Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default advice on router bits for cabinet doors

On 3/26/13 9:54 AM, wrote:
These are the bits I am looking at
:
http://www.amazon.com/Matched-Rail-S...ref=pd_cp_hi_2

However, it looks like they are over one inch. I guess I could
purchase speed controlfor my exisiting router?

The problem with a speed control unit on a weaker router is that you'll
lose horsepower, fast, when you lower the speed. I think you'd be
frustrated by how slowly it cuts.

I am not sure if the dewalt will fit my table though.

No one ever regrets getting a better router. :-)
If you're worried about the table, you could build your own, on the cheap.
Don't be intimidated by all the Cadillac router tables you see on the
internet.
You don't need all those bells and whistles to do great work.

http://mikedrums.com/bookcases.jpg
I made all the trim and molding for these book cases with my Porter
Cable router mounted to the bottom of a 1/2" sheet a melamine, which was
the top of a makeshift assembly table.
I just used the plastic base to mark the three mounting holes, then
drilled countersunk holes for the mounting screws and a bigger hole in
the center for the bits.
When I needed a fence, I cut slots in the tabletop. When I needed
feather-boards, I screwed them down directly to the table top.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--