Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Door design help please

I need a pair of internal 'wardrobe' doors in my garage so I went to
inspect what is available at Jewsons. £52 for a pair of 540mm wide
doors would do the job but being a meanie I dont like the price. Doors
in a garage do not need to be beautiful, they just have to hang
properly without warping

So a sheet of MDF looks like the answer but I've not used MDF much
before. Would 12mm thickness be adequate? Should it be ledged and
braced to stop it warping or will it be OK by itself?

Anna
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anna Kettle wrote:
I need a pair of internal 'wardrobe' doors in my garage so I went to
inspect what is available at Jewsons. £52 for a pair of 540mm wide
doors would do the job but being a meanie I dont like the price. Doors
in a garage do not need to be beautiful, they just have to hang
properly without warping

So a sheet of MDF looks like the answer but I've not used MDF much
before. Would 12mm thickness be adequate? Should it be ledged and
braced to stop it warping or will it be OK by itself?

Anna

Can you not grab hold of a sheet, wiggle it, see if its stiff enough
for you. MDF is quite water susceptible, so it would need to be a dry
garage.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anna Kettle wrote:
I need a pair of internal 'wardrobe' doors in my garage so I went to
inspect what is available at Jewsons. £52 for a pair of 540mm wide
doors would do the job but being a meanie I dont like the price. Doors
in a garage do not need to be beautiful, they just have to hang
properly without warping

So a sheet of MDF looks like the answer but I've not used MDF much
before. Would 12mm thickness be adequate? Should it be ledged and
braced to stop it warping or will it be OK by itself?

Anna

It probably will warp in a garage.

Best to knock up a frame of e.g. 2x1 planed and double skin it with THIN
MDF. I've used 19mm(3'x2') MDF in small doors in a utility room, Its OKish.

OTOH discarde wardrobes with ply/frame doors are two a penny.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anna Kettle wrote:
I need a pair of internal 'wardrobe' doors in my garage so I went to
inspect what is available at Jewsons. £52 for a pair of 540mm wide
doors would do the job but being a meanie I dont like the price. Doors
in a garage do not need to be beautiful, they just have to hang
properly without warping

So a sheet of MDF looks like the answer but I've not used MDF much
before. Would 12mm thickness be adequate? Should it be ledged and
braced to stop it warping or will it be OK by itself?

Anna

18mm should be ok by itself. Waterproof flooring grade chipboard perhaps?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anna Kettle wrote:

I need a pair of internal 'wardrobe' doors in my garage so I went to
inspect what is available at Jewsons. £52 for a pair of 540mm wide
doors would do the job but being a meanie I dont like the price. Doors
in a garage do not need to be beautiful, they just have to hang
properly without warping

So a sheet of MDF looks like the answer but I've not used MDF much
before. Would 12mm thickness be adequate? Should it be ledged and
braced to stop it warping or will it be OK by itself?

Anna

Do they have to be a particular size, or do you have some flexibility? If
you can accommodate a range of sizes, you may be able to pick up some
*actual* wardrobe doors cheaply or for nothing. Have you looked at your
local Freecycle? There are often wardrobes on offer where I live (central
Warwickshire). Also, our local tip has a shop where they sell discarded
stuff which is too good to go to landfill. Maybe yours does to?

I've a feeling that if you use MDF, you'll need 18mm to get the necessary
rigidity - and that starts to get fairly heavy - *and* expensive.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 18, 7:29 am, (Anna Kettle) wrote:
I need a pair of internal 'wardrobe' doors in my garage so I went to
inspect what is available at Jewsons. £52 for a pair of 540mm wide
doors would do the job but being a meanie I dont like the price. Doors
in a garage do not need to be beautiful, they just have to hang
properly without warping

So a sheet of MDF looks like the answer but I've not used MDF much
before. Would 12mm thickness be adequate? Should it be ledged and
braced to stop it warping or will it be OK by itself?

Just put some cross pieces where you are going to site the hinges and
see if 6 mm will do. If that curls, put some more cross rails on it.

Don't glue the rails as the timber is most likely to curl.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 11:22:50 -0700, Weatherlawyer
wrote:

On Aug 18, 7:29 am, (Anna Kettle) wrote:
I need a pair of internal 'wardrobe' doors in my garage so I went to
inspect what is available at Jewsons. =A352 for a pair of 540mm wide
doors would do the job but being a meanie I dont like the price. Doors
in a garage do not need to be beautiful, they just have to hang
properly without warping

So a sheet of MDF looks like the answer but I've not used MDF much
before. Would 12mm thickness be adequate? Should it be ledged and
braced to stop it warping or will it be OK by itself?

Just put some cross pieces where you are going to site the hinges and
see if 6 mm will do. If that curls, put some more cross rails on it.

Don't glue the rails as the timber is most likely to curl.

Thanks for your advice everyone. I shall try and get hold of some
second hand wooden wardrobe doors - that seems the simplest and
cheapest option

Anna