Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rediscovering the Wheel, repeatedly

My recent flurry of woodworking has required a lot of head-scratching
and problem solving; the work isn't intricate, but there's a lot of it
to do and my experience is limited. I'm trying to be careful and
efficient. Along the way I have made certain discoveries that I'd like
to share. The reactions to my "discoveries" usually fall into two
categories:

1. Yeah, people have been doing that since 1942 (or 1492)
2. No, that's really *not* how it's done.

So here goes:

**The Disposable Work Surface
These bookcases are my largest project to date, and my bench is too
small for it. I made a table from sawhorses, 2x4s and a couple of
pieces of MDF. It's a lot bigger than I'm used to, and I've been
keeping it uncluttered as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...57632376881493

I'm finding the "sacrificial" nature of the table a great boon.
Besides allowing me to screw down the dado jig to make it stationary,
it has spawned a couple of my other discoveries.

**Poor Man's Bench Hold-Downs
I had to rout out some long rabbets to receive the backs of the
bookcases. In the past I'd probably have struggled to clamp the piece
to the edge of the work surface without the clamps getting in the way
of the router travel. But hey, it's just a piece of MDF, so...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...n/photostream/

.... some quick work with a hole saw and a couple of QuickGrips and
voila! Quick, secure and out of the way.

**Extra Surface for Router to Ride On
Since I could clamp the work so that all of it was on the table, I was
able to clamp another strip of 3/4" ply parallel to and a couple of
inches away from the work piece:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...n/photostream/

I don't know if steadier hands would need the extra slat, but it made
me feel much more secure to have a surface for the other side of the
router base to ride on.

**Mounting Guide Blocks and Strips on the Work Surface

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/8352607664/

I clamped down a couple of plywood slats to help with the dry fitting,
and it got me thinking. I could dry fit and square up a unit, then
screw "guide" pieces into the work surface that would help me get back
to that same successful alignment quickly during glue up. This sounds
promising, especially as glue-up (especially of a number of joints at
once) tends to make me anxious.

That's it for now. But never fear; the project isn't nearly done yet.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg Guarino" wrote:

My recent flurry of woodworking has required a lot of
head-scratching
and problem solving; the work isn't intricate, but there's a lot of
it
to do and my experience is limited. I'm trying to be careful and
efficient. Along the way I have made certain discoveries that I'd
like
to share. The reactions to my "discoveries" usually fall into two
categories:

1. Yeah, people have been doing that since 1942 (or 1492)
2. No, that's really *not* how it's done.

snip
There are usually lots of solutions to a problem.

What ever floats your boat.

Have fun.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/5/2013 11:06 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

**The Disposable Work Surface
These bookcases are my largest project to date, and my bench is too
small for it. I made a table from sawhorses, 2x4s and a couple of
pieces of MDF. It's a lot bigger than I'm used to, and I've been
keeping it uncluttered as well.

if the opportunity presents itself to rebuild another wheel:

I probably have access to more used doors than you do, but even a cheap
hollow core door from the Borg will cost roughly the same as MDF, will
most likely be lighter and stronger, and has a better chance of
being/staying flatter:

As a sacrificial table for cutting sheet goods:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...18333509818626

As an assembly table:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...26970288832866

For many projects a 24" door is ideal because it is easy to clamp from
both sides ... they also store easily in your sheetgoods area/rack.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg Guarino" wrote in message

**The Disposable Work Surface
These bookcases are my largest project to date, and my bench is too
small for it. I made a table from sawhorses, 2x4s and a couple of
pieces of MDF. It's a lot bigger than I'm used to, and I've been
keeping it uncluttered as well.

A viable solution... I'd make sure that the work surface is not twisted
though. The floor upon which the saw horses sit may not be flat and their
could be variance in the sawhorses and 2x4s that result in a non-flat work
surface. Being level may or may not matter but being flat does if you are
using it as a reference surface. Shims or trimming can be used to true up
the surface...

I mention this as an associate of mine made a similar workbench to build a
relatively large cabinet. When he was done the cabinet was twisted and
didn't fit the "hole" where it was to be installed... the problem was traced
back to an untrue work surface.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/2013 12:06 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

Greg when you get a chance you may want to countersink your jigs screws.
You will find that you will keep your jigs, and screws sticking up will
scratch your good wood when you are not paying attention. So glue and
screw, but keep them out of the way.

Welcome to the world of woodworking. A thousand ways to do something,
and a thousand ways to screw up too.

