Posted to alt.home.repair

Default water hose fittings

It's spring and time to get the water hoses set up. My goal is not to
have to replace everything every year.

I've had good luck so far with the Vigoro manifolds with the individual
shutoff valves. So I bought a Vigoro solid brass nozzle (the kind you
twist that goes from off, to wide to narrow). No control over amount,
but I think dependable. All the other nozzles I've had develop some kind
of a problem.

I've wanted to put in the quick connects so I bought a package from HF.
They leak, a lot. I also note that there are quick disconnects that also
shut off, these don't.

I'm trying a Flexon licensed (made in US) water hose. It's only a 25
footer 1/2", but I like it a lot so far. $13 from the Borg. Guaranteed
for life and drinking water safe.

One of the HD hoses from last year is swelling at all the old kinks
and has hit the trash. The ancient rubber is still good.

What isn't junk and where do you buy it?

Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Thies wrote:
[...]

The Nelson quick connects have worked well for me for many years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 22, 6:50*am, "Bob F" wrote:
Jeff Thies wrote:
[...]

Where do oyu live? My hoses in SoCal last for years (more than 10
easily)

If you a garden hose mini ball valve ahead of your nozzle, that will
give you flow control.

Ditto on Bob F's comment..... I used Nelson's, Mennor's and Gilmour

all worked great, lasted a LONG time...... I just point Ace knockoff
replacement rubber seals ~$1 ea (pks of three!?).

The major suppliers (with shipping) the seals were like $3 ea.

The stuff at HF mostly sucks (HD is barely better)...... why waste
your time with HF?

OT HomeDepot sells some really cool looking solidly machined hose
repair fittings (Vigoro for HD), they even come with a nice SS hose
clamp.
The look great until you look closer..... they are NOT brass but gold
anodized aluminum.

They are sold a mid-range / premium price and are clearly meant to
deceive the buyer.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
DD_BobK wrote:

OT HomeDepot sells some really cool looking solidly machined hose
repair fittings (Vigoro for HD), they even come with a nice SS hose
clamp.
The look great until you look closer..... they are NOT brass but gold
anodized aluminum.

Why do people get all worked up over brass? There isn't anything
esoteric about it. It's just cheap pot metal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/22/2011 11:15 AM, DD_BobK wrote:
On Mar 22, 6:50 am, "Bob wrote:
Jeff Thies wrote:

snip

What isn't junk and where do you buy it?

The Nelson quick connects have worked well for me for many years.

I'll hunt them.

Where do oyu live? My hoses in SoCal last for years (more than 10
easily)

Atlanta.

If you a garden hose mini ball valve ahead of your nozzle, that will
give you flow control.

Ditto on Bob F's comment..... I used Nelson's, Mennor's and Gilmour

all worked great, lasted a LONG time...... I just point Ace knockoff
replacement rubber seals ~$1 ea (pks of three!?).

The major suppliers (with shipping) the seals were like $3 ea.

The stuff at HF mostly sucks (HD is barely better)...... why waste
your time with HF?

It's popular in this group! I was there picking up paint stripping
discs. $7. As good if not a little thicker than the name brands
elsewhere for $10 and up.

The HF connectors are beautifully machined brass. It looks like it seals
on the rubber hose gasket, or rather doesn't.

OT HomeDepot sells some really cool looking solidly machined hose
repair fittings (Vigoro for HD), they even come with a nice SS hose
clamp.
The look great until you look closer..... they are NOT brass but gold
anodized aluminum.

Figures. I'll have to look closer. My problem, which is common
particularly in HDs home town, is that there is always one close. Close
enough I can drive home with stuff that shouldn't be loaded in a car.

They are sold a mid-range / premium price and are clearly meant to
deceive the buyer.

Everything there seems to be sold on profit margin and not quality. Not
that there isn't good stuff there, but you have to wade through the
junk. And you may not get there.

