Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A Trip Thru Home Depot

Lew Hodgett wrote:

All that and still couldn't find #10 AWG, molded cord sets of 15 ft
min length.

How am I supposed to rewire a table saw?

"Leon" wrote:
Not likely to find molded in that length. For an oven or dryer in
shorter
lengths, yes.

Negatory good buddy, molded cord sets are made in 15, 25, 50,
75 and 100 ft lengths and wire sizes #10 AWG, #12 AWG,
#14 AWG and #16 AWG.

#18 AWG is beyond the scope since it is really "zip" cord.

The terminations are another matter.

If money is no object, you buy SJO cord by the foot and add the
required termination.

Expensive, but it gets the job done.

OTOH, buying a molded cord set of the required wire gauge and
length, then cutting off the female termination and wiring it directly
into the motor, will save you a bunch of money.

If the male plug on the cord set can be used, so much the better.

If not, you only have one end to replace.

If I were to set up a shop today, as many tools as possible would
be 240V/1PH/60 HZ and 10-4 locking device plug and receptacles
would be used. (L1-N-L2-G).

Having 120VAC available on the tool can prove to be quite useful.

As far as your shop is concerned, having your T/S or other tool
wired with a 15-25 ft cord would provide even greater flexibility
than you now have.

Lew