Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Very OT - but this stuff is getting rediculous...

I'd have a problem with a school principal sticking his nose into my
business this way...

http://www.infowars.com/seventh-grad...y-gun-at-home/

And, the nosy neighbor as well...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:
I'd have a problem with a school principal sticking his nose into my
business this way...

http://www.infowars.com/seventh-grad...y-gun-at-home/

And, the nosy neighbor as well...

Jeez!

IMHO, what I am about to say is my view, I'm sure some one may argue but
in another thread I made a comment about why I believe our society in going
in the direction it is going in.

First of all, political correctness gone over board for sure.

Second, the parent of the child. The child is the parents property until
he gets on the bus and goes to school, then he is the schools property.
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG

Third, the child seems to be mature enough to be worried about not being
able to go to college because of this incident.
In so much that the teenager has the fore site to even make that comment,
that comment seems to be more of a reaction of a punishing threat made to
him after the fact. I'm not sure that a teenager that is not concerned
about displaying a toy gun in public, especially with all the news coverage
that has been going around, even has college on the radar.

Yes the student is an immature child but, IMHO, he is making comments that
a more mature person would be making.

IMHO the child is the victim of a society that is more and more causing
these type situations to come up.
Fifty years ago this behavior by a child would have been acceptable and in
most instances expected of a male child..

The parent describing her child as her property and then indicating that
the child becomes the schools property is a clear indicator that the parent
expects some one else, the government, to take responsibility of the child
and his actions. The same parent will probably **** a brick if the child
creates a disturbance in school for the same reason and dispenses
punishment. Because that is a 100% probability the schools can only stay
out of trouble and public scrutiny by issuing a punishment with little to
no effect.

IMHO, if you expect others to be responsible for your child they should
also have the authority to take appropriate measures when your child
misbehaves or causes a disturbance. If you don't believe that those that
have "taken responsibility" of your " property" should hold the child
responsible for his or her actions and issue appropriate discipline to
prevent further problems then you need to realize that "your property" is
your responsibility 100% of the time. You need to be responsible for your
child's actions as much as him or her.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"Mike Marlow" wrote:
I'd have a problem with a school principal sticking his
nose into my business this way...

http://www.infowars.com/seventh-grad...y-gun-at-home/

And, the nosy neighbor as well...

Jeez!

IMHO, what I am about to say is my view, I'm sure some
one may argue but in another thread I made a comment
about why I believe our society in going in the direction
it is going in.

First of all, political correctness gone over board for
sure.

+20

Second, the parent of the child. The child is the
parents property until he gets on the bus and goes to
school, then he is the schools property. WRONG, WRONG,
WRONG

I think you may be misunderstanding her thoughts. I read it to mean, "Butt
the hell out of my son's and my life unless and until he is on school
property. Only then do you have any authority."

IMHO the child is the victim of a society that is more
and more causing these type situations to come up.
Fifty years ago this behavior by a child would have been
acceptable and in most instances expected of a male
child..

The whole bloody country is turning into a nation of wusses, worrying about
trivialities.

We have hotshot lawyers fishing for class action suits over almost anything.

If some dimwit gets a scratch, they are off to the emergency room, then to a
slip & fall lawyer. They view even the most trivial injury as a pass to
riches.

I smoke. I don't do so around non-smokers. I resent some **** ant in a car
next to me coming unglued if he/she sees me puffing a cigarette.

Lead is useful.

Asbestos is (was) useful.

Molds (some) are useful. Some are not but they aren't a death warrant.

Exactly when did common sense leave and where did it go?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/28/2013 12:31 PM, dadiOH wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

"Mike Marlow" wrote:
[...]

There is a 50/50 chance you are correct. But living in Houston, It
seems to be a common belief that school is a place to baby sit the kids
while both parents are either at work or taking time off from the kids.

A few weeks ago just north of Houston there was a school stabbing that
resulted in 3 injuries and one teenager dieing. An interview with the
parents and relatives indicated that the boy was a good kid that never
got into trouble. Interviews with students indicated otherwise.

Parent were raising hell because the school was having an increase in
violence and not doing anything about it.
Could this be because their hands are tied?

Many of the parents had every right to be out raged and angry. Some of
the parents are probably partially responsible for transferring
ownership and responsibility of their kids to the school.

IMHO the child is the victim of a society that is more
and more causing these type situations to come up.
Fifty years ago this behavior by a child would have been
acceptable and in most instances expected of a male
child..

The whole bloody country is turning into a nation of wusses, worrying about
trivialities.

