Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_5_] Leon[_5_] is offline

Default ooo...ooo...ooo...a new toy in Sketchup

Edward A. Falk wrote:
In article , dadiOH wrote:

Enter "Scenes". I'm sure they are old hat to many of you but they are new
to me and they are a godsend. Now I can have a scene with all doors closed,
another with all (or some) open; I can have one with just the guts. It is
WONDERFUL and all is right with the world

Oh, yeah, scenes + layers are a great combination. If I'm
modelling a room, I'll have several scenes that represent specific
camera views (view from door, view from corner, etc.). Then I'll
have a "view from above" scene that also hides the layer that holds
the ceiling. Then I'll have an "empty room" scene that hides all the
layers that contain furniture and trim. Then a "full room" scene
that turns all the layers on.

Sometimes I'll do something like "furniture option 1" and
"furniture option 2" which hide and show different furniture
layers.

A few simple examples:

http://www.efalk.org/Vardo/bigs/vardo002.jpg.html
http://www.efalk.org/Vardo/bigs/vardo005.jpg.html
http://www.efalk.org/Vardo/bigs/vardo006.jpg.html
http://www.efalk.org/Vardo/bigs/vardo007.jpg.html

Another trick is to make walls opaque on one side, and transparent on
the other, so you can look into the room from any viewpoint.

http://www.efalk.org/Bath/bigs/bathroom5a.png.html

But bewa this messes up renderers.

Cool! I discovered making surfaces transparent on one dude and opaque on
the other when designing our new entertainment nook in our home. I have a
model of our whole house and seeing through some of the walls in certain
instances is very helpful.