Posted to alt.home.repair
Erik[_5_] Erik[_5_] is offline

Default water hose fittings

In article
,
Smitty Two wrote:

Brass is Brass, and Pot Metal is Pot Metal.

Let's see what wikipedia sez, paraphrased:

Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, in varying proportions. Aluminum
and lead are sometimes added. It is soft and easy to cast. 90% of brass
is recycled (hard to know what's in there then, eh?)

Pot metal is a slang term that refers to alloys that are soft and easy
to cast, and for which there is no specific metallurgical formula.
Common ingredients include zinc, copper, lead, aluminum. Uh, remember
those from the preceding paragraph?

I stand by my assertion that brass ain't so almighty special as many
seem to think.

Hmmm... ok.

Would you be interested buying a deed to the Pacific Ocean? I only have
a few left now, and they always go quick. Better hurry!

Erik

PS, Might I suggest you you actually read both the brass and pot metal
articles in their entirety?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pot_metal

Compared to brass, pot metal is little more than a dried up, metallic
like Play-Doh substance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Play-Doh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desiccation

While we're at it, here's one for bonus points:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_sense