We have hotshot lawyers fishing for class action suits over almost anything.

If some dimwit gets a scratch, they are off to the emergency room, then to a
slip & fall lawyer. They view even the most trivial injury as a pass to
riches.

There is a lawyer for every one that does not want to accept
responsibility for getting through life on their own. There is the
attitude that a law suite will cure their problems. There is no longer
any pride.

I smoke. I don't do so around non-smokers. I resent some **** ant in a car
next to me coming unglued if he/she sees me puffing a cigarette.

Lead is useful.

Asbestos is (was) useful.

Molds (some) are useful. Some are not but they aren't a death warrant.

Exactly when did common sense leave and where did it go?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 09:09:32 -0500, Leon wrote:

"Mike Marlow" wrote:
[...]

First of all, a child is NOT property of anyone but himself. Though
many would have you believe he's the property of the state (as we all
are). Substitute "responsibility" for "property" and perhaps there is
some intelligence in there somewhere.

....but it did make her "uncomfortable". sheesh!

Posted to rec.woodworking

RP wrote:

I don't understand how the principal even thinks for a minute
that he has any jurisdiction over that child. I would take that
to the school board immediately. That kid shouldn't have to wait
until January to have them convene.

If I were the parents, I sure as hell would not wait. I'd be talking to the
school board, to the principal, and to the superintendent. I'd explain to
them my intent to file suit against the school, the prinicpal and the board,
for lible, for defamation of character, for slander, and for whatever else
my attorney could come up with. I'd "demand" the principal be held to the
same type of public disicpline that he extended to my child, that his
repremand become a matter of his/her professional record, and that he be
suspended from his/her job for 6 months without pay or benefits.
Essentially, the very same treatment that the principal subjected this kid
to. Or - the school can bear the cost of defending against my lawsuits.

This is so out of line, in so many different ways. Schools today seem to
think they have more authority in the lives of kids than they really do,
they seem to feel they can impose the agenda and preferences of teachers and
administrators upon the kids and families, and they seem to think they are
the voice of right thinking in all matters. Forget that the principal
grossly misstated the nature of the "offense - (albeit there was no
offense...), created a stigma for this kid to live with for a while. Why
don't these overpaid administrators spend their time worrying about how to
turn out educated kids and not worry about a kid shooting an air gun in his
own yard in a perfectly safe and approved manner?

As for the bitch neighbor - she'd understand the meaning of the term
harassment if she ever pulled a stunt like that again.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/28/2013 1:31 PM, dadiOH wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

"Mike Marlow" wrote:
[...]

This is going to sound sexist and it probably is, but I think when woman
became more powerful in our society this happened. Too man with no
understanding, and a very loud bark, and even a painful bite.

Alot of this is wussy like you say... and that comes from the female
side of things.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message ...

I'd have a problem with a school principal sticking his nose into my business this way...
http://www.infowars.com/seventh-grad...y-gun-at-home/
And, the nosy neighbor as well...
--
-Mike-

IMNSHO justice would be reinstating both kids immediately and suspending that
principal for 9 months without pay.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"Mike Marlow" wrote:
[...]

Sounds that way a little. :~) I don't think it's necessarily women
becoming more powerful, mom's seemed to have a lot of power when they
were manning the home front, so much as both women and men forgetting
what sexual role they play in life.
What used to help guide us morally 50 years ago is out the window today.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/28/2013 3:52 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
RP wrote:

I don't understand how the principal even thinks for a minute
that he has any jurisdiction over that child. I would take that
to the school board immediately. That kid shouldn't have to wait
until January to have them convene.

First of all I would get the "actual facts" rather than depend on the
media, which usually has an agenda, and find out what really went on. I
think the actual events may have played out differently with perhaps a
lot of what actually went on having been left out of the story to make
it sound more sensational.

Then, probably what you mentioned below.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/28/2013 5:15 PM, Leon wrote:
Sounds that way a little. :~) I don't think it's necessarily women
becoming more powerful, mom's seemed to have a lot of power when they
were manning the home front, so much as both women and men forgetting
what sexual role they play in life.
What used to help guide us morally 50 years ago is out the window today.

What is out about moral principals like
treat everybody as you would wish to be treated.
Don't covet the things of your neighbor, unless you are willing to work
for it.
Respect those around you.

