Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Door Design

Pretty nifty design. Would you want one?

http://www.ohgizmo.com/2014/02/12/wo...8OhGizmo%21%29

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

Meanie wrote:
Pretty nifty design. Would you want one?

http://www.ohgizmo.com/2014/02/12/wo...8OhGizmo%21%29

Nope. Pretty novel but it just doesn't seem to satisfy any real need.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 15:25:41 -0500, Meanie wrote:

Pretty nifty design. Would you want one?

http://www.ohgizmo.com/2014/02/12/wo...8OhGizmo%21%29

No I believe in the kiss principle, that goes for fancy electronic
lighting, door locks, plumbing fixtures and all the "wonderful" 21st
century stuff for your home.

Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 15:55:17 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Meanie wrote:
Pretty nifty design. Would you want one?

http://www.ohgizmo.com/2014/02/12/wo...8OhGizmo%21%29

Nope. Pretty novel but it just doesn't seem to satisfy any real need.

Pocket door without the pocket?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 15:12:30 -0600, Markem
wrote:

On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 15:25:41 -0500, Meanie wrote:

Pretty nifty design. Would you want one?

http://www.ohgizmo.com/2014/02/12/wo...8OhGizmo%21%29

No I believe in the kiss principle, that goes for fancy electronic
lighting, door locks, plumbing fixtures and all the "wonderful" 21st
century stuff for your home.

I don't see it as something I'd want, either, but it's not exactly
"high tech". It's just ugly. ;-)

Of course, I'd like some of that "high tech" electricity stuff,
sometime soon. :-(

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/12/2014 3:55 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Meanie wrote:
Pretty nifty design. Would you want one?

http://www.ohgizmo.com/2014/02/12/wo...8OhGizmo%21%29

Nope. Pretty novel but it just doesn't seem to satisfy any real need.

I'm not crazy about the "bend" in the middle of each half. You can even
see in the .gif that it didn't return to "flat" by itself. As an aside,
I had to close that page after a short time; those "infinite-repeat"
..gifs make me jumpy.

I liked the second design better, but I still think I'd prefer to admire
it from afar ... in someone else's house.

My family was recently in Quebec City. We stayed in a nice hotel that
we've been to several times. They have apparently just done some
remodeling; a very sleek and modern look that was acceptable for the
most part. The one oddity was that the door to the bathroom slid on a
track. It wasn't a pocket door; the track and the door were entirely
outside the door frame on the "main room" side. This did not appear to
be to save space; the bathroom was of generous proportions and could
easily have accommodated the swing of a door.

The main function of a bathroom door is to afford a sense of visual and
aural privacy. The 3/4" gap between the wall and the door detracted from
that. Now the door probably overlapped the frame by 2" on each side, so
you'd have to be pretty determined (and lucky) to catch a glimpse of
someone inside, but you could hear sound with no effort at all.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:

[...]

Built a custom home a few years back and the clients insisted on a sliding
barn door track for the Master BR. Now that they have a child, wonder how
that's working out?

Just yesterday went to measure up a prospective job for a bid, damned if
one of the items wasn't refitting hinged, double 8' doors to slide on barn
door tracks, in a home office,

Must be something in the water...

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/12/2014 5:13 PM, Swingman wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:

[...]

When you refit that door send me the hardware.
My washer /dryer are right off the kitchen. My wife does the laundry
every freaking dinner. Since the basement ,garage and back door are all
in the same spot there's no way to hang a door, but a sliding one would
work. The problem is the hardware is so freaking expensive now that
everyone wants barndoors.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/12/14, 4:13 PM, Swingman wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:

[...]

I've seen that, too. The novelty wears off real fast.
An application I've seen in two places that really worked?

Ironically, one was in a studio to separate two large rooms. They were
about 16ft. wide and could open up to make a large, open room, or close
up to isolate a pretty big grand piano booth. Yes, the soundproofing
was pretty remarkable.

The other was in a big home that had an 8 footer between the main house
and an in-law suite. I'll let your imagination run with that one. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/12/2014 3:25 PM, Meanie wrote:
Pretty nifty design. Would you want one?

http://www.ohgizmo.com/2014/02/12/wo...8OhGizmo%21%29

It's an example of how a comparatively small slice of the population
processes information differently than the majority.

It's an interesting concept, that Torrgler has worked out in several
different variations.

http://torggler.co.at/

If you look at this as replacing a conventional door then you are
missing the point, and that is rather normal.

I fall in the other group. In fact, I don't even see it as a door, and
have mentally filed it away. I like it.

Jeff

---
protection is active.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jeff Thies" wrote:

I fall in the other group. In fact, I don't even see it as a door,
and have mentally filed it away. I like it.

----------------------------------
I know it's not Cleveland, but how is the weather in Atlanta?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2014 12:56 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Jeff Thies" wrote:

I fall in the other group. In fact, I don't even see it as a door,
and have mentally filed it away. I like it.

----------------------------------
I know it's not Cleveland, but how is the weather in Atlanta?

It's a winter blunderland out there! About 1/2" of ice topped by perhaps
a 1/2" of snow. Cold and very crisp, you can hear all the trains.

Power went out for about an hour. I must say that crews fixing the lines
are doing a bang up job.

Raleigh, apparently is experiencing the same problem that befell Atlanta
two weeks earlier. Snow came in early afternoon for them and they did
the same thing Atlanta did, and created instant gridlock.

