Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Tongue n Groove bits

On 1/5/2016 2:29 PM, OFWW wrote:
Please pardon my possible ignorance here.

In researching cabinet jointing methods, thinking along the lines of
Joints with no nails or screws, yet still be able to use them if I
needed. I ran across Sommerfelds tongue n grove set, which appears to
me to just be an adjustable bit set, set for a permanent offset.

http://sommerfeldtools.com/professio...groove-set-usa

Took a look the "Cabinet Plans" under the "Woodworking Made Easy" on
that website, and was not impressed.

Appears to be a case of the tool (router bit) being the tail that wagged
the cabinet making dog.

If a router is the only tool you have maybe, but I make cabinets for a
living and were I forced to make cabinets like that I would go broke in
a day.

There are much better kitchen cabinet fabrication methodologies than
using tongue and groove joinery.

If you're wedded to that style of joining cabinet parts, a biscuit
cutter would serve you much better, or perhaps splines in a groove,
instead of routing a tonge.

I use routers in much of my work, and one of the givens with routed
joinery is an inherent inconsistency in fitting routed parts, amplified
by any inconsistency in the dimensions of most purchased project materials.

IOW, it is my experience that for routed joinery to work well you really
need to plan on milling ALL your project material to precise dimensions,
width and thickness; and even then you will often have inconsistencies
in fit between the first of a run of routed parts, compared the last part.

Anyone who has done routed dovetail in dozens of drawers sides for a
project will appreciate that phenomenon.

Not that it can't be done, but it takes a good deal of time and effort
in milling, tool setup, and a thorough knowledge gained from lots of
experience with routers and their foibles ... simple things, like the
router bit not always being perfectly concentric with the other parts.

Not trying to discourage you on that line of reasoning, but might to ask
questions about alternate ways to get to the same destination.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net