Posted to rec.woodworking

Default University D.I.Y Project

Somebody wrote:

I hope you guys don't use cell phones.

I refuse to have an electronic nurse maid.

I get out of the office to get away from the damn phone,
not have it control my life.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/16/13 6:30 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Somebody wrote:

I hope you guys don't use cell phones.

I refuse to have an electronic nurse maid.

I get out of the office to get away from the damn phone,
not have it control my life.

Lew

I think it's funny that someone wanting to be able to make phone calls
outside their home equates to the phone "controlling one's life" in the
minds of some.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:5120249e$0$13437
:

Somebody wrote:

I hope you guys don't use cell phones.

I refuse to have an electronic nurse maid.

I get out of the office to get away from the damn phone,
not have it control my life.

Lew

My mom wants me to keep my phone on me while working out in the shop.
I'm often out there alone during the night, so having something nearby
that I can use to call for help makes her a little happier.

The phone does not control my life. Anyone who gets that number will
have to deal with my voicemail sooner or later. I just can't hear it or
feel it when mowing the lawn, running a saw (sometimes I feel it), and
sometimes I ignore it.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote:

My mom wants me to keep my phone on me while working out in the
shop.
I'm often out there alone during the night, so having something
nearby
that I can use to call for help makes her a little happier.

-----------------------------------
That's why companies like Life Alert exist.

My mother was still living alone at 102.

I insisted she wear a Life Alert.

It saved her life one night.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 17:53:13 -0600, -MIKE-
What you did is like someone saying there's no need to fear driving on
tires that are a few pounds under pressure and saying, "go ahead and
laugh, when your kids are in a high speed chase and run over spike strips!"

Rightttt! If that's your interpretation of what I said, then I suggest
you avoid drinking any more water from the public utility. Have a good
one Mike.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 16, 5:43*pm, -MIKE- wrote:

My name and phone number are all public record... always have been. But
again, what can they find out? That I like woodworking? That I like
drumming? That I'm conservative? That I like boobs. That narrows me down
to about 200 million people. My point is, what's to fear?

You missed my point. There is nothing to fear at all as long as you
wear your tin foil hat. I favor the three cornered version that some
guy named Abraham Lincoln said was the best design. I found him
easily on google and he allowed that he didn't have his hat on that
day.

Seriously, for those sitting with their tin foil hats on, it's too
late. More than can be imagined is already out there flying through
cyberspace.

So what. BFD. Who cares?

Alfonso

(See how well this works? Betcha you didn't know it was me...
Rodrigo!)
Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote:
On Feb 16, 4:02 pm, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
On 2/16/2013 3:29 PM, wrote:

Most weekend warriors and occasional professionals. You know the
occasional guy, the one that got paid once or twice for a small
project and can't quit crowing about it - no matter it was 3 hour
project his kid's house stretched to a week, or a favor for the
neighborhood widow lady. Plenty of those guys available every
Saturday to talk to.

Wow that picture was so vivid I could smell it. Did you know that my
dad helped me build most of our furniture?? I still hear him tell about
how he helped, bring in a sheet of plywood. Him being 90, that is
something to brag about now, but I have been hearing that story for 30
years. ;~)

Likewise, my Dad as well. As a kiddo, I helped him build a storage
room that was doomed from the start to fall over. (It actually
did...) We also built a very strange looking dog house with a flat
slanted roof once as he couldn't figure out pitch. We replaced boards
on the back fence, and built some rough shelves.

One day, he came out to a semi custom home I was framing (as the lead
framer and owner of the framing company) and announced not only to my
workers that I had actually learned framing from him, but went home
and proclaimed to my Mom that he was responsible for my success as a
house builder. Who knew?

When he actually came out to a house I was building, he was
overwhelmed at the logistics and money involved.

