Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A Trip Thru Home Depot

Recently, had a couple of hours to kill before a medical appointment.

Had a couple of choices.

Sit in the medical office and try to read stale magazines which was
not going to happen.

Take a trip down to the local Home Depot and see what was new
and/or interesting.

Got a powered cart and drove to one end of the store and started
looking around.

(Yes, these days I can have a powered cart.)

2-1/2 hours later, I was back to the starting point.

I was impressed.

New items I didn't recognize at every turn.

It was quite an eye opener.

Just a guess, but 10-20,000 items in inventory would not surprise me.

During my high school years, worked in a retail hardware store, and
was pretty good at it.

Engineered a lot of solutions on Saturday morning when a prospect
would enter the store in a panic with handfuls of parts and a blank
stare on their face.

There is NO WAY I could provide that type of service in today's
market.

To expect ONE person to be knowledgeable of the total store inventory
is just not practical or more likely even possible, IMHO.

Being able to identify what part of the store a similar item might be
found
is about the best you can expect.

I'd be willing to bet that even an experienced tradesman might have
difficulty recognizing how a part might be used if it is outside
his/her
sphere of expertise.

Back to the medical office with a new respect for some of the retail
tasks that exist today and only a 20 minute wait for my appointment.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/15/2014 3:52 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
[...]

I can not believe you have never been inside of a HD before today.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

I can not believe you have never been inside of a HD before today.

I've been inside HD MANY times; however, always with a specific
purpose in mind and a bill of material in hand.

Never have gone "window shopping" before.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/15/2014 3:52 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I'd be willing to bet that even an experienced tradesman might have
difficulty recognizing how a part might be used if it is outside
his/her sphere of expertise.

And so would a brain surgeon.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/15/2014 4:52 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I was impressed.

New items I didn't recognize at every turn.

It was quite an eye opener.

Just a guess, but 10-20,000 items in inventory would not surprise me.

Surprise, it is 40,000
Our store inventory consists of up to 40,000 different kinds of building
materials, home improvement supplies, appliances and lawn and garden
products for all of your project needs. Selections may vary from store
to store because The Home Depot stores are always stocked with
merchandise that is localized to match your area's specific market
needs. We even offer a low price guarantee to beat anyone's advertised
specials. And if for some reason you can't find it in the stores, we
offer 250,000 other products that we can special order for you.

During my high school years, worked in a retail hardware store, and
was pretty good at it.

Engineered a lot of solutions on Saturday morning when a prospect
would enter the store in a panic with handfuls of parts and a blank
stare on their face.

There is NO WAY I could provide that type of service in today's
market.

Sure you could had you continued. The old solutions still exist but
there are some new ones now.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/15/2014 3:52 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

To expect ONE person to be knowledgeable of the total store inventory
is just not practical or more likely even possible, IMHO.

Ayeup ... that's where my smartphone, and Home Depot's phone app fills
the bill.

Tells me much more than most aisle clerks could, from price of an
unmarked item, to SKU, if it is in stock, by location and aisle/bin#,
and if not in stock, the closest HD where it is. I often don't bother to
get out of the truck until I know exactly where what I came for is located.

I'd say it is about 98% effective with the right information when called
upon.

There are a few handy things about the 2nd decade of the 21st century.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

Surprise, it is 40,000
Our store inventory consists of up to 40,000 different kinds of
building materials, home improvement supplies, appliances and lawn
and garden products for all of your project needs.

snip
All that and still couldn't find #10 AWG, molded cord sets of 15 ft
min length.

How am I supposed to rewire a table saw?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

Surprise, it is 40,000
Our store inventory consists of up to 40,000 different kinds of
building materials, home improvement supplies, appliances and lawn
and garden products for all of your project needs.

snip
All that and still couldn't find #10 AWG, molded cord sets of 15 ft
min length.

Not surprising.

How am I supposed to rewire a table saw?

Make it yourself. SJ plus the appropriate connector and five minutes
work.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

Surprise, it is 40,000
Our store inventory consists of up to 40,000 different kinds of
building materials, home improvement supplies, appliances and lawn
and garden products for all of your project needs.

snip
All that and still couldn't find #10 AWG, molded cord sets of 15 ft
min length.

How am I supposed to rewire a table saw?

Lew

Not likely to find molded in that length. For an oven or dryer in shorter
lengths, yes. For both my cabinet saws and band saw I had to make up my
own. Because all of my stationary equipment is on mobile bases I actually
made a 30' extension cord and put 4-5 footers on the machines. The TS, BS,
and planer use that 10-3 extension cord.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
eb.com
Recently, had a couple of hours to kill before a medical appointment.

Had a couple of choices.

Sit in the medical office and try to read stale magazines which was
not going to happen.

Take a trip down to the local Home Depot and see what was new
and/or interesting.

Got a powered cart and drove to one end of the store and started
looking around.

(Yes, these days I can have a powered cart.)

2-1/2 hours later, I was back to the starting point.

Count your blessings. I use a cart too and by the time I find what I
want - usually less than 1/2 hour - the battery is so low that I'm lucky
to make it to the door

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, July 15, 2014 6:29:10 PM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:

Ayeup ... that's where my smartphone, and Home Depot's phone app fills

the bill.

