Posted to rec.woodworking

Default sketchup help needed

2 things.

Leon, you gave me info on how to get the parts printed once b4, I lost
them , how do I explode the parts in 2d mode so I can work on them.

I have a problem with my model here.
I have drilled a hole through the side, in Xray mode it looks correct,
but in 3d solid it does not. I did it the same way I did the top drill
through, so what is going on here.

See image: http://imgur.com/cEVTMC5

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2014 11:06 AM, woodchucker wrote:
2 things.

Leon, you gave me info on how to get the parts printed once b4, I lost them , how do I explode the parts in 2d mode so I can work on them.

I have a problem with my model here.
I have drilled a hole through the side, in Xray mode it looks correct, but in 3d solid it does not. I did it the same way I did the top drill through, so what is going on here.

See image: http://imgur.com/cEVTMC5

It would be easier to provide a definite answer if we had the model
instead of pictures.

Are the side pieces components? If so then the 'hole' may not be part
of the component. Instead it may be a cylinder which intersects the side
piece but is not part of the side piece component.

Dan

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2014 2:10 PM, Dan Coby wrote:
On 2/13/2014 11:06 AM, woodchucker wrote:
2 things.

Leon, you gave me info on how to get the parts printed once b4, I lost
them ,

Can you be more specific? Are you talking about printing to scale?

how do I explode the parts in 2d mode so I can work on them.

If the "parts" are components and you want to explode them to make them
noncomponents, simply select, right click and select explode. Once
exploded you will have to make the pieces in to a component again if you
want them to be component.

You can edit a component by left triple clicking the component. Or
select the component and right click and choose edit component.

I have a problem with my model here.
I have drilled a hole through the side, in Xray mode it looks correct,
but in 3d solid it does not. I did it the same way I did the top drill
through, so what is going on here.

See image: http://imgur.com/cEVTMC5

I assume you attempted to drill the holes through the outer and inner
pieces. You will have to edit both separately.

It would be easier to provide a definite answer if we had the model
instead of pictures.

Are the side pieces components? If so then the 'hole' may not be part
of the component. Instead it may be a cylinder which intersects the side
piece but is not part of the side piece component.

Dan

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2014 1:06 PM, woodchucker wrote:
I have a problem with my model here.
I have drilled a hole through the side, in Xray mode it looks correct,
but in 3d solid it does not. I did it the same way I did the top drill
through, so what is going on here.

It looks like you didn't use the push/pull tool far enough to break the
outside faces of the block with the circle you used to push through to
get the hole?

In order to get a circular hole through both sides of solid, you need to
make sure you go all the way to the outside face of both sides ... just
like you do with a drill.

If that is not the problem, can you make the model available for download?

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2014 6:45 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/13/2014 1:06 PM, woodchucker wrote:
I have a problem with my model here.
I have drilled a hole through the side, in Xray mode it looks correct,
but in 3d solid it does not. I did it the same way I did the top drill
through, so what is going on here.

It looks like you didn't use the push/pull tool far enough to break the
outside faces of the block with the circle you used to push through to
get the hole?

In order to get a circular hole through both sides of solid, you need to
make sure you go all the way to the outside face of both sides ... just
like you do with a drill.

If that is not the problem, can you make the model available for download?

Sure, I suck at sketchup. I sized those holes the wrong size.
I don't see a way to resize the hole, nor do I see a way to move a
drilled hole.

Man this has taken me all day practically when not shovelling or raking
the roof..

This is based off Ron Walters adjuster. I used my dial indicator to move
the fence the other day and it was dead on. I just want to build this
thing to make life easier instead of setting up a machinists' magnet and
arms.. takes too long.. I see this as a valuable tool. I was able to
dial it in , in seconds.

Ron's article is : http://woodgears.ca/reader/walters/fence_micro.html

My sketchup model is at:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw2...it?usp=sharing

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 19:29:27 -0500, woodchucker
wrote:

[...]

I don't know a way to make a portable hole, either.

Man this has taken me all day practically when not shovelling or raking
the roof..

At least I didn't have to worry about that.