In the liberal's efforts to remove religion form the world they have
thrown the baby out with the bath water. And now they can not
understand why there are large portions of our populations waiting for
government hand outs while shooting and mugging each other.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 17:53:12 -0400, Keith Nuttle
wrote:

On 9/28/2013 3:31 PM, wrote:
First of all, a child is NOT property of anyone but himself. Though
many would have you believe he's the property of the state (as we all
are). Substitute "responsibility" for "property" and perhaps there is
some intelligence in there somewhere.

...but it did make her "uncomfortable". sheesh!

I thought my ancestor worked to solve that problem over 150 years ago
when they rode south with the Union Army.

Indeed.

A person belong to no one. If you are a parent YOU are responsible to
your children. The schools are only responsible of keeping order in
school and EDUCATING the children in their class rooms. They can teach
them nutrition but can not enforce nutrition.

"responsible for". ;-)

No, the schools are responsible for the children when they are in
their care. That is an obligation *to* the children and not in any
way ownership. It seems that too many people have the arrow
backwards.

"You are the captain of your soul the master of your fate." and as a
parent it is your responsibility to teach your kid the moral frame work
to make intelligent decision so he can take responsibility for his soul
and his fate.

Agreed (but it isn't the schools' job to undo that, either).

NOT the schools, the local government or the federal government.

You radical, you! ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

There goes the news group!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/28/2013 5:02 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

In the liberal's efforts to remove religion form the world they have
thrown the baby out with the bath water. And now they can not
understand why there are large portions of our populations waiting for
government hand outs while shooting and mugging each other.

No problem, a few more laws watering down the Constitution with fix
things right up, eh?

Arguably, the most important Amendment is the second. With that gone,
there will be no way to keep the rest, and the 2A is under constant,
systematic siege by the progressive, crowded, urban rats amongst us,
conditioned to be anti anything that is outside their small sphere of
perception.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

I'd have a problem with a school principal sticking his
nose into my business this way...

http://www.infowars.com/seventh-grad...ded-for-nine-m
onths-for-playing-with-toy-gun-at-home/

And, the nosy neighbor as well...

You gotta watch out for infowars.com and make sure you have the
full story. There was discussion of this on another forum I
frequent. While I don't agree with the 9 month suspension, he
broke the law. City code bans the use of BB and pellet guns
within the city limit.

Again, I don't agree with suspension and am not siding with the
decision, in fact I vehemently disagree with it and agree with
most of what has been posted, but the use of such "toys" was
clearly banned in city code.

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 09:34:04 -0700 (PDT), RP wrote:
Back when I was a kid we never used knives or guns on people we were ****ed off at. We used the time old tradition of beating the **** out of each other and then being best friends afterwards.

And, that was my world growing up too. Unfortunately, for whatever
reason, it's not that way anymore. There's a lot of advantages in
today's society, but there seems to be just as many problems with it
too. Guess that's the status quo.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 29 Sep 2013 00:35:25 GMT, Larry wrote:
While I don't agree with the 9 month suspension, he
broke the law. City code bans the use of BB and pellet guns
within the city limit.

However, a seventh grader is considered underage. If anyone is
responsible, it's his parents for letting him use such a toy. A kid of
that age, mostly doesn't have the realization that he's breaking some
obscure law.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

I'd have a problem with a school principal sticking his
nose into my business this way...

http://www.infowars.com/seventh-grad...ded-for-nine-m
onths-for-playing-with-toy-gun-at-home/

And, the nosy neighbor as well...

You gotta watch out for infowars.com and make sure you have the
full story. There was discussion of this on another forum I
frequent. While I don't agree with the 9 month suspension, he
broke the law. City code bans the use of BB and pellet guns
within the city limit.

As reported, it wasn't either. It was an Airsoft gun, and the police did
not take any actions against the youngsters. It appears the kids had
abidded by the city ordinances as relates to properly capturing the
"bullets", etc.

Again, I don't agree with suspension and am not siding with the
decision, in fact I vehemently disagree with it and agree with
most of what has been posted, but the use of such "toys" was
clearly banned in city code.

Again - as reported, this is not the case.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 22:14:41 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
would not surprise me if there is more to the story than what was reported
in the link I provided, but even if that is the case, it is of no business
of the school, and they well overstepped their boundaries by suspending the
kids for activities having nothing at all to do with school.

Well, as you've stated, there may be more to the story than what we've
heard.

