Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_5_] Leon[_5_] is offline

Default University D.I.Y Project

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:

I refuse to have an electronic nurse maid.

I get out of the office to get away from the damn phone,
not have it control my life.

"Leon" wrote:

I used to think that way,exactly. I like to get away where no one
can
bother me. Then it dawned on me that it would be sooooo much easier
have a cell phone to make a call for help should I find myself broke
down
on the road all alone.

The cell phone is not normally going to bother you unless you
indiscriminately give out the number, and if you really don't want
to be
bothered, filter which calls come through or turn off the ringer.

Ah yes, the AAA mentality as it's sometimes called by cruising
sailors.

Don't plan ahead, get in trouble, call AAA to bail you out.

I'm not being critical, just making an observation.

It seems to be the fashion. Get your ass in trouble, grab the cell,
yell for help, rather than trying to solve your problem.

Not saying that there are times when a cell phone call saves
the day, but rather a cell call seems to be the first choice.

At least once a week, somebody goes hiking in the local
mountains and gets into trouble.

Out comes the cell phone making the call that launches search
and rescue, which often includes helicopter resources.

This happens at great cost, but human life is involved.

These rescues also count as training missions which
helps reduce total cost.

As a cruising sailor, I try operate differently.

If I choose to go in harms way, it is my responsibility to take
care of myself and my vessel and not expose others to
possible harm rescuing me from my own stupidity.

As far as phone control is concerned, am totally aware of the
various controls that will limit the beast, but if I don't have a
cell,
then don't have to turn it off.

As far as not handing out your cell number, it's a joke.

With today's capture technology, you call me I have your number,
you don't have to waste time trying to give it to me.

These days, it is difficult enough to find some piece and quiet.

Cell phones are an invasion of my privacy, IMHO.

The boat yard is about as close as it gets on land,
the time spent sailing is another.

Off the box.

Lew

1. If you don't make the call the number can't be captured. This should
not be a problem if you only have the phone for important calls.
2.. Again, turn the phone off if you don't want to receive calls.
3. Again, turn the ringer off if you don't want to be bothered by calls