Here, this time, it was freezing rain early AM. Nobody was out
(Atlantans know about ice storms and are afraid of them), and for the
most part nobody has gone out. Traffic cams are full of empty roads.

Thanks for asking.

Jeff

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 21:56:05 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

"Jeff Thies" wrote:

I fall in the other group. In fact, I don't even see it as a door,
and have mentally filed it away. I like it.

----------------------------------
I know it's not Cleveland, but how is the weather in Atlanta?

Lost power for 30hrs. It was 49F in the house this morning (the cats
were trying to share our body heat . We didn't eat much yesterday
(too cold to get out from under the covers for long) so went out for
lunch. We're on the SW side of Atlanta so only had 1/4" of ice and a
dusting of snow on top. the roads were fine. When we came home,
about 4:30, the power had been on for about 45min and the house was
warm(er). Back to work tomorrow.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jeff Thies" wrote:

I fall in the other group. In fact, I don't even see it as a door,
and have mentally filed it away. I like it.

----------------------------------
I know it's not Cleveland, but how is the weather in Atlanta?

It's a winter blunderland out there! About 1/2" of ice topped by perhaps
a 1/2" of snow. Cold and very crisp, you can hear all the trains.

Power went out for about an hour. I must say that crews fixing the lines
are doing a bang up job.

Raleigh, apparently is experiencing the same problem that befell Atlanta
two weeks earlier. Snow came in early afternoon for them and they did
the same thing Atlanta did, and created instant gridlock.

Here, this time, it was freezing rain early AM. Nobody was out
(Atlantans know about ice storms and are afraid of them), and for the
most part nobody has gone out. Traffic cams are full of empty roads.

Two weeks ago, it started raining here about the same time but
everyone was (properly) gun shy this time. Most businesses called it
the day before, as did government. The governor and Atlanta's mayor
took a *lot* of heat and didn't want to make that mistake again. They
did the right thing, this time.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jeff Thies" wrote:

It's a winter blunderland out there! About 1/2" of ice topped by
perhaps a 1/2" of snow. Cold and very crisp, you can hear all the
trains.

Power went out for about an hour. I must say that crews fixing the
lines are doing a bang up job.

Raleigh, apparently is experiencing the same problem that befell
Atlanta two weeks earlier. Snow came in early afternoon for them and
they did the same thing Atlanta did, and created instant gridlock.

Here, this time, it was freezing rain early AM. Nobody was out
(Atlantans know about ice storms and are afraid of them), and for
the most part nobody has gone out. Traffic cams are full of empty
roads.

Thanks for asking.

----------------------------
Glad to see you are surviving.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 12:20:51 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

Lost power for 30hrs. It was 49F in the house this morning (the cats
were trying to share our body heat . We didn't eat much yesterday
(too cold to get out from under the covers for long) so went out for
lunch. We're on the SW side of Atlanta so only had 1/4" of ice and a
dusting of snow on top. the roads were fine. When we came home,
about 4:30, the power had been on for about 45min and the house was
warm(er). Back to work tomorrow.

49F is cold no matter where you're from, unless you live in an igloo
somewhere. I'm feelin' for ya brother. God bless my woodstove. We ran out
of fuel oil earlier and the house got into the 50's. That was cold. But -
the wood stove kept it from getting worse.

We've only been in the house for a couple of years and haven't had any
power outages at all but with Global Warming what it is, now, we gotta
do something for backup heat. I may just put ventless gas logs in the
fireplace (we'd have to put in LP).
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"Jeff Thies" wrote:

I fall in the other group. In fact, I don't even see it as a door,
and have mentally filed it away. I like it.
----------------------------------
I know it's not Cleveland, but how is the weather in Atlanta?

Lost power for 30hrs.

Yikes.

It was 49F in the house this morning (the cats
were trying to share our body heat . We didn't eat much yesterday
(too cold to get out from under the covers for long) so went out for
lunch.

Restaurants were very busy, I've heard.

Yep. I've never been in a waiting line to get seated at 2:00 on a
weekday before. I think they were missing staff, though. We had
nowhere to go. ;-)

I've thought a bit about emergency heat, although I have a very seldom
used woodstove fireplace insert in a different part of the house.

Cleanest would be to get a propane cat heater, messier is to get some
lamp fuel for kerosene lanterns. It's about 1000 BTU/hr for each lamp, a
couple lamps could knock the chill off a room. White gas and a double
mantle "coleman" lamp would probably toast you up.

Just a thought.

We'll probably put vent-free gas logs in the fireplace. SWMBO wants a
the gas stove we had in our Alabama house, so we'll have to put LP in
anyway. It won't be a huge issue because the basement is unfinished.

We used kerosene heaters in NY for emergency heat. Not so good. In
VT we had a wood stove that would drive you out of the house if it
wasn't below 10F, or so. ;-) We never lost power for any time,
though. We're in a development now, too, but it's kinda out in the
boonies.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"Jeff Thies" wrote:

[...]

Just don't wind up with carbon monoxide poisining... Some idiots in
Philly put charcoal grills in their home to heat it...
Imagine?

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/14/2014 7:11 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 18:48:40 -0500, Jeff Thies
wrote:

wrote:

"Jeff Thies" wrote:

[...]

That's how my current fireplace is with heatilator. The damn thing is so
oversized for my small house. It cooks you out of the house, you open
the doors. The heatalator is very efficient, I can run it off a car
battery and inverter.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]