Jeff

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Smitty Two wrote:

In article
,
DD_BobK wrote:

OT HomeDepot sells some really cool looking solidly machined hose
repair fittings (Vigoro for HD), they even come with a nice SS hose
clamp.
The look great until you look closer..... they are NOT brass but gold
anodized aluminum.

Why do people get all worked up over brass? There isn't anything
esoteric about it. It's just cheap pot metal.

Brass is Brass, and Pot Metal is Pot Metal.

Real well machined Brass hose fittings are durable, work well, and last
for generations, as opposed to maybe a leaky season or two for the rest.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Quick disconnects reduce flow dramatically I dont like them
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:
Quick disconnects reduce flow dramatically I dont like them

Not the ones I use. The opening on them is close to 1/2", which is way larger
than any sprinkler or nozzle I have.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Brass is Brass, and Pot Metal is Pot Metal.

Let's see what wikipedia sez, paraphrased:

Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, in varying proportions. Aluminum
and lead are sometimes added. It is soft and easy to cast. 90% of brass
is recycled (hard to know what's in there then, eh?)

Pot metal is a slang term that refers to alloys that are soft and easy
to cast, and for which there is no specific metallurgical formula.
Common ingredients include zinc, copper, lead, aluminum. Uh, remember
those from the preceding paragraph?

I stand by my assertion that brass ain't so almighty special as many
seem to think.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 22, 8:29*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

*DD_BobK wrote:
OT HomeDepot sells some really cool looking solidly machined hose
repair fittings (Vigoro for HD), they even come with a nice SS hose
clamp.
The look great until you look closer..... they are NOT brass but gold
anodized aluminum. *

Why do people get all worked up over brass? There isn't anything
esoteric about it. It's just cheap pot metal.

Why do people get all worked up over brass? There isn't anything

esoteric about it. It's just cheap pot metal.

Surely you're joking or misinformed.
Machined brass (not formed brass tube) is one of the best materials &
manufacturing methods for garden hose fittings.

I have re-usable brass hose ends that are over 30 years old,
the aluminum ones from HD would be lucky to last 5 in the same service
environment.

In this application anodized aluminum is a joke and a ripoff.

I've got red brass sprinkler valves that are nearly 50 years old.....a
few are on their second actuator replacement.

btw Brass is not "pot metal"; "pot metal" typically refers to alloys
that are predominately zinc; low melting temp, great for die cast
junk.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 22, 7:43*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
Brass is Brass, and Pot Metal is Pot Metal.

Let's see what wikipedia sez, paraphrased:

Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, in varying proportions. Aluminum
and lead are sometimes added. It is soft and easy to cast. 90% of brass
is recycled (hard to know what's in there then, eh?)

Pot metal is a slang term that refers to alloys that are soft and easy
to cast, and for which there is no specific metallurgical formula.
Common ingredients include zinc, copper, lead, aluminum. Uh, remember
those from the preceding paragraph?

I stand by my assertion that brass ain't so almighty special as many
seem to think.

I stand by my assertion that brass ain't so almighty special as many

seem to think.

Too bad...you're still wrong & misinformed.

The performance of an alloy is determined not only by the constituents
but on the percentages (& relative % as well) of each.

So by your assertion all concrete mixes must be the same?
They must be..... since they have the same materials; cement, sand,
gravel & water

Hardly.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 22, 7:43*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
Brass is Brass, and Pot Metal is Pot Metal.

Let's see what wikipedia sez, paraphrased:

Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, in varying proportions. Aluminum
and lead are sometimes added. It is soft and easy to cast. 90% of brass
is recycled (hard to know what's in there then, eh?)

Pot metal is a slang term that refers to alloys that are soft and easy
to cast, and for which there is no specific metallurgical formula.
Common ingredients include zinc, copper, lead, aluminum. Uh, remember
those from the preceding paragraph?

I stand by my assertion that brass ain't so almighty special as many
seem to think.

90% of brass is recycled (hard to know what's in there then, eh?)

