Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Air-hose fittings - which style?

Anyone familiar with the proper terminology for NPT fittings for air-hoses? I want to replace some and I want the right style. I don't really like the ones you have to shove the tool into and it automatically locks. I like the ones where you slide back the sleeve to connect as well as disconnect. Does this make any sense to anyone but me?
JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 18 May 2013 11:53:20 -0700 (PDT), JayPique
wrote:

I don't really like the ones you have to shove the tool into and it automatically locks. I like the ones where you slide back the sleeve to connect as well as disconnect.
Does this make any sense to anyone but me?

Yes.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...set-68237.html

or

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...set-68192.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

JayPique wrote:
Anyone familiar with the proper terminology for NPT fittings for air-hoses? I want to replace some and I want the right style. I don't really like the ones you have to shove the tool into and it automatically locks. I like the ones where you slide back the sleeve to connect as well as disconnect. Does this make any sense to anyone but me?
JP

I just take one of my (male) fitting to my home owned auto supply
place and try it to see which one it fits. My brother changed to the
push in type and likes them. They do have a style number but I can
never remember which is which.

--
 GW Ross

 Without Time, everything would happen
 at once.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I don't really like the ones you have to shove the tool into and it automatically
locks. I like the ones where you slide back the sleeve to connect as well as
disconnect.
Does this make any sense to anyone but me?

Yes.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...set-68237.html

or

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...set-68192.html

I've had problems with the HF brass fittings. They have **** poor tolerances and
many
of them will not mate with the fittings I have from non-HF sources. I've had no
problems
with the HF silver colored fittings.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I don't really like the ones you have to shove the tool into and it automatically locks. I like the ones where you slide back the sleeve to connect as well as disconnect.
Does this make any sense to anyone but me?

Yes.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...set-68237.html

or

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...set-68192.html

Of the two I'd opt for the brass fittings to avoid corrosion.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/18/2013 1:53 PM, JayPique wrote:
Anyone familiar with the proper terminology for NPT fittings for air-hoses? I want to replace some and I want the right style. I don't really like the ones you have to shove the tool into and it automatically locks. I like the ones where you slide back the sleeve to connect as well as disconnect. Does this make any sense to anyone but me?
JP

Go with Milton brand fittings. I can't say that I have seen one that
was not easier to couple by pulling back the sleeve. One thing to watch
for is one with a guard which prevents the fitting from uncoupling if
you drag it around a corner.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, May 18, 2013 5:15:11 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 5/18/2013 1:53 PM, JayPique wrote: I like the ones where you slide back the sleeve to connect as well as disconnect.

Go with Milton brand fittings. I can't say that I have seen one that was not easier to couple by pulling back the sleeve. One thing to watch for is one with a guard which prevents the fitting from uncoupling if you drag it around a corner.

About 2 yrs ago, I complained about my half dozen couplers leaking like hell, purchased from HF, Lowes, Home Depot... all were cheaply priced, appropriate for their quality.

I think it was Leon who recommended Milton couplers, back then. I vote Milton brand.

Sonny

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Go with Milton brand fittings. I can't say that I have seen one that
was not easier to couple by pulling back the sleeve. One thing to
watch for is one with a guard which prevents the fitting from
uncoupling if you drag it around a corner.

Echo the Milton fittings. I have some, but not all of mine are Milton. I
don't have any with the guard, but I've never had a fitting uncouple
dragging an airhose around a corner, so I probably wouldn't look for it
myself. I have had the cheaper couplers suddenly uncouple. Imagine spray
painting a car and half way through a coat, the damned hose uncouples for no
explanable reason! I check every coupling when I make it, with a good tug
so it isn't like I don't pay attention to this stuff.

Avoid the universal couplers from Home Depot and Lowes, at all cost! Pure
junk! They will blow off the coupling with no notice, wear out very
quickly, and often give you quite a fight just to make the coupling. For
those who have them and like them, God Bless Ya, but one of those will never
grace my garage again.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I like the ones where you slide back the sleeve to connect as well as disconnect. Does this make any sense to anyone but me?
JP

Uncircumcised fittings?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I like the ones where you slide back the sleeve to connect as well
as disconnect. Does this make any sense to anyone but me? JP

I prefer the ones you simply push together, and only pull back on the colar
to uncouple. When you have to change tools a lot, you grow to appreciate
this. I hate to have to pull back the colar to simply couple a connection.
With a good quality coupler, you should be able to simply push together and
go.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I like the ones where you slide back the sleeve to connect as well as disconnect. Does this make any sense to anyone but me?

