Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Door Design

On 2/12/14, 4:13 PM, Swingman wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:

My family was recently in Quebec City. We stayed in a nice hotel
that we've been to several times. They have apparently just done
some remodeling; a very sleek and modern look that was acceptable
for the most part. The one oddity was that the door to the bathroom
slid on a track. It wasn't a pocket door; the track and the door
were entirely outside the door frame on the "main room" side. This
did not appear to be to save space; the bathroom was of generous
proportions and could easily have accommodated the swing of a
door.

The main function of a bathroom door is to afford a sense of visual
and aural privacy. The 3/4" gap between the wall and the door
detracted from that. Now the door probably overlapped the frame by
2" on each side, so you'd have to be pretty determined (and lucky)
to catch a glimpse of someone inside, but you could hear sound with
no effort at all.

Built a custom home a few years back and the clients insisted on a
sliding barn door track for the Master BR. Now that they have a
child, wonder how that's working out?

Just yesterday went to measure up a prospective job for a bid, damned
if one of the items wasn't refitting hinged, double 8' doors to slide
on barn door tracks, in a home office,

Must be something in the water...

I've seen that, too. The novelty wears off real fast.
An application I've seen in two places that really worked?

Ironically, one was in a studio to separate two large rooms. They were
about 16ft. wide and could open up to make a large, open room, or close
up to isolate a pretty big grand piano booth. Yes, the soundproofing
was pretty remarkable.

The other was in a big home that had an 8 footer between the main house
and an in-law suite. I'll let your imagination run with that one. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--