Posted to rec.woodworking
OFWW[_2_] OFWW[_2_] is offline

Default Tongue n Groove bits

Please pardon my possible ignorance here.

In researching cabinet jointing methods, thinking along the lines of
Joints with no nails or screws, yet still be able to use them if I
needed. I ran across Sommerfelds tongue n grove set, which appears to
me to just be an adjustable bit set, set for a permanent offset.

http://sommerfeldtools.com/professio...groove-set-usa

It looks like if one were to by two sets of these Rockler adjustable's
one could accomplish the same thing for less money, along with long
term support. and you have a choice of 3/8 or 1/4" shanks.

http://www.rockler.com/rockler-tongu...ight-1-2-shank

http://www.rockler.com/rockler-tongu...ight-1-4-shank

Sommerfeld has a third bit included in his set for cleaning up the
tongue when necessary so as not to weaken a pocket screw connection.
It is a common bit most everyone has.

He mentions how it pretty much inherently keeps the cabinets squared,
and it certainly appears to a natural way of doing things and
eliminating the craziness of cutting DADO's when the sizes of plywood
vary so much. I did notice, however, on his base cabinet explanations
that he used a support block for the bottom shelf, at the ends of the
cabinet while using the tongue n groove in the FF.

I would appreciate your educated experiential opinions on this. Is the
offset Tongue n Groove worth it? Is the T&G as strong as a DADO?

And should a combination of the two be done or just stick with DADO's?
(the bottom's of my DADO's always seem to need to be cleaned up so
that there is a smooth glue surface)

Freud doesn't appear to have either of these bits, but they do have a
T&G set with a centered tongue.

Also a side question regarding router usage. In watching Sommerfelds
video's he has a lot of fuzz on his grooves regardless if it is
hardwood or plywood. I have had that problem on occasion with wood
like poplar, otherwise I have seen very little of that other than the
occasional spots on plywood when I make a DADO.

Is fuzz or "hair" to be expected?