Posted to rec.woodworking
bremen68

Default Small Router Bits.....Advice on use..

Hello...Looking to start a project that requires use of a 1/16 straight
router bit. I've never used a bit that small before and wondered what
advice you could offer besides slow and easy.

I'm going to be routing some groves into MDF board for a project and
would prefer not to find out the hard way and end up explaining to the
15th person in the hospitals ER of how I got this piece of metal
lodged..........

Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking
candysthisand that

I actually have a router attachment for my dremel tool and use the
small router bits in that. Dremel makes approx. 6 different router bit
you can use. Works great!!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave W

I have used 1/16 router bits with no problem. The only caution would be to
not feed it too fast. I work in an ER and can assure you that AT LEAST 15
people will ask how you......

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

Would it be possible for your application to use a slotting cutter in
stead of a straight bit? Might be safer, or at least less likely to
break. I know that MLCS and Porter Cable (through Amazon) have 1/16"
slot cutters.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

Not a problem with 1/4 shank in solid carbide. And you will require
solid carbide in MDF. Keep starting cuts to ~1/16 x 1/16 using small
plunger.
Problems?
See http://www.patwarner.com
(Routers)

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Andy wrote:
Would it be possible for your application to use a slotting cutter in
stead of a straight bit? Might be safer, or at least less likely to
break. I know that MLCS and Porter Cable (through Amazon) have 1/16"
slot cutters.
Andy

A slot cutter is only useful if the groove is somewhat close to an edge.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
bremen68

Don't think the slot cutter will do it. The grooves I'm looking to put
in are going to wander a bit. The project is my first attempt at a
wooden HO scale (1/64th) wooden slot car track. Middle groove for the
guide pin of the car and a shallower groove on either side for the
power rail. I'll be putting 16 ga. rebar tie wire in the outside
grooves for the power rails.

Candysthis, I have a Dremel and was wondering how it would work for
this application. I'll have to look into the router attachment for it.

Thanks for the ideas. Please feel free to add more. It's going to be
a couple of weeks before I can start.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Juergen Hannappel

"bremen68" writes:

Don't think the slot cutter will do it. The grooves I'm looking to put
in are going to wander a bit. The project is my first attempt at a
wooden HO scale (1/64th) wooden slot car track. Middle groove for the

H0 scale (the one for model railwas, yes?) is 1/87

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23
Posted to rec.woodworking
Brooks Moses

Juergen Hannappel wrote:
"bremen68" writes:
Don't think the slot cutter will do it. The grooves I'm looking to put
in are going to wander a bit. The project is my first attempt at a
wooden HO scale (1/64th) wooden slot car track. Middle groove for the

H0 scale (the one for model railwas, yes?) is 1/87

HO scale for model railways is 1/87th scale, yes.

However, HO scale for slot cars is 1/64th scale.

I'm not at all sure why this is the way it is, but it is. It's probably
something like how O scale (for model railways) in Europe is 1/43rd
scale, but O scale in the U.S. is 1/48th scale. And don't even get
started on G scale....

- Brooks

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
Brooks Moses wrote:

And don't even get
started on G scale....

Okay, I won't...but my LGB set-up has the same track width as
.....okay...I'll shut up now.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Woodchuck34

bremen68 wrote:
Don't think the slot cutter will do it. The grooves I'm looking to put
in are going to wander a bit. The project is my first attempt at a
wooden HO scale (1/64th) wooden slot car track. Middle groove for the
guide pin of the car and a shallower groove on either side for the
power rail. I'll be putting 16 ga. rebar tie wire in the outside
grooves for the power rails.

Candysthis, I have a Dremel and was wondering how it would work for
this application. I'll have to look into the router attachment for it.

Thanks for the ideas. Please feel free to add more. It's going to be
a couple of weeks before I can start.

I need to cut a very small slot in a cabinet I made after is was
assembled and decided to use my new Dremel tool. Plunged right in,
started making the slot, it kicked and sent the bit right into my right
index finger. Nearly cut the entire tip of my finger off and exposed
the inner workings of exactly how a finger nail grows out of the bone.

Luckily, the whole thing healed without a much of a scar. Luckily. I
was stupid as I think I was using a drywall cutout bit. Big mistake.

For what its worth,

Chuck
Who still has his right index finger.

Posted to rec.woodworking
wildbill

The Dremel should work but.....the bearings in the thing aren't really
designed for heavy side-loads. At least the first two I owned weren't.
Newer models *may* be better.

Just go slow or you will let all the smoke out.

Bill W

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On 19 Jan 2006 11:34:37 -0800, "bremen68" wrote:

Don't think the slot cutter will do it. The grooves I'm looking to put
in are going to wander a bit. The project is my first attempt at a
wooden HO scale (1/64th) wooden slot car track. Middle groove for the
guide pin of the car and a shallower groove on either side for the
power rail. I'll be putting 16 ga. rebar tie wire in the outside
grooves for the power rails.

Candysthis, I have a Dremel and was wondering how it would work for
this application. I'll have to look into the router attachment for it.

Thanks for the ideas. Please feel free to add more. It's going to be
a couple of weeks before I can start.

FLASHBACK!! wow.. lol

I made an HO scale track for Tyco and Arorua cars about 100 years ago...

I'll have to see if I can find a picture... faded memory recalls building a jig
for the router (or maybe the drill press?) that cut 3 grooves at once, the
middle one for the slot and the 2 outside grooves were for the burglar alarm
tape that we used for the power to the cars...

Damn.. that was a LONG time ago.. *g*

If you look at web sites like Penn State, etc., you'll see yo-yo cutting bits
for the drill press... that's sort of what we made, as I remember...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Router bits Price & Quality D. Martin Woodworking 1 February 28th 05 02:47 AM
Bosch 1617EVSPK -- 1/4 or 1/2 bits? Leon Woodworking 3 June 2nd 04 07:36 PM
Infinity router bits Dave Woodworking 3 February 17th 04 04:34 AM
Help with questions. Old B&D router Doug Woodworking 9 January 4th 04 02:01 AM
Vibration on 1/2" bits on Milwake 5615 router Leon Woodworking 1 July 24th 03 03:57 PM