For all we know, the kid took the gun/toy/whatever to school on one or
more occasions. Maybe the kid threatened to use it on someone at the
school. Granted, the school might well be overstepping their grounds,
but I do suspect there's a more direct connection to the school than
currently reported. We'll see.
Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...own-yard.shtml

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...zing-pen.shtml

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...hone-app.shtml

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 9/28/2013 10:26 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 9/28/2013 10:23 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 9/28/2013 6:38 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
I'd have a problem with a school principal sticking his nose into
my business this way...

http://www.infowars.com/seventh-grad...y-gun-at-home/

And, the nosy neighbor as well...

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...own-yard.shtml

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...zing-pen.shtml

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...hone-app.shtml

How about this for all those who stupidly believe that their school/local
officials have "good" reason to act on behalf of... well, who?

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/...gun-at-school/

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry wrote:

You gotta watch out for infowars.com and make sure you have the
full story. There was discussion of this on another forum I
frequent. While I don't agree with the 9 month suspension, he
broke the law. City code bans the use of BB and pellet guns
within the city limit.

So Larry - did anyone in this other forum look into the facts about this or
did they just blab on about stuff that they assumed might apply? Perhaps
they do indeed have additional information from the link I posted, but it is
not apparent that is so. Can you shed any light on why this other forum
decided that the kids did something illegal?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 23:06:56 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
No Dave - click the link. The kid did not take the gun to school. Nor to
the bus stop which was some 70 yards away. No such threats were reported or
even infered in the school's position. The risk is when we begin to allow
that some things "may" have happened, which were clearly reported to have
been investigated, and did not. Don't fall into the trap of trying to
excuse the actions of the school. There is just no such evidence and in
fact - many/most of these ideas were covered in the link provided.

Yes, I did read it, ALL of it and I know exactly what it said. And,
like I stated, up to this point, we have that one report to go on.
It's very possible that report is completely accurate, but it's just
as possible, in fact just as likely that there's more factual
information to appear in this matter.

As several people have stated and something with which I fully agree,
information reporting agencies have a very great tendency to
sensationalize what they report. Neither of us have any proof to the
contrary. I could be wrong, but I fully expect there's more
information to come forth in this particular incident. Let's just see
what appears.

I do agree with the fact that there appears to be many people and
organizations reacting unreasonably with the gun controversy in
America. But, what do you expect? There appears to be so many random
and unreasonable acts of gun violence, the general public should be
concerned. How can you expect them to act otherwise?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

Larry wrote:

You gotta watch out for infowars.com and make sure you
have the full story. There was discussion of this on
another forum I frequent. While I don't agree with the 9
month suspension, he broke the law. City code bans the use
of BB and pellet guns within the city limit.

So Larry - did anyone in this other forum look into the
facts about this or did they just blab on about stuff that
they assumed might apply? Perhaps they do indeed have
additional information from the link I posted, but it is
not apparent that is so. Can you shed any light on why
this other forum decided that the kids did something
illegal?

To the best of my knowledge the following city codes apply.

City Code 38-3, primarily section (d) “ Notwithstanding any
other provisions of this section, it shall be unlawful for any
person to discharge any firearm, spring-propelled rifle or
pistol, from, on, across or within one hundred fifty (150)
yards of any building, dwelling, street, sidewalk, alley,
roadway or public land or public place within the city
limits.”

And

Section (f) “No person shall use a pneumatic gun in the area
of the city described in (a) above except (i) at approved
shooting ranges or (ii) on or within private property with
permission of the owner or legal possessor thereof when
conducted with reasonable care to prevent a projectile from
crossing the bounds of the property. For purposes of this
subsection, "pneumatic gun" means any implement designed as a
gun that will expel a BB or a pellet by action of pneumatic
pressure, including but not limited to paintball guns.
Further, for the purpose of this subsection "reasonable care"
means that the pneumatic gun is discharged in a manner so the
projectile is contained on the property by a backstop, earthen
embankment or fence. The discharge of projectiles across or
over the bounds of the property shall create the rebuttable
presumption that the use of the pneumatic gun was not
conducted with reasonable care and shall constitute a Class 3
misdemeanor. “

When he shot something other than a target it was illegal.

Again, I don't condone the school becoming involved, they are
completely out of their jurisdiction. The subject of the
original post was dead on, it's out of control and has been
for a long time. We're on the same side here I'm just pointing
out what I believe to be facts.

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 23:06:56 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
No Dave - click the link. The kid did not take the gun to school.
Nor to the bus stop which was some 70 yards away. No such threats
were reported or even infered in the school's position. The risk is
when we begin to allow that some things "may" have happened, which
were clearly reported to have been investigated, and did not. Don't
fall into the trap of trying to excuse the actions of the school.
There is just no such evidence and in fact - many/most of these
ideas were covered in the link provided.