JP

Uncircumcised fittings?

snort Nice. Thanks, all, for the replies. I'm headed to check out milton's products now.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"JayPique" wrote:

Anyone familiar with the proper terminology for NPT fittings for
air-hoses?
Back in the days when I was employed in the R&D department of a
major manufacturer of these devices, they referred to them as
"Quick connect couplings".

They held the patent for the quick connect coupling, but also offered
the ball
lock device to be competitive.

The "Ball lock" was developed as a way to get around the quick connect
coupling patent.
I want to replace some and I want the right style. I don't really
like the ones you have to shove the tool into and it automatically
locks. I like the ones where you slide back the sleeve to connect
as well as disconnect. Does this make any sense to anyone but me?

Sounds like you prefer the "Ball lock" style coupling.

Be aware that there are at least 2 different plug profiles, and they
are NOT
interchangeable.

Take the plug style you like with you when you go shopping.

As mentioned, Milton has been around for a long time.

Good luck.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/18/2013 6:13 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

Go with Milton brand fittings. I can't say that I have seen one that
was not easier to couple by pulling back the sleeve. One thing to
watch for is one with a guard which prevents the fitting from
uncoupling if you drag it around a corner.

Echo the Milton fittings. I have some, but not all of mine are Milton. I
don't have any with the guard, but I've never had a fitting uncouple
dragging an airhose around a corner, so I probably wouldn't look for it
myself.

Not dragging the air hose around a corner, dragging the coupling around
a corner. The coupling with a guard simply has a flat washer like
attachment at the opening of the fitting. If yu drag the unguarded
fitting around a corner it can catch on the slide and pull it back, and
uncouple the fitting. The guard, prevents a corner from pushing the
slide back. Normally not a tough item to find just something to be
aware of if you link more than one hose together.

I have had the cheaper couplers suddenly uncouple. Imagine spray
painting a car and half way through a coat, the damned hose uncouples for no
explanable reason! I check every coupling when I make it, with a good tug
so it isn't like I don't pay attention to this stuff.

Maybe the slide was unguarded. ;~) Sometimes just dragging an
unguarded coupling along the floor will uncouple the fitting.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I like the ones where you slide back the sleeve to
connect as well
as disconnect. Does this make any sense to anyone but
me? JP

Uncircumcised fittings?

only you Ed, only you would go there
LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 5/18/2013 6:13 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

I have had the cheaper couplers suddenly uncouple. Imagine spray
painting a car and half way through a coat, the damned hose
uncouples for no explanable reason! I check every coupling when I
make it, with a good tug so it isn't like I don't pay attention to
this stuff.

Maybe the slide was unguarded. ;~) Sometimes just dragging an
unguarded coupling along the floor will uncouple the fitting.

Not in this particular case. My hose length from the gun to a point about 5
or 6 feet back, never sees the floor while I'm shooting. Contaminates and
all that. It's always either simply suspended by the height of the gun off
the floor (the height of what I'm shooting, or it is held up by my free hand
or draped over my shoulder. My gun gets uncoupled after every coat, before
I put it in the stand, and the hose is draped to keep it off the floor.
That's where good couplers come into play - they have to withstand repeated
use, and make a solid coupling.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/18/2013 2:53 PM, JayPique wrote:
Anyone familiar with the proper terminology for NPT fittings for air-hoses? I want to replace some and I want the right style. I don't really like the ones you have to shove the tool into and it automatically locks. I like the ones where you slide back the sleeve to connect as well as disconnect. Does this make any sense to anyone but me?
JP

Really, I just got rid of the type where you have to pull back the sleeve.

Just make sure you get the Universal style so you can work both type of
connectors.. same price 2 styles.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I don't really like the ones you have to shove the tool into and it automatically
locks. I like the ones where you slide back the sleeve to connect as well as
disconnect.
Does this make any sense to anyone but me?