Choose the right one, and nirvana, choose the wrong one and learn. Make
the same wrong decision over and over and we've got a letter for you...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/5/13 11:06 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
**The Disposable Work Surface
These bookcases are my largest project to date, and my bench is too
small for it. I made a table from sawhorses, 2x4s and a couple of
pieces of MDF. It's a lot bigger than I'm used to, and I've been
keeping it uncluttered as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...57632376881493

I'm finding the "sacrificial" nature of the table a great boon.
Besides allowing me to screw down the dado jig to make it stationary,
it has spawned a couple of my other discoveries.

Next time, try melamine.
Glue doesn't stick to it and it's white, so it reflects light making it
easier to see stuff.

As to the rest of your post. I'm finding with the more woodworking I do,
I enjoy the satisfaction I get from the problem solving and creating
solutions for increase efficiency, accuracy, etc., as much, perhaps more
at times, than the satisfaction of seeing a completely project.
Maybe it's human nature to seek fulfillment in shorter intervals than
what would only come at times when an entire project in finished. I
don't know. Maybe it's pride and/or stubbornness that makes a man want
to solve a problem on his own and not look to another for the solution.
That certainly wasn't me in high school. :-)

You may have found yourself on a fun path of making all your own jigs
and fixtures... which, again, is often more enjoyable than the actually
project you're working on. It's a fun path and a stimulating path for
your brain. Some people like to read a book or two a week. I like to
create/invent/solve a thing or two a week. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/13 9:19 AM, Swingman wrote:
I probably have access to more used doors than you do, but even a cheap
hollow core door from the Borg will cost roughly the same as MDF, will
most likely be lighter and stronger, and has a better chance of
being/staying flatter:

I have 3 of those hollow, hanging, closet doors left over from our
bathroom remodel, standing in the corner waiting to support my current
bookcase assembly. They did not go in the Bagster. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/2013 11:44 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Absolutely true, and very well expressed!

Notwithstanding all the furniture and cabinets I've built down through
the years, if someone asked me what I considered my best work, it would
probably be some damn jig I cobbled up to solve a problem in the most
elegant way possible.

IOW, to design this:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Mis...rCrestJig1.JPG

To do this with to utilize an available tool:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...76950437630034

Was infinitely more satisfying than building any number of chairs and
bar stools.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/13 12:33 PM, Swingman wrote:
IOW, to design this:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Mis...rCrestJig1.JPG

Tangent..... do you have a bugger pic of that blade guard.
That looks like one a guy can work with in place.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/UniGuard.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/DELTA-34-976-D.../dp/B0000223C8

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/2013 12:46 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/6/2013 12:44 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/6/13 12:33 PM, Swingman wrote:
IOW, to design this:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Mis...rCrestJig1.JPG

Tangent..... do you have a bugger pic of that blade guard.
That looks like one a guy can work with in place.

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/UniGuard.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/DELTA-34-976-D.../dp/B0000223C8

BTW, because it attaches to the back end of the table itself, and as
long as there is nothing (like a necessary fence part/bracket) there to
impede installation, I see no reason why it can't be made to work on a
table saw with a good cast iron top.

I no longer use it, but have promised it to Pat Barber hereabouts a few
years back, that is when either of us get the time to address it, and do
all that is necessary to ship it.

AAMOF, I bought it ten years ago from another old time wRec'er from San
Antonio, Preston Andreas.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 6, 10:19*am, Swingman wrote:
On 1/5/2013 11:06 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

**The Disposable Work Surface
These bookcases are my largest project to date, and my bench is too
small for it. I made a table from sawhorses, 2x4s and a couple of
pieces of MDF. It's a lot bigger than I'm used to, and I've been
keeping it uncluttered as well.

if the opportunity presents itself to rebuild another wheel:

I probably have access to more used doors than you do, but even a cheap
hollow core door from the Borg will cost roughly the same as MDF, will
most likely be lighter and stronger, and has a better chance of
being/staying flatter:

As a sacrificial table for cutting sheet goods:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...dShopRetrofit2...

As an assembly table:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...dShopMissionBa...

For many projects a 24" door is ideal because it is easy to clamp from
both sides ... they also store easily in your sheetgoods area/rack.