This is based off Ron Walters adjuster. I used my dial indicator to move
the fence the other day and it was dead on. I just want to build this
thing to make life easier instead of setting up a machinists' magnet and
arms.. takes too long.. I see this as a valuable tool. I was able to
dial it in , in seconds.

Ron's article is : http://woodgears.ca/reader/walters/fence_micro.html

I find that if I don't completely unlock the fence to move it small
amounts, it works better. IOW, leave some friction on the lock to
keep the rear from moving. Also, adjust from the front, rather than
behind the lock to keep from "torquing" the fence. This looks useful,
though. Kinda "poor man's" Incra Fence.

My sketchup model is at:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw2...it?usp=sharing

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2014 6:29 PM, woodchucker wrote:

My sketchup model is at:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw2...it?usp=sharing

Got it. Just a cursory review, looks like your were trying to push that
circle through two different/components that were made into a larger
component.

That wont work with the push pull tool unless both sub-components are in
edit mode at the same time, which can't normally be done without using a
Ruby script.

Let me have a shot at FIFY in the morning. What size hole?

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2014 8:54 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/13/2014 6:29 PM, woodchucker wrote:

My sketchup model is at:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw2...it?usp=sharing

Got it. Just a cursory review, looks like your were trying to push that
circle through two different/components that were made into a larger
component.

That wont work with the push pull tool unless both sub-components are in
edit mode at the same time, which can't normally be done without using a
Ruby script.

Let me have a shot at FIFY in the morning. What size hole?

So quick questions, is there a way to move a drilled hole?
What about resizing a hole?
If instead of making the two components part of the bigger, what if I
just group them. would that be more amenable to drilling a hole all the
way through?

Am what I doing with 2 components that unusual that you can't easily do it?

Also I have a new copy of sketchup with a few hours of pro avail. most
has already been eaten up. Anything I should look at in pro now, to make
me understand what the difference is?

Thanks..

I could have built this in 3 hours rather than trying to learn sketchup.
This was my best effort so far. but far from being comfortable. Most
efforts have resulted in less than complete results.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2014 4:29 PM, woodchucker wrote:
[...]

Your side pieces seem to consist of a component called Full Side.
This component consists of a a group that contains four objects.
These are the two cylinders that are supposed to be the holes plus
components named bottom1 and Clamping Side1.

The holes need to be in the components bottom1 and Clamping Side1.
Instead they are outside of the components.

You can either:

A: Delete the cylinders that form the current holes. Then open for
editing the components and create new holes.

or

B: There is a feature called 'Edit/Paste in Place' that is often useful
for moving things from outside of a component into a component. First you
select the object to be moved (in this case the cylinders that are the
holes). You then use either Edit/Copy or ctrl-c to make a copy of the
object. Then you open the object that you want to edit (Clamping Side1)
and then you use 'Edit/Paste in Place'. This will place the copied object
inside of the component.

However in your case things get confusing. You have two separate components
(bottom1 and Clamp Side1) and you have to edit each one separately. Also
you have to adjust the length of the holes for each component and reverse
the faces and delete the surfaces which are the ends of the cylinders.

I would probably go with plan A in this case.

Dan

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2014 8:31 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Am what I doing with 2 components that unusual that you can't easily do it?

Not feeling well, have the damned flu ... but I got something to eat and
went back and looked at it.

You had quite a few problems, mostly extra parts and artifacts from
apparently editing outside the components, then making those artifacts
part of the component.

After I cleaned those bits and pieces I used just the edge of you
circles to cut, then paste-in-place in edit mode. Only took a few minutes.

Also I have a new copy of sketchup with a few hours of pro avail. most
has already been eaten up. Anything I should look at in pro now, to make
me understand what the difference is?

Thanks..

I could have built this in 3 hours rather than trying to learn sketchup.
This was my best effort so far. but far from being comfortable. Most
efforts have resulted in less than complete results.

You did good.

I posted the fixed version to abpw. Do you get that? Let me know if you
still have problems with it. Although I don't how much longer I can hang
on tonight.

If not, backchannel me at the email address below.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2014 9:13 PM, Swingman wrote:

I posted the fixed version to abpw. Do you get that? Let me know if you
still have problems with it. Although I don't how much longer I can hang
on tonight.

If not, backchannel me at the email address below.