Yes, I did read it, ALL of it and I know exactly what it said. And,
like I stated, up to this point, we have that one report to go on.
It's very possible that report is completely accurate, but it's just
as possible, in fact just as likely that there's more factual
information to appear in this matter.

I am agreeing with you that one report is far from conclusive.

As several people have stated and something with which I fully agree,
information reporting agencies have a very great tendency to
sensationalize what they report. Neither of us have any proof to the
contrary. I could be wrong, but I fully expect there's more
information to come forth in this particular incident. Let's just see
what appears.

Again - I agree.

I do agree with the fact that there appears to be many people and
organizations reacting unreasonably with the gun controversy in
America. But, what do you expect? There appears to be so many random
and unreasonable acts of gun violence, the general public should be
concerned. How can you expect them to act otherwise?

I guess because I'd like to see more logic applied to problems than knee
jerk emotion.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Various people wrote:
Back when I was a kid we never used knives or guns on people we were
****ed off at. We used the time old tradition of beating the ****
out of each other and then being best friends afterwards.

And, that was my world growing up too. Unfortunately, for whatever
reason, it's not that way anymore.

I don't know when you guys were kids, but the murder and violent crime rate has been declining for more than 20 years.

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/28/2013 8:35 PM, Larry wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

I'd have a problem with a school principal sticking his
nose into my business this way...

http://www.infowars.com/seventh-grad...ded-for-nine-m
onths-for-playing-with-toy-gun-at-home/

And, the nosy neighbor as well...

You gotta watch out for infowars.com and make sure you have the
full story. There was discussion of this on another forum I
frequent. While I don't agree with the 9 month suspension, he
broke the law. City code bans the use of BB and pellet guns
within the city limit.

Again, I don't agree with suspension and am not siding with the
decision, in fact I vehemently disagree with it and agree with
most of what has been posted, but the use of such "toys" was
clearly banned in city code.

Larry

An airsoft gun is neither bb or pellet. Its a plastic ball.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 22:11:32 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 09:34:04 -0700 (PDT), RP wrote:
Back when I was a kid we never used knives or guns on people we were
****ed off at. We used the time old tradition of beating the ****
out of each other and then being best friends afterwards.

And, that was my world growing up too. Unfortunately, for whatever
reason, it's not that way anymore. There's a lot of advantages in
today's society, but there seems to be just as many problems with it
too. Guess that's the status quo.

What "advantages"?

Well, I'm not so sure how much I agree Dave. I do agree that our current
society is subject to irrational and extreme acts by mentally disturbed
people, gangs, and the like (outside of normal, legal practices), but
notwithstanding that issue, the general use of guns, safe handling,
self-control, is very much alive in our current society. Then again, those
who defy those attributes do seem to be finding their way into notoriety
more today than they ever have in the past. So - I'm not really sure if I
disagree, or not...

I don't agree at all. These acts have been going on since there has
been man. The difference is that now we have a press that is just as
blood thirsty as those who watch them. Blood a gore sells. People
are rooting for the lions.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 29 Sep 2013 16:19:37 -0400, "dadiOH"
There is no doubt that technical things like those - and many others - have
improved. It's the social and ethical aspects that have changed to the
detriment of everyone.

Quite possibly. But, I think many would disagree with you. When I was
a kid, like many others, I went through a great degree of hell from
being bullied. Then when I put on some size and weight, I in turn
became a bully for a period. It was a learned behaviour and one which
I fully regret.

There never was any type of program or attempt to eliminate bullying
when I was a kid. Now, at least there's awareness of it and an attempt
to curb much of it. Much can be said for other many other social
actions these days. Sure, these programs may not be working as well as
could be hoped, but that doesn't mean it's a completely wasted effort.

a trailer full of Stuff, Stuff, more stuff, and even more stuff was Ping Karl! pyotr filipivich Metalworking 0 May 30th 12 06:35 PM
god stuff Jack Handey Metalworking 0 July 26th 08 03:27 PM
dbx/ hx pro stuff [email protected] Electronics Repair 6 June 16th 07 04:31 PM
FS in Alachua/Gainesville FL: huge volume shop stuff, tools supplieshardwares, other "guy stuff", 1, some, or all - PICKUP preferred dave Woodworking 0 January 30th 07 04:31 PM
Are the cable bills in your area getting rediculous? Switch to Satellite TV for free. Tonya S. Home Ownership 2 April 1st 04 04:59 AM