Gosh, I wonder if that's why metallurgical analysis is so important?

Alloy batches can be adjusted so that the finished material meets
desired specs.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 22, 10:43*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
Brass is Brass, and Pot Metal is Pot Metal.

Let's see what wikipedia sez, paraphrased:

Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, in varying proportions. Aluminum
and lead are sometimes added. It is soft and easy to cast. 90% of brass
is recycled (hard to know what's in there then, eh?)

Pot metal is a slang term that refers to alloys that are soft and easy
to cast, and for which there is no specific metallurgical formula.
Common ingredients include zinc, copper, lead, aluminum. Uh, remember
those from the preceding paragraph?

I stand by my assertion that brass ain't so almighty special as many
seem to think.

From that last statement it is clear that you have never owned a boat,
never owned a really old home and are simply making an ass-ertion out
of yourself.

Remember the days when you could disparage any polymer by simply
saying, "Yabbut, it's plastic!" and that'd be the death knell for that
item in most people's minds. That's what you're attempting to do with
the pot metal jibe. Unfortunately for your ass-ertion, brass, and
it's at times indistinguishable cousin bronze, are simply wonder
materials.

I find it curious that you have so little faith in the war machines of
every fecking country on Earth. When war time hits, brass is what's
needed. That held in the 16th century and it still holds true today.
Pretty amazing for pot metal, eh?

While we're on the historical/hysterical version of metallurgy let's
take a little quiz. Remember the Bronze Age and how the Iron Age came
after it? Why do you think that was? Was iron superior to bronze for
metallurgical reasons?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/23/2011 3:36 AM, RicodJour wrote:
On Mar 22, 10:43 pm, Smitty wrote:
Brass is Brass, and Pot Metal is Pot Metal.

snip

While we're on the historical/hysterical version of metallurgy let's
take a little quiz. Remember the Bronze Age and how the Iron Age came
after it? Why do you think that was? Was iron superior to bronze for
metallurgical reasons?

Yes. It is stronger, much stronger and harder. Iron, in it's steel form
that is, cuts through brass. The civilizations that had "iron" weapons
defeated those with brass.

Iron smelting came late, and then the hardening to near steel required
technical advances and innovations.

Something he

http://www.ehow.com/about_4672377_iron-age-weapons.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smelting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Age

I disagree not one bit about the usefulness of brass in warfare and
elsewhere.

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 23, 6:30*am, Jeff Thies wrote:
On 3/23/2011 3:36 AM, RicodJour wrote:

While we're on the historical/hysterical version of metallurgy let's
take a little quiz. *Remember the Bronze Age and how the Iron Age came
after it? *Why do you think that was? *Was iron superior to bronze for
metallurgical reasons?

Yes. It is stronger, much stronger and harder. Iron, in it's steel form
that is, cuts through brass. The civilizations that had "iron" weapons
defeated those with brass.

That is simply not so.
Addressing the hardness issue:
http://books.google.com/books?id=RH2...onze &f=false
Interesting that, about the hardness of hammered bronze. It's safe to
assume that the Bronze Age people had hammers, right?

Addressing the availability and reason for the switchover:
This thread gives a reasonable overview with most points of view
represented, and it settles down to what is generally accepted.
http://community.discovery.com/eve/f...8/m/8341988559

Difficulties and expense in obtaining raw materials was the main
reason for the transition from bronze to iron, not the inherent
superiority of a slightly harder metal that was much more problematic
to work, albeit more abundant.

Iron smelting came late, and then the hardening to near steel required
technical advances and innovations.

Which means that the iron they did use was not clearly superior, only
marginally so in certain attributes. The ability to rapidly produce
weapons has always been a crucial capability in the time of war.
Casting and hammering bronze was far easier and quicker than dealing
with iron until the later technological advances you mention were
discovered.