--
eWoodShop:www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop:http://www.e-WoodShop.nethttps://plu...17371552/posts
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

The MDF has performed well for what I have done so far, and the
"clamping through holes" method wouldn't work very well on a hollow
core door. But I have been thinking about how to do the glue-up, and
"flatness" will become an issue then. I suppose I could buy a door for
that purpose, but I have very limited space to store it afterward. It
would have to be a pretty big one too, as two of the units I'm
building are 30" wide. I'm still tossing it around in my head.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/2013 3:44 PM, Amy Guarino wrote:

I suppose I could buy a door for
that purpose, but I have very limited space to store it afterward

No sympathy whatsoever ... if you're shop space is smaller than mine, it
is illegal to call it a shop.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...03629261095154

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Amy Guarino wrote:
The MDF has performed well for what I have done so far, and the
"clamping through holes" method wouldn't work very well on a hollow
core door. But I have been thinking about how to do the glue-up, and
"flatness" will become an issue then. I suppose I could buy a door for
that purpose, but I have very limited space to store it afterward. It
would have to be a pretty big one too, as two of the units I'm
building are 30" wide. I'm still tossing it around in my head.

Got a floor?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 16:38:04 -0600, Swingman wrote:
No sympathy whatsoever ... if you're shop space is smaller than mine, it
is illegal to call it a shop.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...03629261095154

That's not a workshop, that's a storage shed filled to the gills.
You're a homebuilder. Surely, you must have some bigger location you
use to stage your projects???

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 16:38:04 -0600, Swingman wrote:

No sympathy whatsoever ... if you're shop space is smaller than mine, it
is illegal to call it a shop.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...03629261095154

That's not a workshop, that's a storage shed filled to the gills.
You're a homebuilder. Surely, you must have some bigger location you
use to stage your projects???

Nope ... except for two years while I rebuilt it after it flooded one too
many times, and I moved it here temporarily:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/TempShop0.jpg

Which is not much bigger ... the first link above has been the shop I've
built everything in for 12 years.

It ain't the size of the dog in the fight Bubba.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/13 6:40 PM, Swingman wrote:
Dave wrote:
On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 16:38:04 -0600, Swingman wrote:

No sympathy whatsoever ... if you're shop space is smaller than mine, it
is illegal to call it a shop.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...03629261095154

That's not a workshop, that's a storage shed filled to the gills.
You're a homebuilder. Surely, you must have some bigger location you
use to stage your projects???

Nope ... except for two years while I rebuilt it after it flooded one too
many times, and I moved it here temporarily:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/TempShop0.jpg

Which is not much bigger ... the first link above has been the shop I've
built everything in for 12 years.

It ain't the size of the dog in the fight Bubba.

But it would certainly be a lot less frustrating and more efficient to
have more room.
I get so sick of moving everything in and out and around, just to use
another tool.

Then there's the fact that the shop doubles as my "ready area" for gigs.
It's near impossible to have music and woodworking projects going at the
same time.
If I ever get to the point where I have plenty of room for both, I'll
probably get cancer. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
[...]

Don't say that, I finally doubled my shop size to 960 sq'. It's nice
being able to move around with out banging into heavy iron. I can use
any tool now with out having to rearrange the shop. I even have an
easy chair to take a break in.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
[...]

All you need is a mini fridge and kegerator.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 16:38:04 -0600, wrote:

[...]

My old shop was 1450 square feet.
The house was 1300.
Get your priorities in order!

When you stick the wings on, they take up a LOT of room.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike M wrote in
:

Don't say that, I finally doubled my shop size to 960 sq'. It's nice
being able to move around with out banging into heavy iron. I can use
any tool now with out having to rearrange the shop. I even have an
easy chair to take a break in.

Mike M

Now that you've got the bigger shop, can you find the tool you need?
Actually, the bigger problem isn't finding the tool, it's leaving it on the
other side of the shop and having to go get it! *g*

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 20:23:06 -0600, -MIKE-
Then there's the fact that the shop doubles as my "ready area" for gigs.
It's near impossible to have music and woodworking projects going at the
same time.
If I ever get to the point where I have plenty of room for both, I'll
probably get cancer. :-)

I remember when I first moved into my apartment and I commented to a
friend how fast I was able to fill up the available space.

His reply to me was that the problem wasn't the available space, it
was the drive that most people have to fill up a space no matter how
big it is.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 20:23:06 -0600, -MIKE- .
If I ever get to the point where I have plenty of room for both, I'll
probably get cancer. :-)

Geez, hope you don't win the lottery then. I keep reading about people
winning a whole pile of money and then BAM! Two months later they're
dying of cancer.