Many years later, he went to my sister's house in Houston and was
looking at the window treatments I designed and installed, the layered
crown molding I put up in their large rooms rooms (different profile
in every room), a new door cut into an existing wall, and the new
front door with a Baldwin box lock I installed, fitted to the existing
opening. All of the finished work was painted and finished by me.

I wasn't there when he surveyed the work. But my sister said he sat
down at the kitchen table with a hugely satisfied look on his face and
proclaimed "well, you know where he learned all that stuff. And all
these years I thought he wasn't paying attention..."

My sister told me there was a beat of silence and then howls of
laughter. They thought he was kidding.

He wasn't!

Robert

LOL. my dad does not take credit for what I know, at least when it comes
to vehicles, or woodworking. But he knows that I got all of my woodworking
skills from my grand father, my grand father died a year before I was born.
I guess it's a blue "jeans" thing thing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
On 2/16/13 4:43 PM, Dave wrote:
On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 16:25:00 -0600, -MIKE-
I'm simply laughing at the paranoia over someone knowing your DNS or IP.
What are they going to know and what are they going to do with the info.

Go ahead, laugh it up and make funny. But, when your kids or grand
kids get coerced into doing something stupid on Facebook and give out
some personal information that they shouldn't have, then you'll think
again.

Well now, that is a pretty big stretch from going to a website and having
it know your DNS, now isn't it?

We the paranoid, :-) are not really saying that we are so naive that we
think all of our information is secret and hidden because we don't go to
certain web sites so much as we the paranoid, :-) are not going to do "all"
of the work for an unknown entity wanting us to go to the trouble of taking
time out to click on an unknown web site and risk what ever..
True it would only take one click but it would only take one click for the
other party to bring the questions to us.

Now this particular site is probably fine as indicated by another post that
vouched for the site but that information was not available when I first
responded and this thread started out like so many other posts that
actually do hope to benefit from a blind faith that bad things only happen
to other people.

I fortunately don't have too many computer issues linked to going to
unknown sites. My father on the other hand has issues that I have to
resolve on what seems to be a weekly basis because he cannot resist to
click on site links brought to him by people that he actually knows. Last
year his computer was infected by clicking on a link to a web site sent to
him by a friend. When he got to the site a pop up window came up after a
few minutes indicating that his virus program detected a virus and it had
placed the virus in quarantine. Click ok to clean the file. He did and it
eventually cost him a few hundred dollars to have the virus removed. The
virus posed as an anti virus program.

While we the paranoid,:-) might seem prudent, we are OK with that. Want
information from me, ask the question. Don't ask me to go some where else
to do so.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Somebody wrote:

I hope you guys don't use cell phones.

I refuse to have an electronic nurse maid.

I get out of the office to get away from the damn phone,
not have it control my life.

Lew

I used to think that way,exactly. I like to get away where no one can
bother me. Then it dawned on me that it would be sooooo much easier to
have a cell phone to make a call for help should I find myself broke down
on the road all alone.

The cell phone is not normally going to bother you unless you
indiscriminately give out the number, and if you really don't want to be
bothered, filter which calls come through or turn off the ringer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Somebody wrote:

I hope you guys don't use cell phones.

I refuse to have an electronic nurse maid.

I get out of the office to get away from the damn phone,
not have it control my life.

Lew

I think it's funny that someone wanting to be able to make phone calls
outside their home equates to the phone "controlling one's life" in the
minds of some.

I totally understand his point, you may not. Lew said nothing about making
a call, he is more concerned about a cell phone calling him. He is
ignorant of the fact that you don't have to receive calls like those he has
seen come in to ignorant idiots that receive calls at the movie theater or
the restraint or when driving some where. He does not want to be bothered
or be a bother to others because of a cell phone that has not simply been
turned off.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Try going to a lookup site..you will be amazed
Posted to rec.woodworking

Somebody wrote:

I hope you guys don't use cell phones.
I refuse to have an electronic nurse maid.

I get out of the office to get away from the damn phone,
not have it control my life.

