrote:

Thanks for the Jig tips, I was wondering.

Every project of any worth generally has problems to solve.

An ability to be able to devise jigs and fixtures to do things
efficiently, safely and repetitively is a valuable skill to learn.

When I get the time, or if asked a questions, or simply in discussion
about doing something with a jig, I'll often take photos and post them he

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...?noredirect=1#

As they say about pictures ... just a peek at one may open up all kind
of possibilities in your mind for solving your own unique problems.

Not to mention that, do it long enough and you will eventually run
across something you did years ago and wonder "how the hell did I do
that??"

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Brewster wrote:
On 1/6/16 12:33 PM, Swingman wrote:

Lots of dadoed joinery here in this project, with both plywood and
hardwood as primary material, and no nails on the visible casework
and "face frame":

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...?noredirect=1#

Nice execution! The use of proper hardware and finish really put the
final 'zing' into this.

My only 'gripe' is the flats at the ends of your upper door arches
make the cabinet look kind of sad and lonely....

Esthetics aside, there is a practical reason for not extending arcges all
theway to the stiles (IME, at least)...it is very easy for those ends to
split off resulting in an unplanned flat.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 9 Jan 2016 14:08:41 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 1/9/2016 1:15 PM, OFWW wrote:

Thanks for the Jig tips, I was wondering.

Every project of any worth generally has problems to solve.

An ability to be able to devise jigs and fixtures to do things
efficiently, safely and repetitively is a valuable skill to learn.

When I get the time, or if asked a questions, or simply in discussion
about doing something with a jig, I'll often take photos and post them he

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...?noredirect=1#

As they say about pictures ... just a peek at one may open up all kind
of possibilities in your mind for solving your own unique problems.

Not to mention that, do it long enough and you will eventually run
across something you did years ago and wonder "how the hell did I do
that??"

Thanks once again, this time as I took a quick look at your link, I
picked up a good use for mdf, as a pattern.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/9/16 9:40 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/9/2016 9:51 AM, Brewster wrote:
My only 'gripe' is the flats at the ends of your upper door arches make
the cabinet look kind of sad and lonely....

Like a woman's eyebrow, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Or beerholder....

Got a photo of one that you made we can compare with to see how it would
look happy?

Nope, they all look kinda sad. It probably comes from much of the A&C's
popularity occurring during the Depression Era.

-BR
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/9/16 1:43 PM, dadiOH wrote:
Brewster wrote:
On 1/6/16 12:33 PM, Swingman wrote:

Lots of dadoed joinery here in this project, with both plywood and
hardwood as primary material, and no nails on the visible casework
and "face frame":

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...?noredirect=1#

Nice execution! The use of proper hardware and finish really put the
final 'zing' into this.

My only 'gripe' is the flats at the ends of your upper door arches
make the cabinet look kind of sad and lonely....

Esthetics aside, there is a practical reason for not extending arcges all
theway to the stiles (IME, at least)...it is very easy for those ends to
split off resulting in an unplanned flat.

True dat.

I've put the flat on many upper arches and doors, just never on two
doors side by side where the arch gets interrupted by the door styles.
That turns an arch into brows!

-BR

Posted to rec.woodworking

Brewster wrote:
On 1/9/16 1:43 PM, dadiOH wrote:
Brewster wrote:
[...]

If you like to see arches or arks there are 26 in this picture, not
counting those on the does pulls.

https://flic.kr/p/rdWFfp

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, January 9, 2016 at 6:47:26 PM UTC-6, Brewster wrote:

My only 'gripe' is the flats at the ends of your upper door arches
make the cabinet look kind of sad and lonely....

Esthetics aside, there is a practical reason for not extending arcges all
theway to the stiles (IME, at least)...it is very easy for those ends to
split off resulting in an unplanned flat.

True dat.

I've put the flat on many upper arches and doors, just never on two
doors side by side where the arch gets interrupted by the door styles.
That turns an arch into brows!

-BR

If I may proffer: Like some moon and Mars photos, and mountian photos, many folks see images, human faces in/among the natural features. I sense that has happened with Karl's cabinet.

Personally, I like that look, it's different. I can see your brow image, since you point it out, same as with human features in those moon, Mars, etc.. images.

I'd like to see a SketchUp image of Karl's cabinet with the bottom's edging, the bottom rail, contoured the same as those upper "eye brows", i.e., matching features. I'll bet the overall view would reveal just as nice of esthetics. As is, those two "lines" (the eye brows and bottom rail) don't match, and that kinna stands out oddly, for me. With that....

I've often tried different looks on many of my improvised designs/pieces, then stand back and see what alterations (improvements??) I can tweak for the next similar piece, to make it better (for my eye). *Does that make sense?

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/10/16 7:04 AM, Leon wrote:

If you like to see arches or arks there are 26 in this picture, not
counting those on the does pulls.

https://flic.kr/p/rdWFfp

I remember that project. Did you use router templates?
-BR
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/10/16 7:05 AM, Sonny wrote:

[...]

Sure does!

An earlier attempt at an A&C end table got me to think it looks kind of
angry with the lower arch:

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/121810

When moving on past square parts and sections, details like arches and
flutes can really set things apart (or just look funky). I'm building
some end tables now. I like the A&C styles and lately I've really begun
to appreciate the enhancements done by Green & Green. Same basic style
but far fewer straight lines. I've made some lamps, the first set follow
basic designs with a few minor mods:

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/212730

The other set went a lot further on the mods:

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/198426

I'm close to what I'd consider 'good', but there are always additional
tweeks needed.

-BR

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/10/2016 9:26 AM, Brewster wrote:
On 1/10/16 7:04 AM, Leon wrote:

If you like to see arches or arks there are 26 in this picture, not
counting those on the does pulls.

https://flic.kr/p/rdWFfp

I remember that project. Did you use router templates?
-BR

MDF router templates to fine tune the cut on the lighting arches. I
simply used my OS Sander on the small drawers and to fine tune the arks
on the doors and center section between the doors.

tongue and groove clean up old oak easttwinlake Home Repair 2 July 27th 09 10:36 PM
Tongue & groove cladding Dave UK diy 4 September 15th 07 07:49 PM
tongue and groove flooring Neil UK diy 0 September 4th 05 08:10 PM
Tongue/groove wood s--p--o--n--i--x UK diy 4 January 31st 05 04:50 PM
Tongue and Groove ceilings [email protected] Home Ownership 2 January 13th 05 03:48 PM