Posted to rec.woodworking

Default advice on router bits for cabinet doors

trying to decide whether to buy 1/4 inch rail and stile bits for my current ryobi benchtop table for door making as a hobby or to splurge and purchase 1/2 inch dewalt router 2 1/4 horsepower from lowes.

I am not sure if the dewalt will fit my table though.

This is just a hobby right now.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Is varible spped control required for 1/4 inch bits?

I am wanting to make a vanity mirror frame for my wifes bathroom and thought it would be a good project. I thought I could do raised panels on the table saw or get a 1/4 inch verticle raised panel bit.

Sorry for all the questions.

On Tuesday, March 26, 2013 8:24:47 AM UTC-5, wrote:
trying to decide whether to buy 1/4 inch rail and stile bits for my current ryobi benchtop table for door making as a hobby or to splurge and purchase 1/2 inch dewalt router 2 1/4 horsepower from lowes.

I am not sure if the dewalt will fit my table though.

This is just a hobby right now.

Posted to rec.woodworking

So is a table saw ok if not doing a arched type raised panel?

If I were to get a bigger router, how could I tell if I can make it work on my benchtop ryobi table?

Most of my tools are not great quality. I have a delta benchtop table saw from lowes, a harbor freight miter saw, a 1950's era jointer, a craftsman planer and the ryobi benchtop router and table. I wish I had better stuff....

On Tuesday, March 26, 2013 8:24:47 AM UTC-5, wrote:
trying to decide whether to buy 1/4 inch rail and stile bits for my current ryobi benchtop table for door making as a hobby or to splurge and purchase 1/2 inch dewalt router 2 1/4 horsepower from lowes.

I am not sure if the dewalt will fit my table though.

This is just a hobby right now.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

Lots of people have done very good work with tools no better than that.
Don't worry about
upgrading your tools until you find that your technique has improved to the
point that your
ability to produce better work is limited by the tools and not by your own
skills.

Good advice... another dimension I'd include in that assessment is safety.
If the material you are working with is too big for the tools you have you
may need bigger tools or another way to perform the task. For example, I
went to a heavy 8" jointer when I had my 6" jointer standing on end while
jointing long heavy stock. I went to the 3 HP shaper with it's larger table
and more power when I struggled on two jobs in a row with my 1.5 HP shaper.
It's the old "if it feels unsafe it probably is unsafe" philosophy.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in
:

These are the bits I am looking at
:
http://www.amazon.com/Matched-Rail-S...ts/dp/B008JFIZ
LO/ref=pd_cp_hi_2

However, it looks like they are over one inch. I guess I could
purchase speed controlfor my exisiting router?

At 1 5/8" diameter, I don't think that's going to be a problem. I wouldn't go larger than that
without a speed controller, or a variable-speed router, though.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/26/13 9:54 AM, wrote:
These are the bits I am looking at
:
http://www.amazon.com/Matched-Rail-S...ref=pd_cp_hi_2

However, it looks like they are over one inch. I guess I could
purchase speed controlfor my exisiting router?

The problem with a speed control unit on a weaker router is that you'll
lose horsepower, fast, when you lower the speed. I think you'd be
frustrated by how slowly it cuts.

I am not sure if the dewalt will fit my table though.

No one ever regrets getting a better router. :-)
If you're worried about the table, you could build your own, on the cheap.
Don't be intimidated by all the Cadillac router tables you see on the
internet.
You don't need all those bells and whistles to do great work.

http://mikedrums.com/bookcases.jpg
I made all the trim and molding for these book cases with my Porter
Cable router mounted to the bottom of a 1/2" sheet a melamine, which was
the top of a makeshift assembly table.
I just used the plastic base to mark the three mounting holes, then
drilled countersunk holes for the mounting screws and a bigger hole in
the center for the bits.
When I needed a fence, I cut slots in the tabletop. When I needed
feather-boards, I screwed them down directly to the table top.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
These are the bits I am looking at
:
http://www.amazon.com/Matched-Rail-S...ref=pd_cp_hi_2

However, it looks like they are over one inch. I guess I could
purchase speed controlfor my exisiting router?

There is no problem with their size. A rabbet bit is as big.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 09:28:37 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
Sorry for all the questions.

Actually woodworking questions are more than welcome.

NO, NO, NO! If he wants to ask questions here, he first has to take
part in a newsgroup wide argument ~ with cursing and swearing being a
highly desired attribute.

Where have you been Leon? Don't you know how this newsgroup works?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/26/2013 4:19 PM, Dave wrote:
On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 09:28:37 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
Sorry for all the questions.

Actually woodworking questions are more than welcome.

NO, NO, NO! If he wants to ask questions here, he first has to take
part in a newsgroup wide argument ~ with cursing and swearing being a
highly desired attribute.

Where have you been Leon? Don't you know how this newsgroup works?

I have always been some what of a closet renegade.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

So is a table saw ok if not doing a arched type raised panel?

If I were to get a bigger router, how could I tell if I can make it
work on my benchtop ryobi table?

Face that decision when you need to address it, mean while,
you have a 1/4" router that probably operates around 22-25,000 RPM.

Stick with bits that are 1" dia max and you are good to go.

As far as a router table is concerned, I've been in shops that used a
couple
of saw horses with a 36 x 36 x 3/4 piece of MDF as the table.

The fixed base of a 3 HP router was mounted to the bottom side and
they
were in business.

About as down and dirty as it gets, but it works.

Down the road, if you want to pursue the hobby, get a set of drawings
from
the NYW and build their router work station.

I built one, it was a fun project and very usefull.

Then you can spend some serious money and buy a
Milwaukee 5625, 3 HP, Router to mount in the station.

Now you have a router that will safely swing those 3" router bits.

Most of my tools are not great quality. I have a delta benchtop
table saw from lowes, a harbor freight miter saw, a 1950's era
jointer, a craftsman planer and the ryobi benchtop router and table.
I wish I had better stuff....

Don't sweat the petty stuff, we all start some place.

BTW, age does not devalue a tool.

Try some simple projects that can be built using the tools you have
at first, not including cutting bits (drill, router, etc).

If you like it, buy a new tool for the next project.

Check out WoodSmithShop on line and if you have PBS available.

They have some interesting projects and the plans are free.

Have fun.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/27/13 11:33 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
As far as a router table is concerned, I've been in shops that used a
couple of saw horses with a 36 x 36 x 3/4 piece of MDF as the table.

The fixed base of a 3 HP router was mounted to the bottom side and
they were in business.

Yep. I find that starting with minimalism and going from there helps
you rule out a bunch of crap you don't need that is generally included
in the $500+ tables you see in the catalogs.

When you do decide to buy some router-table specific doohickey it's
because you genuinely want/need it to improve upon technique you've
already acquired for using a router.

The cart goes in front of the horse with a lot of guys who buy all that
crap before ever touching a router. They think they have to use all the
bells and whistle and let that stuff dictate the what and how in their
projects.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)