Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default sketchup help needed

On 2/14/2014 9:49 AM, woodchucker wrote:
On 2/14/2014 8:40 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/13/2014 10:12 PM, woodchucker wrote:

When you are feeling better, would like to know how you drilled through
both components.

Makes it easier if you "hide" everything but the component you want to
work on. There is a plugin that makes this easier:

http://extensions.sketchup.com/en/co...lect-n-isolate

Then I simply drew a circle of the desired radius on the surface of your
component; hit Edit/Cut; then opened the component in Edit mode, hit
Edit/Paste-in-place; and while the component was still in Edit mode,
used the push/pull tool to complete the hole.

Besides the above method of drawing a circle with the desired radius on
the surface of a component/group in edit mode ... and using the
push/pull tool to make the hole ... you can also make a cylindrical
component of the desired radius and size, push it through the component
you want to make the hole in, then use "intersect faces", then remove
the cylindrical component from the component you want the hole in,
leaving just the hole.

This method is particularly handy when you need to "drill" angled holes
in a model, and/or in a model with a curved surface that you could not
normally draw or paste a circle onto.

A few years back I make a quick tutorial .skp file for one of the wRec
posters on how to do this.

Just re-posted it again to apbw.

Either manually click through the Scenes in the tutorial, or use
Animation|Play.

Let me know if it doesn't work for you

Thanks. I'm investing time in this. I'm liking the ability to
troubleshoot the sizes ahead of time. When I started I was guessing at
sizes. When I went and measured, it was pretty quick to adjust, except
re-centering the holes, or re-centering the pillow blocks... they didn't
recenter.

One thing to remember, most everything has a solution with Sketchup. ;~)