Posted to rec.woodworking
Dan Coby Dan Coby is offline

Default sketchup help needed

On 2/13/2014 4:29 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 2/13/2014 6:45 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/13/2014 1:06 PM, woodchucker wrote:
I have a problem with my model here.
I have drilled a hole through the side, in Xray mode it looks correct,
but in 3d solid it does not. I did it the same way I did the top drill
through, so what is going on here.

It looks like you didn't use the push/pull tool far enough to break the
outside faces of the block with the circle you used to push through to
get the hole?

In order to get a circular hole through both sides of solid, you need to
make sure you go all the way to the outside face of both sides ... just
like you do with a drill.

If that is not the problem, can you make the model available for download?

Sure, I suck at sketchup. I sized those holes the wrong size.
I don't see a way to resize the hole, nor do I see a way to move a drilled hole.

Man this has taken me all day practically when not shovelling or raking the roof..

This is based off Ron Walters adjuster. I used my dial indicator to move the fence the other day and it was dead on. I just want to build this thing to make life easier instead of
setting up a machinists' magnet and arms.. takes too long.. I see this as a valuable tool. I was able to dial it in , in seconds.

Ron's article is : http://woodgears.ca/reader/walters/fence_micro.html

My sketchup model is at: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw2...it?usp=sharing

Your side pieces seem to consist of a component called Full Side.
This component consists of a a group that contains four objects.
These are the two cylinders that are supposed to be the holes plus
components named bottom1 and Clamping Side1.

The holes need to be in the components bottom1 and Clamping Side1.
Instead they are outside of the components.

You can either:

A: Delete the cylinders that form the current holes. Then open for
editing the components and create new holes.

or

B: There is a feature called 'Edit/Paste in Place' that is often useful
for moving things from outside of a component into a component. First you
select the object to be moved (in this case the cylinders that are the
holes). You then use either Edit/Copy or ctrl-c to make a copy of the
object. Then you open the object that you want to edit (Clamping Side1)
and then you use 'Edit/Paste in Place'. This will place the copied object
inside of the component.

However in your case things get confusing. You have two separate components
(bottom1 and Clamp Side1) and you have to edit each one separately. Also
you have to adjust the length of the holes for each component and reverse
the faces and delete the surfaces which are the ends of the cylinders.

I would probably go with plan A in this case.

Dan