Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New Miter Saw and Stand

I finally retired my old compound miter saw to dedicated metal use and
replaced it with a HF 10" sliding compound miter. I had to rebuild my saw
stand to fit the new saw. Pictures at:

http://s1259.photobucket.com/user/mi...?sort=3&page=1

How do you like that pencil holder? Great way to repurpose something. Some
here will certainly know what it was in its former life, but for those who
don't - look in the Snapbucket album.

It's actually the pencil holder I'm most proud of!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/4/2013 7:18 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
I finally retired my old compound miter saw to dedicated metal use and
replaced it with a HF 10" sliding compound miter. I had to rebuild my saw
stand to fit the new saw. Pictures at:

http://s1259.photobucket.com/user/mi...?sort=3&page=1

How do you like that pencil holder? Great way to repurpose something. Some
here will certainly know what it was in its former life, but for those who
don't - look in the Snapbucket album.

It's actually the pencil holder I'm most proud of!

Ok, now your going to make me post a pic of my pencil holder...
Nice idea, but what did your quill say...??

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
On 10/4/2013 7:18 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
I finally retired my old compound miter saw to dedicated metal use
and replaced it with a HF 10" sliding compound miter. I had to
rebuild my saw stand to fit the new saw. Pictures at:

http://s1259.photobucket.com/user/mi...?sort=3&page=1

How do you like that pencil holder? Great way to repurpose
something. Some here will certainly know what it was in its former
life, but for those who don't - look in the Snapbucket album.

It's actually the pencil holder I'm most proud of!

Ok, now your going to make me post a pic of my pencil holder...
Nice idea, but what did your quill say...??

It was from an old quiver so I wasn't at risk. The benefits of being a pack
rat that won't throw anything away...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramps' shop wrote:

So how do you like the HF slider?

So far, I like it. It was dead nut on alignment right out of the box, it
moves very smoothly, and it works as it should. Time will tell the story as
far as durability goes, but I'm very happy with it now. I do like not
having to roll a board in the bed, just to cut through. The slider is a
great concept - wish I'd had one long ago.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 05 Oct 2013 06:37:36 -0400, Mike Marlow wrote:

So how do you like the HF slider?

So far, I like it.

I bought the 12" slider when it was on sale this spring. Since I'm just
now getting to the end of converting my garage into a shop I haven't
tried it out yet. But I will be shortly. I'll post a report.

--
This message was for rec.woodworking - if it appears in homeownershub
they ripped it off.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sat, 05 Oct 2013 06:37:36 -0400, Mike Marlow wrote:

So how do you like the HF slider?

So far, I like it.

I bought the 12" slider when it was on sale this spring. Since I'm
just now getting to the end of converting my garage into a shop I
haven't tried it out yet. But I will be shortly. I'll post a report.

I'll watch for it. I considered the 12" but it was $179 and the 10" was
$119. I got a 20% off coupon so that made it just under $100. I figured I
wouldn't need a cut wider than 12" so I went with the price point. The
question I have though, is how can you buy a new toy and not find a reason
to use it immediately? That just ain't right Larry!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 05 Oct 2013 15:34:30 -0400, Mike Marlow wrote:

The
question I have though, is how can you buy a new toy and not find a
reason to use it immediately? That just ain't right Larry!

I bought it shortly before getting pneumonia. That took a while to get
my strength back. Then my wife had surgery and I had to play nurse and
housewife. Finally got past all that and went back to wiring the garage
and building storage cabinets. The saw sits on one of those. We'd like
to get the car back into the garage before snow time - we're getting
close.

Then I need to cover about 15' of wall with bookcases - that should break
in the saw :-).

--
This message was for rec.woodworking - if it appears in homeownershub
they ripped it off.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/4/2013 7:18 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
I finally retired my old compound miter saw to dedicated metal use and
replaced it with a HF 10" sliding compound miter. I had to rebuild my saw
stand to fit the new saw. Pictures at:

http://s1259.photobucket.com/user/mi...?sort=3&page=1

How do you like that pencil holder? Great way to repurpose something. Some
here will certainly know what it was in its former life, but for those who
don't - look in the Snapbucket album.

It's actually the pencil holder I'm most proud of!

Ok, Mike, good pencil holder..
Here's another.

http://imgur.com/a/wLzRs#0

Like many of you I can't find my pencil after putting it down, so I did
this. I don't lose it anymore.

Check out my compressor's automated water relief valve.

Mouse over images for title, and click to get full description.. if it
shows up.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

Martin Eastburn wrote:
Will you cut 4x4 ? or 2x4 on edge ?

10" is limited. 12 adds another inch of cut and more teeth per
revolution.

Perhaps, but I've cut 4x4's all these years just fine, so to be honest - I
never thought about needing to do it differently.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sat, 05 Oct 2013 15:34:30 -0400, Mike Marlow wrote:

The
question I have though, is how can you buy a new toy and not find a
reason to use it immediately? That just ain't right Larry!

I bought it shortly before getting pneumonia. That took a while to
get my strength back. Then my wife had surgery and I had to play
nurse and housewife. Finally got past all that and went back to
wiring the garage and building storage cabinets. The saw sits on one
of those. We'd like to get the car back into the garage before snow
time - we're getting close.

Then I need to cover about 15' of wall with bookcases - that should
break in the saw :-).

Oh sure - come up with good reasons. BTW - where in snow country are you
located?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
On 10/4/2013 7:18 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
I finally retired my old compound miter saw to dedicated metal use
and replaced it with a HF 10" sliding compound miter. I had to
rebuild my saw stand to fit the new saw. Pictures at:

http://s1259.photobucket.com/user/mi...?sort=3&page=1

How do you like that pencil holder? Great way to repurpose
something. Some here will certainly know what it was in its former
life, but for those who don't - look in the Snapbucket album.

It's actually the pencil holder I'm most proud of!

Ok, Mike, good pencil holder..
Here's another.

Thank you sir. I like your idea. I might have to steal that and fashion a
removable style for my normal glasses. Damned pencil is always falling out
from behind my ear.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote in
:

Ok, Mike, good pencil holder..
Here's another.

http://imgur.com/a/wLzRs#0

Like many of you I can't find my pencil after putting it down, so I
did this. I don't lose it anymore.

Check out my compressor's automated water relief valve.

Mouse over images for title, and click to get full description.. if it
shows up.

I got one of those retractable pencil holders from Lee Valley. It worked
ok, but sometimes the pencil would catch on my leg.

Both it and the pencil it carried are gone. No idea what happened to it,
didn't even find it in the latest shop clean out.

I'd probably lose the safety glasses too...

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 6 Oct 2013 01:58:40 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
Then I need to cover about 15' of wall with bookcases - that should break
in the saw :-).

Nice use of a barbeque stand. Where do you barbeque now?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 05 Oct 2013 22:58:18 -0400, Mike Marlow wrote:

Oh sure - come up with good reasons. BTW - where in snow country are
you located?

Eastern WA - almost to Idaho