Lew

I think it's funny that someone wanting to be able to make phone calls
outside their home equates to the phone "controlling one's life" in the
minds of some.

I totally understand his point, you may not. Lew said nothing about making
a call, he is more concerned about a cell phone calling him. He is
ignorant of the fact that you don't have to receive calls like those he has
seen come in to ignorant idiots that receive calls at the movie theater or
the restraint or when driving some where. He does not want to be bothered
or be a bother to others because of a cell phone that has not simply been
turned off.

I guess if you can't turn a phone off, it *does* control you. :-)

Like I heard once, "My cell phone is for *my* convenience, not yours."

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/17/13 8:52 AM, Ribbit wrote:
Try going to a lookup site..you will be amazed

By what?
All the public information that is readily available at any county
commissioners office? :-)

If I'm amazed, I'm amazed that it took this long for it to be so easily
accessed. Anything that makes public information easier to obtain is
good by me... especially information about what the government is doing.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

I used to think that way,exactly. I like to get away where no one
can
bother me. Then it dawned on me that it would be sooooo much easier
have a cell phone to make a call for help should I find myself broke
down
on the road all alone.

The cell phone is not normally going to bother you unless you
indiscriminately give out the number, and if you really don't want
to be
bothered, filter which calls come through or turn off the ringer.

Ah yes, the AAA mentality as it's sometimes called by cruising
sailors.

Don't plan ahead, get in trouble, call AAA to bail you out.

I'm not being critical, just making an observation.

It seems to be the fashion. Get your ass in trouble, grab the cell,
yell for help, rather than trying to solve your problem.

Not saying that there are times when a cell phone call saves
the day, but rather a cell call seems to be the first choice.

At least once a week, somebody goes hiking in the local
mountains and gets into trouble.

Out comes the cell phone making the call that launches search
and rescue, which often includes helicopter resources.

This happens at great cost, but human life is involved.

These rescues also count as training missions which
helps reduce total cost.

As a cruising sailor, I try operate differently.

If I choose to go in harms way, it is my responsibility to take
care of myself and my vessel and not expose others to
possible harm rescuing me from my own stupidity.

As far as phone control is concerned, am totally aware of the
various controls that will limit the beast, but if I don't have a
cell,
then don't have to turn it off.

As far as not handing out your cell number, it's a joke.

With today's capture technology, you call me I have your number,
you don't have to waste time trying to give it to me.

These days, it is difficult enough to find some piece and quiet.

Cell phones are an invasion of my privacy, IMHO.

The boat yard is about as close as it gets on land,
the time spent sailing is another.

Off the box.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

I refuse to have an electronic nurse maid.

I get out of the office to get away from the damn phone,
not have it control my life.

With all the screwy things that are going on with
public transportation these days, having access to a cell
phone is almost mandatory while traveling.

It replaces the "Calling Card" of bygone days.

Having a "Burn Phone" packed in your carry on brief case
for those "Travel Revision" moments" makes a lot of sense.

Kind of like a life preserver on a boat.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:

I refuse to have an electronic nurse maid.

I get out of the office to get away from the damn phone,
not have it control my life.

With all the screwy things that are going on with
public transportation these days, having access to a cell
phone is almost mandatory while traveling.

It replaces the "Calling Card" of bygone days.

Having a "Burn Phone" packed in your carry on brief case
for those "Travel Revision" moments" makes a lot of sense.

Kind of like a life preserver on a boat.

Lew

Starting to rethink your thoughts?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

[...]

1. If you don't make the call the number can't be captured. This should
not be a problem if you only have the phone for important calls.
2.. Again, turn the phone off if you don't want to receive calls.
3. Again, turn the ringer off if you don't want to be bothered by calls
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:

I refuse to have an electronic nurse maid.

I get out of the office to get away from the damn phone,
not have it control my life.

With all the screwy things that are going on with
public transportation these days, having access to a cell
phone is almost mandatory while traveling.

It replaces the "Calling Card" of bygone days.