Yes.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...set-68237.html

or

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...set-68192.html

I've had problems with the HF brass fittings. They have **** poor tolerances and
many
of them will not mate with the fittings I have from non-HF sources. I've had no
problems
with the HF silver colored fittings.
Art

I have replaced my HF connectors with Home depot connectors cheaper and
they seal better. Don't get me wrong the HF are good units for the
pieces that fit on the tool, but I found that the HD units are what I
needed for a better seal, and cheaper price.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

I have replaced my HF connectors with Home depot connectors cheaper
and they seal better. Don't get me wrong the HF are good units for the
pieces that fit on the tool, but I found that the HD units are what I
needed for a better seal, and cheaper price.

Hey Jeff - I don't know how much you use your stuff, so I can't speak to
your experience. My experience is that I use my air tools a lot - a very
lot. I have come to hate those HD connectors. I'll never buy another one
there again.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/19/2013 6:52 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
woodchucker wrote:

I have replaced my HF connectors with Home depot connectors cheaper
and they seal better. Don't get me wrong the HF are good units for the
pieces that fit on the tool, but I found that the HD units are what I
needed for a better seal, and cheaper price.

Hey Jeff - I don't know how much you use your stuff, so I can't speak to
your experience. My experience is that I use my air tools a lot - a very
lot. I have come to hate those HD connectors. I'll never buy another one
there again.

I just bought them a couple of months ago.

Long ago I had industrial couplers that I got at a machine shop supply.
Could not find it where I live here. Nothing matched.

I switched over the HF units. They were good. But for some reason the
female in my garage always leaked... even replacing them a few times.

I wanted the type that are ready to connect rather than pull the sleeve
back. I bought about 5 to 7 at HD.. so far so good.. I hate the idea of
replacing them again..

My problem is the Milton connector you all talk about doesn't match any
of my male connectors. So I would wind up replacing them all, and that's
a lot of connectors...I have one Milton that I bought long, long ago.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

My problem is the Milton connector you all talk about doesn't match
any of my male connectors. So I would wind up replacing them all, and
that's a lot of connectors...

I understand that problem. Sometimes ya just have to bite the bullet...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

My problem is the Milton connector you all talk about doesn't match
any of my male connectors. So I would wind up replacing them all,
and
that's a lot of connectors...

So what are we talking about?

20, maybe 30 plugs at a cost of less than $2.00 each?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
woodchucker wrote:

My problem is the Milton connector you all talk about doesn't match
any of my male connectors. So I would wind up replacing them all,
and
that's a lot of connectors...

So what are we talking about?

20, maybe 30 plugs at a cost of less than $2.00 each?

Actually, I bet most home shops have less than that. I'd have to really
think about how many I have, and I'd bet I have more air tools than most
here, but I'd bet it's under 30 connectors for me.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I like the ones where you slide back the sleeve to
connect as well
as disconnect. Does this make any sense to anyone but
me? JP

Uncircumcised fittings?

only you Ed, only you would go there

Er, no, he's not the only one. I once had the (blonde) wife of a customer
ask me: "Say, I just saw the market next door advertising "Kosher" chickens.
What makes a chicken kosher anyway?"

"It's been circumcised," I replied.

"Oh," she said.

--------
Question for your doctor: "Say, doc, do you know how to circumcise a whale?"

Usual answer: "Er, no, I don't think so..."

Actual answer: "Well, you start with four skin divers..."

--------
I got a million of 'em, a million of 'em.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Actually, I bet most home shops have less than that. I'd have to
really think about how many I have, and I'd bet I have more air
tools than most here, but I'd bet it's under 30 connectors for me.

Precisley.

Lew

http://www.amazon.com/Milton-industr...dp/B005IUEC2O/

5.96 for 8 males and 2 females, "M" style.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Actually, I bet most home shops have less than that. I'd have to
really think about how many I have, and I'd bet I have more air
tools than most here, but I'd bet it's under 30 connectors for me.

Precisley.

Lew

http://www.amazon.com/Milton-industr...dp/B005IUEC2O/

5.96 for 8 males and 2 females, "M" style.

Damn nice price.
Thanks.
I will look for the type that has the sleeve already retracted until
connected.. but that's a good price.
As the current HD version fails I'll replace with these.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/20/2013 6:55 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
woodchucker wrote:

My problem is the Milton connector you all talk about doesn't match
any of my male connectors. So I would wind up replacing them all,
and
that's a lot of connectors...