Tells me much more than most aisle clerks could, from price of an

unmarked item, to SKU, if it is in stock, by location and aisle/bin#,

and if not in stock, the closest HD where it is. I often don't bother to

get out of the truck until I know exactly where what I came for is located.

I'd say it is about 98% effective with the right information when called

upon.

There are a few handy things about the 2nd decade of the 21st century.

I had no idea that thing actually worked. I guess I'll have to try it out. I have been finding what I need online with them, checking inventory, then calling the store as my pattern of buying from them.

I hate to go for supplies or materials. I can't stand it, and it doesn't matter what it is for or whom I am buying from. It always seems to take too long and is an inconvenient, and worse, sometimes just downright annoying. I will have to look into that app. I didn't know it existed, and surprised to hear it works so well!

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

Surprise, it is 40,000
Our store inventory consists of up to 40,000 different kinds of
building materials, home improvement supplies, appliances and lawn
and garden products for all of your project needs.

snip
All that and still couldn't find #10 AWG, molded cord sets of 15 ft
min length.

Well, I've been a contractor for more than a few weeks now, and I have more
than a few old extension cords in various states hanging on hooks in the
shop. Some of them are 10 gage for heavy tools in the field. They make
dandy repair cords for stuff. In fact I never throw away a tool without
salvaging brushes, switches, and of course the power cord.

Not surprising.

How am I supposed to rewire a table saw?

Make it yourself. SJ plus the appropriate connector and five minutes
work.

Posted to rec.woodworking

To expect ONE person to be knowledgeable of the total store inventory
is just not practical or more likely even possible, IMHO.

Being able to identify what part of the store a similar item might be
found is about the best you can expect.

Lew

ONE person does not know the entire store and the inventory of every department in the store. That is why there are different people in every department and they stay only in that department and help only people in that department. When you go to any of the big hardware stores they have personnel in each department and they have knowledge of that area and trade. People who know plumbing in the plumbing department, people who know electrical in the electrical department, people who know paint in the paint department, people who know kitchen cabinets in the kitchen cabinet area, etc.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote

Not likely to find molded in that length. For an oven or dryer in shorter
lengths, yes. For both my cabinet saws and band saw I had to make up my
own. Because all of my stationary equipment is on mobile bases I actually
made a 30' extension cord and put 4-5 footers on the machines. The TS,
BS,
and planer use that 10-3 extension cord.

+1
I use the same strategy. I have a couple different lengths of heavy 220
drop cords, so I can use more than one machine out from its normal place at
one time.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:
Not likely to find molded in that length. For an oven or dryer in
shorter
lengths, yes.

Negatory good buddy, molded cord sets are made in 15, 25, 50,
75 and 100 ft lengths and wire sizes #10 AWG, #12 AWG,
#14 AWG and #16 AWG.

#18 AWG is beyond the scope since it is really "zip" cord.

The terminations are another matter.

If money is no object, you buy SJO cord by the foot and add the
required termination.

Expensive, but it gets the job done.

OTOH, buying a molded cord set of the required wire gauge and
length, then cutting off the female termination and wiring it directly
into the motor, will save you a bunch of money.

If the male plug on the cord set can be used, so much the better.

If not, you only have one end to replace.

If I were to set up a shop today, as many tools as possible would
be 240V/1PH/60 HZ and 10-4 locking device plug and receptacles
would be used. (L1-N-L2-G).

Having 120VAC available on the tool can prove to be quite useful.

As far as your shop is concerned, having your T/S or other tool
wired with a 15-25 ft cord would provide even greater flexibility
than you now have.

Lew

#14 AWG and #16 AWG.

#18 AWG is beyond the scope since it is really "zip" cord.

[...]

I'd be more likely to have male twist-lock connectors or short cords
with twist-lock connectors. That way storing the cords and storing
tthe machines without cords is simpler and neater than storing
machines with long attached cords.

#14 AWG and #16 AWG.

But not for a specific hook up, male on one end and nothing on the other,
as you implied by your specific need.

#18 AWG is beyond the scope since it is really "zip" cord.

The terminations are another matter.

Hense my suggestion.

If money is no object, you buy SJO cord by the foot and add the
required termination.

And if that fits the requirement or is all that is available.

Expensive, but it gets the job done.

OTOH, buying a molded cord set of the required wire gauge and
length, then cutting off the female termination and wiring it directly
into the motor, will save you a bunch of money.

If the male plug on the cord set can be used, so much the better.

If not, you only have one end to replace.

If I were to set up a shop today, as many tools as possible would
be 240V/1PH/60 HZ and 10-4 locking device plug and receptacles
would be used. (L1-N-L2-G).

Having 120VAC available on the tool can prove to be quite useful.

As far as your shop is concerned, having your T/S or other tool
wired with a 15-25 ft cord would provide even greater flexibility
than you now have.

Perhaps but I would have to deal with 90' of total 10-3 cord. Now I only
have one 30' piece and at a greater cost savings. That has been working
well for 15 years with no wish for nothing better.

Lew