Having a "Burn Phone" packed in your carry on brief case
for those "Travel Revision" moments" makes a lot of sense.

Kind of like a life preserver on a boat.

Lew

Starting to rethink your thoughts?

I understand his thoughts. It's a little like camping, where you wish to
"take a break" from
industrialization--not tote it around with you. I think expecting
people to live in harmony with
changing technology is a bit of an unreasonable request. I haven't toted
a cell phone anywhere yet (I'm
sure there may come a day when **I** am ready--the phone can wait, not
the other way around!).

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

I think expecting people to live in harmony with changing technology is a
bit of an unreasonable request.

I don't believe anyone in this discussion made such a request or statement.

It's just MY comment about the "human animal", based upon my
observations. I am not trying to parrot anyone else.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

I think expecting people to live in harmony with changing technology is a
bit of an unreasonable request.

I don't believe anyone in this discussion made such a request or statement.

Mike, Leon asked Lew if he wished to reconsider his thoughts regarding
cell-phones (that was the "request").

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

I think expecting people to live in harmony with changing
technology is a bit of an unreasonable request.

I don't believe anyone in this discussion made such a request or
statement.

Mike, Leon asked Lew if he wished to reconsider his thoughts
regarding cell-phones (that was the "request").

That was in specific reference to a statement which Lew made that was in
apparent contradiction to a previous statement byhim. It certainly didn't
appear to be an attempt by Leon to convince Lew that he needed to carry a
cell phone. You have quoted the entire dialog - it's easy to see in in what
you posted.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

I think expecting people to live in harmony with changing
technology is a bit of an unreasonable request.
I don't believe anyone in this discussion made such a request or
statement.

Mike, Leon asked Lew if he wished to reconsider his thoughts
regarding cell-phones (that was the "request").

That was in specific reference to a statement which Lew made that was in
apparent contradiction to a previous statement byhim. It certainly didn't
appear to be an attempt by Leon to convince Lew that he needed to carry a
cell phone. You have quoted the entire dialog - it's easy to see in in what
you posted.

Okay, I believe you. After people "trim" messages, it gets easier to
take one out of context.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 12:50:48 -0500, Bill
Mike, Leon asked Lew if he wished to reconsider his thoughts regarding
cell-phones (that was the "request").

That's because Lew appeared to post a second message directly
contradicting his thoughts about owning a cell phone.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/24/2013 1:04 PM, Dave wrote:
On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 12:50:48 -0500, Bill
Mike, Leon asked Lew if he wished to reconsider his thoughts regarding
cell-phones (that was the "request").

That's because Lew appeared to post a second message directly
contradicting his thoughts about owning a cell phone.

Glad I was not the only one that saw it that way. No if Lew would just
quit posting gas prices and nude pictures of men.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

Starting to rethink your thoughts?

Not really, just updating travel tools. The phone company
calling card has seen better days.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

Starting to rethink your thoughts?

Not really, just updating travel tools. The phone company
calling card has seen better days.

Oh, oh ... the camel's nose is now under the tent.

.... and Lew's Luddite tendencies are toast.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote:

Oh, oh ... the camel's nose is now under the tent.

... and Lew's Luddite tendencies are toast.

Don't bet the farm on it.

These days, I no longer have any desire to travel.

Over the years, I have spent enough time with my ass
jammed in the middle seat of a 727 or whatever the current
Boeing or AirBus model is these days.

Life is too short for all that aggravation.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote:

Oh, oh ... the camel's nose is now under the tent.

... and Lew's Luddite tendencies are toast.

Don't bet the farm on it.

These days, I no longer have any desire to travel.

Over the years, I have spent enough time with my ass
jammed in the middle seat of a 727 or whatever the current
Boeing or AirBus model is these days.

Life is too short for all that aggravation.

This one time footloose globe trotter knows the feeling ... Hell, I
don't even like to go the grocery store any more than necessary ... and
I'm the cook.