So what are we talking about?

20, maybe 30 plugs at a cost of less than $2.00 each?

Actually, I bet most home shops have less than that. I'd have to really
think about how many I have, and I'd bet I have more air tools than most
here, but I'd bet it's under 30 connectors for me.

I think I am somewhere in that neighborhood.

Impact wrenches (2)
air hammer
air rachet
air grease lube gun.
air brake bleader.
8 spray guns.
6 air brushes.
5 air nailers

1 inline filter for at the gun location (2 connectors 1 male 1 female )
1 air dryer (inline)
4 inline regulators, using 2 connectors (yea I have other regulators
with separators on compressor and hose reel, but this allows close qtr
adjustment.
6 blow guns
1 sandblaster.
3 air chucks
about 6 hoses (2 connectors)

I am sure I have a few other air tools that I haven't even considered.
so I am pushing 40 maybe.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

I think I am somewhere in that neighborhood.

Impact wrenches (2)
air hammer
air rachet
air grease lube gun.
air brake bleader.
8 spray guns.

8 Spray guns? Holy **** man! That's lot of guns to have on the line. I
have parts enough for 8 but I only have 6 at the ready. Sheese - who would
have 8?...

6 air brushes.

I wish I knew what to do with an air brush. Alas...

5 air nailers

Holy cow! I can only lay claim to one.

1 inline filter for at the gun location (2 connectors 1 male 1 female
) 1 air dryer (inline)

I don't count these since they don't get "used" except to reconfigure
something. I consider them to be more of a fixed fitting.

4 inline regulators, using 2 connectors (yea I have other regulators
with separators on compressor and hose reel, but this allows close qtr
adjustment.

Holy **** again! I gotta see some pictures of your setup.

6 blow guns
1 sandblaster.
3 air chucks

Good thing you mentioned that. I hadn't thought about the small stuff like
that - got stuck in the mindset of thinking tools.

about 6 hoses (2 connectors)

Same as previous comment.

So..... no needle scaler? Come on - you can't be serious... No DA's, air
grinders, air boards?

I am sure I have a few other air tools that I haven't even considered.
so I am pushing 40 maybe.

I suspect I may be too now that you caused me to think of other things.

But - I still suspect we're on the high side compared to most here.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/20/2013 10:23 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
woodchucker wrote:

I think I am somewhere in that neighborhood.

Impact wrenches (2)
air hammer
air rachet
air grease lube gun.
air brake bleader.
8 spray guns.

8 Spray guns? Holy **** man! That's lot of guns to have on the line. I
have parts enough for 8 but I only have 6 at the ready. Sheese - who would
have 8?...

They are not on the line all at once. just have connectors.
At most I use 2-3 at a time. Mostly one at time.
I don't use my Binks touchup, cheap touchup, or large Devilbis sprayer
any longer.

I have gone to the gravity feed since they are nice to work with. No
spitting when you get low. Having more than 2 allows you to load
different colors or dye, topcoat and not have to clean between. Most
everything except catalyzed stuff can survive a few days in a gun, as
long as there is enough in the gun and it will cleanup after use.

6 air brushes.

I wish I knew what to do with an air brush. Alas...

5 air nailers

Holy cow! I can only lay claim to one.

1 inline filter for at the gun location (2 connectors 1 male 1 female
) 1 air dryer (inline)

I don't count these since they don't get "used" except to reconfigure
something. I consider them to be more of a fixed fitting.

I only use it for when I run the compressor long... over and over, I
don't trust the separator totally, so I can attach it between my heavy
line and what I call my gun line (really nice braided hose that is super
light and nice to spray with) I put an inline filter right by the gun as
the final catch.

4 inline regulators, using 2 connectors (yea I have other regulators
with separators on compressor and hose reel, but this allows close qtr
adjustment.

Holy **** again! I gotta see some pictures of your setup.

The regulators are plug and play, meaning that I put them at the tool
when needed. Otherwise I have the compressor side, but that can be in
the basement while I'm in the garage, or 45 feet away in the basement.
I have 3 drops in the power tool area, 1 in the hand tool shop, 2 in the
storage area, and one in the garage.

6 blow guns
1 sandblaster.
3 air chucks

Good thing you mentioned that. I hadn't thought about the small stuff like
that - got stuck in the mindset of thinking tools.

about 6 hoses (2 connectors)

Same as previous comment.