Took three tries, something was corrupting the file in TB? Anyway, #3
attempt on apbw downloads and opens for me.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2014 8:31 PM, woodchucker wrote:

So quick questions, is there a way to move a drilled hole?

Yes. Open the component/group with the hole in edit mode|double click on
the inside face of the hole|when only the hole is highlighted all the
way from one side to the other, including the edges| use the Move tool
and move it where you want.

What about resizing a hole?

Not that I am aware, without using a Ruby Script.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2014 10:30 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/13/2014 8:31 PM, woodchucker wrote:

So quick questions, is there a way to move a drilled hole?

Yes. Open the component/group with the hole in edit mode|double click on
the inside face of the hole|when only the hole is highlighted all the
way from one side to the other, including the edges| use the Move tool
and move it where you want.

What about resizing a hole?

Not that I am aware, without using a Ruby Script.

Thanks, I got it. Feel better.
When you are feeling better, would like to know how you drilled through
both components.

Thanks again.
--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2014 10:03 PM, Dan Coby wrote:
[...]

A: Delete the cylinders that form the current holes. Then open for
[...]

I think I understand that. Will play with it, and see if I can come up
with what Swingman came up with , using your steps.
Obviously this excersize is about learning, I could easily have just
built the thing quickly enough.

Thanks Dan.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2014 10:12 PM, woodchucker wrote:

When you are feeling better, would like to know how you drilled through
both components.

Makes it easier if you "hide" everything but the component you want to
work on. There is a plugin that makes this easier:

http://extensions.sketchup.com/en/co...lect-n-isolate

Then I simply drew a circle of the desired radius on the surface of your
component; hit Edit/Cut; then opened the component in Edit mode, hit
Edit/Paste-in-place; and while the component was still in Edit mode,
used the push/pull tool to complete the hole.

Besides the above method of drawing a circle with the desired radius on
the surface of a component/group in edit mode ... and using the
push/pull tool to make the hole ... you can also make a cylindrical
component of the desired radius and size, push it through the component
you want to make the hole in, then use "intersect faces", then remove
the cylindrical component from the component you want the hole in,
leaving just the hole.

This method is particularly handy when you need to "drill" angled holes
in a model, and/or in a model with a curved surface that you could not
normally draw or paste a circle onto.

A few years back I make a quick tutorial .skp file for one of the wRec
posters on how to do this.

Just re-posted it again to apbw.

Either manually click through the Scenes in the tutorial, or use
Animation|Play.

Let me know if it doesn't work for you

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/14/2014 8:40 AM, Swingman wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I'm investing time in this. I'm liking the ability to
troubleshoot the sizes ahead of time. When I started I was guessing at
sizes. When I went and measured, it was pretty quick to adjust, except
re-centering the holes, or re-centering the pillow blocks... they didn't
recenter.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodchucker" wrote in message

Sure, I suck at sketchup. I sized those holes the wrong
size. I don't see a way to resize the hole, nor do I see a way
to move a drilled hole.

You can resize it with the scale tool or the offset one.

With scale you have to select all surfaces else you will wind up with a
cone.

Offset just offsets the edge, not the entire hole...offset to the diameter
you want, erase the old hole, push/pull the new one.

Probably simplest to just erase the old hole, draw a new one.

NP in moving as long as you select all surfaces or if the hole is a
component. Again, easier if you push/pull back to a circle, do the move
then push/pull to a hole again.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

how do I explode the parts in 2d mode so I can work on them.

If the "parts" are components and you want to explode them to make them
noncomponents, simply select, right click and select explode. Once
exploded you will have to make the pieces in to a component again if you
want them to be component.

You can edit a component by left triple clicking the component. Or
select the component and right click and choose edit component.

I thought there was an easier way to have all the parts printed out so
you had an easier way to print all the parts.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/14/2014 1:45 PM, woodchucker wrote:

how do I explode the parts in 2d mode so I can work on them.

If the "parts" are components and you want to explode them to make them
noncomponents, simply select, right click and select explode. Once
exploded you will have to make the pieces in to a component again if you
want them to be component.

You can edit a component by left triple clicking the component. Or
select the component and right click and choose edit component.