The Iron Age was not called the Steel Age because they didn't have
steel. What you're suggesting is that since a culture had charcoal
(carbon) they had carbon fiber.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Smitty Two wrote:

Brass is Brass, and Pot Metal is Pot Metal.

Let's see what wikipedia sez, paraphrased:

Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, in varying proportions. Aluminum
and lead are sometimes added. It is soft and easy to cast. 90% of brass
is recycled (hard to know what's in there then, eh?)

Pot metal is a slang term that refers to alloys that are soft and easy
to cast, and for which there is no specific metallurgical formula.
Common ingredients include zinc, copper, lead, aluminum. Uh, remember
those from the preceding paragraph?

I stand by my assertion that brass ain't so almighty special as many
seem to think.

Hmmm... ok.

Would you be interested buying a deed to the Pacific Ocean? I only have
a few left now, and they always go quick. Better hurry!

Erik

PS, Might I suggest you you actually read both the brass and pot metal
articles in their entirety?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pot_metal

Compared to brass, pot metal is little more than a dried up, metallic
like Play-Doh substance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Play-Doh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desiccation

While we're at it, here's one for bonus points:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_sense
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Erik wrote:

In article
,
Smitty Two wrote:

Brass is Brass, and Pot Metal is Pot Metal.

Let's see what wikipedia sez, paraphrased:

Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, in varying proportions. Aluminum
and lead are sometimes added. It is soft and easy to cast. 90% of brass
is recycled (hard to know what's in there then, eh?)

Pot metal is a slang term that refers to alloys that are soft and easy
to cast, and for which there is no specific metallurgical formula.
Common ingredients include zinc, copper, lead, aluminum. Uh, remember
those from the preceding paragraph?

I stand by my assertion that brass ain't so almighty special as many
seem to think.

Hmmm... ok.

Gosh. I sure did ruffle a few feathers by dissing brass. I guess y'all
like it because it's shiny, huh? I mean, until it corrodes, which
doesn't take long.

But g'head, keep worshipping it, and I'll keep my preference for real
materials, like 303 stainless, nickel, aluminum, delrin, and, uh, wood.

In 25 years, the only thing I remember that anyone ever asked us to
machine out of brass, were triple beam balance weights. And we had to
spray those with polyurethane so they wouldn't rust on the way to the
customer. But by golly, they were Solid Brass!!!!! Wow!!!!!!

Over and out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 19:43:56 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

Brass is Brass, and Pot Metal is Pot Metal.

Let's see what wikipedia sez, paraphrased:

Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, in varying proportions. Aluminum
and lead are sometimes added. It is soft and easy to cast. 90% of brass
is recycled (hard to know what's in there then, eh?)

Pot metal is a slang term that refers to alloys that are soft and easy
to cast, and for which there is no specific metallurgical formula.
Common ingredients include zinc, copper, lead, aluminum. Uh, remember
those from the preceding paragraph?

I stand by my assertion that brass ain't so almighty special as many
seem to think.

Pot metal certainly isn't brass and certainly isn't as
durable as brass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 23, 12:14*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

*Erik wrote:
In article
,
*Smitty Two wrote:

[...]

over & out?

I guess that means you're done with the shovel.

"In 25 years, the only thing I remember that anyone ever asked us to
machine out of brass, were triple beam balance weights. "

I guess that's all the data we need....brass is crap, just like "pot
metal"

Don't confuse yourself with the facts...... we can tell you've made up
your mind.

btw you're confusing minor surface oxidation with destructive levels
of corrosion.

It's not a matter of "ruffling feathers", it's about disseminating
wrong & misleading information.

Sad to imagine but there are probably people in your offline world who
actually think you know of what you speak......

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default water hose fittings - internal corrosion?

speaking of hose fittings, i have some of those quick connect plugs that
I got at home depot.

one of the hose connections started leaking and I found that one of the
qc plug was pitted and had white deposit embeded near the entrance. can
anything be done about that?

from what I can tell of the comments, the plugs I have isn't brass, is
that right?