So..... no needle scaler? Come on - you can't be serious... No DA's, air
grinders, air boards?

With the welder I could use a scaler.. also to clean off rust when I
rebuild equipment.. thinking about it. Probably would be good on the
compressor I am rebuilding. So far $16 in bearings is all that I am in
for...

I am sure I have a few other air tools that I haven't even considered.
so I am pushing 40 maybe.

I suspect I may be too now that you caused me to think of other things.

But - I still suspect we're on the high side compared to most here.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

They are not on the line all at once. just have connectors.
At most I use 2-3 at a time. Mostly one at time.
I don't use my Binks touchup, cheap touchup, or large Devilbis sprayer
any longer.

I still use my Binks and my Binks 1500 touch up gun for primers. Those
Binks guns will shoot coal tar straight from the pit. As well, if I have to
shoot Rustoleum straight from the can. Sometimes you just can't beat a
Binks...

I have gone to the gravity feed since they are nice to work with. No
spitting when you get low. Having more than 2 allows you to load
different colors or dye, topcoat and not have to clean between. Most
everything except catalyzed stuff can survive a few days in a gun, as
long as there is enough in the gun and it will cleanup after use.

Gravity feed is so much better than suction. Most of my spraying is
catalyzed so I'm in a different league than you are.

I only use it for when I run the compressor long... over and over, I
don't trust the separator totally, so I can attach it between my heavy
line and what I call my gun line (really nice braided hose that is
super light and nice to spray with) I put an inline filter right by
the gun as the final catch.

I just use one moisture trap in the compressor line (just ahead of the
reel), and then for my spray guns, a bulb at each gun. For the rest of my
air tools - I don't bother at the tool end, beyond the trap in the
compressor line.

The regulators are plug and play, meaning that I put them at the tool
when needed. Otherwise I have the compressor side, but that can be in
the basement while I'm in the garage, or 45 feet away in the basement.
I have 3 drops in the power tool area, 1 in the hand tool shop, 2 in
the storage area, and one in the garage.

I keep a regulator on each of my spray guns and a couple of other tools (not
previously mentioned... I have two pnuematic chinking guns which each have a
regulator attached to them). The rest of my air tools do not have
regulators attached to them - no need.

With the welder I could use a scaler.. also to clean off rust when I
rebuild equipment.. thinking about it. Probably would be good on the
compressor I am rebuilding. So far $16 in bearings is all that I am in
for...

I swear by my needle scaler. I think I paid somewhere around $35 for it at
Harbor Freight and it has performed flawlessly since the day I bought it.
That tool has been put through its paces enough to know that it was a tool
well worth buying at HF.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/20/2013 11:45 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Gravity feed is so much better than suction. Most of my spraying is
catalyzed so I'm in a different league than you are.

I used to spray Imron and Epoxy , what are you spraying that is
catalyzed? Do you have a full respirator (pump, hose, scott pack type mask)?

The stuff was definitely a harder than any other.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
On 5/20/2013 11:45 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Gravity feed is so much better than suction. Most of my spraying is
catalyzed so I'm in a different league than you are.

I used to spray Imron and Epoxy , what are you spraying that is
catalyzed? Do you have a full respirator (pump, hose, scott pack type
mask)?

The stuff was definitely a harder than any other.

I spray a lot of automotive paints. Yes - I have a positive pressure helmet
system.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

JayPique wrote:
Anyone familiar with the proper terminology for NPT fittings for air-hoses? I want to replace some and I want the right style. I don't really like the ones you have to shove the tool into and it automatically locks. I like the ones where you slide back the sleeve to connect as well as disconnect. Does this make any sense to anyone but me?
JP

Have a look at a lot of air tools and pick the type that the majority
come with.
Posted to rec.woodworking

F Murtz wrote:
JayPique wrote:
Anyone familiar with the proper terminology for NPT fittings for
air-hoses? I want to replace some and I want the right style. I
don't really like the ones you have to shove the tool into and it
automatically locks. I like the ones where you slide back the
sleeve to connect as well as disconnect. Does this make any sense
to anyone but me? JP

Have a look at a lot of air tools and pick the type that the majority
come with.

Or the type that your neighbor has...

--

-Mike-