I thought there was an easier way to have all the parts printed out so
you had an easier way to print all the parts.

One more thought, if there is no easy way to explode the whole model for
parts.
Is there a way in the model to duplicate all the parts in another layer
or sub model or whatever so I just duplicate the parts in this model for
printing them? and can control which layer I am showing?

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodchucker" wrote in message

On 2/14/2014 1:45 PM, woodchucker wrote:

how do I explode the parts in 2d mode so I can
work on them. If the "parts" are components and you want to
explode them to make them noncomponents, simply
select, right click and select explode. Once
exploded you will have to make the pieces in to a
component again if you want them to be component. You can edit a
component by left triple clicking the
component. Or select the component and right click
and choose edit component.

I thought there was an easier way to have all the parts
printed out so you had an easier way to print all the
parts.

One more thought, if there is no easy way to explode the
whole model for parts.
Is there a way in the model to duplicate all the parts
in another layer or sub model or whatever so I just
duplicate the parts in this model for printing them? and
can control which layer I am showing?

If all the parts are components you can just open the component window and
stick them into your drawing as individual units. You can then select them
and put them on a different layer or you could first hide everything, make
your layer and then stick them into that layer via the component window. If
they aren't components you are SOL, they are all stuck together.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/14/2014 9:49 AM, woodchucker wrote:
[...]

One thing to remember, most everything has a solution with Sketchup. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/14/2014 1:03 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 2/14/2014 1:45 PM, woodchucker wrote:

how do I explode the parts in 2d mode so I can work on them.

If the "parts" are components and you want to explode them to make them
noncomponents, simply select, right click and select explode. Once
exploded you will have to make the pieces in to a component again if you
want them to be component.

You can edit a component by left triple clicking the component. Or
select the component and right click and choose edit component.

I thought there was an easier way to have all the parts printed out so
you had an easier way to print all the parts.

I'm still not quite understanding exactly what you are trying to
accomplish here. Printing all of the parts is not hard at all.
Printing all of the parts large enough to see is another issue.

And Printing to scale 2D is done in a specific way.

Resizing the Sketchup window also helps when printing and you want
something specific to fill the page. Have that object also fill the
reshaped window.

One more thought, if there is no easy way to explode the whole model for
parts.
Is there a way in the model to duplicate all the parts in another layer
or sub model or whatever so I just duplicate the parts in this model for
printing them? and can control which layer I am showing?

When I want to print a specific detail or portion of the drawing I often
simply select that section, copy/CTRL C, open a new blank Sketchup
drawing and past. Then all of the other parts do not come into play
when printing.

This for me is simpler and faster than assigning to other layers.
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

One other thing here, you keep mentioning "explode". Sketchup defines
"explode" as a function that makes a component a non component or a
group a non group. It does not move parts/lines away from each other if
that is what you are referring to.

If you are wanting to automatically move the assembled parts/components
away from each other so that they are seperated, there is a plug in that
will do that. I find the plug in finicky and more trouble to deal with.

Alternatively there is a plug in that will make everything disappear in
the drawing except the selected component. This is a temporary action
and is reversed by running the plug in again. That is known as the
Isolate/Reveal plug in.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 08:48:40 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
Alternatively there is a plug in that will make everything disappear in
the drawing except the selected component. This is a temporary action
and is reversed by running the plug in again. That is known as the
Isolate/Reveal plug in.

In case anyone is interested, the Festool Owners Group has initiated a
Sketchup discussion section..

Agreed, there's quite a bit of Sketchup knowledge here from people
like Leon and Swingman. The FOG is also bound to have additional
information.
http://festoolownersgroup.com/comput...ard/?topicseen

And again, you can download the free version of Sketchup from here.
http://www.sketchup.com/

Sketchup - again dadiOH[_3_] Woodworking 6 June 26th 13 02:49 PM
Sketchup Ralph Compton Woodworking 21 March 4th 12 07:03 PM
sketchup help SonomaProducts.com Woodworking 9 May 13th 10 07:36 AM
Second SketchUp Bill Woodworking Plans and Photos 3 October 9th 09 12:08 AM
First SketchUp Bill Woodworking Plans and Photos 3 October 7th 09 03:47 PM