Posted to rec.woodworking

Default ooo...ooo...ooo...a new toy in Sketchup

I've been drawing a couple of vanities I'll be making as soon as I finish
some tile work.

When I draw stuff I draw it in much the same manner as I'll build it. Start
with fixed stuff - walls, floor,drains etc. - draw the plinths, cabinet
bottoms & partitions, top support, face frame, doors and any cabinet built
ins, etc.

I often want to view bits and pieces so I put like things on a layer. Works
fine for me except when I get most all drawn and want to drill down to, say,
the plinths...lots of layers to turn on/off. I guess groups could work but
I've never much messed with them.

Enter "Scenes". I'm sure they are old hat to many of you but they are new
to me and they are a godsend. Now I can have a scene with all doors closed,
another with all (or some) open; I can have one with just the guts. It is
WONDERFUL and all is right with the world

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/29/2014 1:01 PM, dadiOH wrote:

I often want to view bits and pieces so I put like things on a layer. Works
fine for me except when I get most all drawn and want to drill down to, say,
the plinths...lots of layers to turn on/off. I guess groups could work but
I've never much messed with them.

Enter "Scenes". I'm sure they are old hat to many of you but they are new
to me and they are a godsend. Now I can have a scene with all doors closed,
another with all (or some) open; I can have one with just the guts. It is
WONDERFUL and all is right with the world

Yep ... Layers, assigned to Scenes, are key to making "Presentations" in
Sketchup, even if it's just for your benefit.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Scenes are pretty cool. I often will have a cabinet door opened to
different positions and each position on a different scene.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/1/2014 6:00 PM, Edward A. Falk wrote:
In article , dadiOH wrote:

Enter "Scenes". I'm sure they are old hat to many of you but they are new
to me and they are a godsend. Now I can have a scene with all doors closed,
another with all (or some) open; I can have one with just the guts. It is
WONDERFUL and all is right with the world

Oh, yeah, scenes + layers are a great combination. If I'm
modelling a room, I'll have several scenes that represent specific
camera views (view from door, view from corner, etc.). Then I'll
have a "view from above" scene that also hides the layer that holds
the ceiling. Then I'll have an "empty room" scene that hides all the
layers that contain furniture and trim. Then a "full room" scene
that turns all the layers on.

Sometimes I'll do something like "furniture option 1" and
"furniture option 2" which hide and show different furniture
layers.

A few simple examples:

http://www.efalk.org/Vardo/bigs/vardo002.jpg.html
http://www.efalk.org/Vardo/bigs/vardo005.jpg.html
http://www.efalk.org/Vardo/bigs/vardo006.jpg.html
http://www.efalk.org/Vardo/bigs/vardo007.jpg.html

Another trick is to make walls opaque on one side, and transparent on
the other, so you can look into the room from any viewpoint.

http://www.efalk.org/Bath/bigs/bathroom5a.png.html

Excellently executed model!

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Edward A. Falk wrote:
In article , dadiOH wrote:

[...]

But bewa this messes up renderers.

Cool! I discovered making surfaces transparent on one dude and opaque on
the other when designing our new entertainment nook in our home. I have a
model of our whole house and seeing through some of the walls in certain
instances is very helpful.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/2/2014 7:15 AM, Leon wrote:
Edward A. Falk wrote:

Another trick is to make walls opaque on one side, and transparent on
the other, so you can look into the room from any viewpoint.

http://www.efalk.org/Bath/bigs/bathroom5a.png.html

Cool! I discovered making surfaces transparent on one dude and opaque on
the other when designing our new entertainment nook in our home. I have a
model of our whole house and seeing through some of the walls in certain
instances is very helpful.

I just use one for the entire wall, the "Translucent_Glass_Gray" in the
"Translucent" Materials category:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...3?noredirect=1

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edward A. Falk" wrote in message

Another trick is to make walls opaque on one side, and transparent on
the other, so you can look into the room from any viewpoint.

Agreed. Here's another someone may find useful...

I often make fairly detailed notes/instructions about a project. Sketchup's
built in text things are useful but aren't really up to what I need for the
aforementioned. My solution is to use a document program to write what I
want, format it as desired - complete with underlining, colors, etc - and
make a screen shot of it, saving the SS as a jpeg. I then import that jpeg
into SketchUp and use it as a "material" on a prepared surface, adjusting
the fit either by scaling the surface or editing the length/width of the new
material. Stick the surface into an "Instruction" layer and all is well

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/2/2014 8:03 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 7/2/2014 7:15 AM, Leon wrote:
Edward A. Falk wrote:

Another trick is to make walls opaque on one side, and transparent on
the other, so you can look into the room from any viewpoint.

http://www.efalk.org/Bath/bigs/bathroom5a.png.html

Cool! I discovered making surfaces transparent on one dude and
opaque on
the other when designing our new entertainment nook in our home. I have a
model of our whole house and seeing through some of the walls in certain
instances is very helpful.

I just use one for the entire wall, the "Translucent_Glass_Gray" in the
"Translucent" Materials category:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...3?noredirect=1

FWIW you can make "ANY" material transparent and to any degree of
transparancy. You don't have to hunt down the transparent samples and
use just those.

BYPAKT Whut?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/2/2014 12:54 PM, Leon wrote:

FWIW you can make "ANY" material transparent and to any degree of
transparancy. You don't have to hunt down the transparent samples and
use just those.

BYPAKT Whut?

Yep, but I don't have to hunt down anything. I have a materials folder
with materials I routinely use that shows up when I grab the paint
brush. One click, I get the effect I want without having to adjust
anything.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/2/2014 1:20 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 7/2/2014 12:54 PM, Leon wrote:

FWIW you can make "ANY" material transparent and to any degree of
transparancy. You don't have to hunt down the transparent samples and
use just those.

BYPAKT Whut?

Yep, but I don't have to hunt down anything. I have a materials folder
with materials I routinely use that shows up when I grab the paint
brush. One click, I get the effect I want without having to adjust
anything.

BTW Sharp finally decided to replace the TV.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/1/2014 7:00 PM, Edward A. Falk wrote:
In article , dadiOH wrote:

[...]

Well done.

How does this collapse? I ask because I have a similar trailer, called a
HiLo. This has tracks and 4 wires that wind on a spool. I can not see
how you would do this with your model, but I love the concept.

http://www.efalk.org/Vardo/bigs/vardo005.jpg.html
http://www.efalk.org/Vardo/bigs/vardo006.jpg.html
http://www.efalk.org/Vardo/bigs/vardo007.jpg.html

Another trick is to make walls opaque on one side, and transparent on
the other, so you can look into the room from any viewpoint.

http://www.efalk.org/Bath/bigs/bathroom5a.png.html

But bewa this messes up renderers.

--
pentapus

SketchUp Where? Victor H. Woodworking 4 November 23rd 13 01:06 AM
Sketchup - again dadiOH[_3_] Woodworking 6 June 26th 13 02:49 PM
Sketchup to the Max Pat Barber[_2_] Woodworking 2 May 11th 12 12:38 AM
sketchup help SonomaProducts.com Woodworking 9 May 13th 10 07:36 AM
Second SketchUp Bill Woodworking Plans and Photos 3 October 9th 09 12:08 AM