It's getting to the point that winning the lottery appears to be a
quick death sentence.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 6, 5:38*pm, Swingman wrote:
On 1/6/2013 3:44 PM, Amy Guarino wrote:

I suppose I could buy a door for
that purpose, but I have very limited space to store it afterward

No sympathy whatsoever ... if you're shop space is smaller than mine, it
is illegal to call it a shop.

It probably is a little smaller, but I have cleverly made up for the
lack of space by not crowding it with a bunch of fancy machinery;
apart from the one really large piece, that is. But that one is self-
propelled and is thus easy to move out to the driveway when necessary.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
[...]

What do you use the "ready area" for? Back before I was such an expert
woodworker I had a piece of furniture built to hold my (keyboard)
gear. It's effectively an armoire, only much deeper, and it's located
within 10' of the front door. Back when we were gigging heavily, that
was a real blessing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 6, 5:50*pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
Amy Guarino wrote:
The MDF has performed well for what I have done so far, and the
"clamping through holes" method wouldn't work very well on a hollow
core door. But I have been thinking about how to do the glue-up, and
"flatness" will become an issue then. I suppose I could buy a door for
that purpose, but I have very limited space to store it afterward. It
would have to be a pretty big one too, as two of the units I'm
building are 30" wide. I'm still tossing it around in my head.

Got a floor?

I do, but it's not flat, as the condensation water from my car's a/c
will attest. Even if it were, it would still be a couple feet lower in
altitude than guys my age like to work.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 08:15:54 -0500, Keith Nuttle
From what I have read winning the lottery has all ways been a financial
death sentence.

I've read similar sentiments. Figure if I ever win anything big, I'd
be hiring security first, then an investment accountant and probably a
lawyer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/2013 11:44 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/5/13 11:06 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
**The Disposable Work Surface
These bookcases are my largest project to date, and my bench is too
small for it. I made a table from sawhorses, 2x4s and a couple of
pieces of MDF. It's a lot bigger than I'm used to, and I've been
keeping it uncluttered as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...57632376881493

I'm finding the "sacrificial" nature of the table a great boon.
Besides allowing me to screw down the dado jig to make it stationary,
it has spawned a couple of my other discoveries.

Next time, try melamine.
Glue doesn't stick to it and it's white, so it reflects light making it
easier to see stuff.

Well be careful with that assumption. Wood glue does not stick to
melamine as easily as it does to wood. but I have accidentally glued a
piece of wood to my TS melamine extension table and removing the wood
also removed the melamine.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 1/7/2013 2:37 AM, Dave wrote:
On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 20:23:06 -0600, -MIKE- .
If I ever get to the point where I have plenty of room for both, I'll
probably get cancer. :-)

Geez, hope you don't win the lottery then. I keep reading about people
winning a whole pile of money and then BAM! Two months later they're
dying of cancer.

That's not hard to do, considering that fully half the population will
have some type of cancer during their lifetime.

It's getting to the point that winning the lottery appears to be a
quick death sentence.

From what I have read winning the lottery has all ways been a financial
death sentence.

PLEASE sentence me!

--
Intuition isn't the enemy, but the ally, of reason.
-- John Kord Lagemann

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote in
:

On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 08:15:54 -0500, Keith Nuttle
From what I have read winning the lottery has all ways been a financial
death sentence.

I've read similar sentiments. Figure if I ever win anything big, I'd
be hiring security first, then an investment accountant and probably a
lawyer.

Sounds like a plan, but beware. Any one of these groups can result in the
loss of quite a bit of what they're supposed to preserve.

The family leeches will be crawling out of their holes as well...

To bring this back to woodworking (and open a can of worms), if you did win
the lottery would you buy a SawStop?

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/7/2013 9:47 AM, Dave wrote:
On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 08:15:54 -0500, Keith Nuttle
From what I have read winning the lottery has all ways been a financial
death sentence.

I've read similar sentiments. Figure if I ever win anything big, I'd
be hiring security first, then an investment accountant and probably a
lawyer.

I think the order would be reversed. The lawyer to set up the financial
instrument to work for you with the Lottery authority. The accountant
to handle the taxes for the various municipalities with their hands out,
and the security guard if there is anything left to worry about the guard.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 07 Jan 2013 15:34:47 GMT, Puckdropper
To bring this back to woodworking (and open a can of worms), if you did win
the lottery would you buy a SawStop?

Not unless I could have it height modified for woodworking from my
wheelchair. Talked to SawStop a few years back about the height
modification thing and I was told "no" because of engineering that was
down near the bottom of the saw.

General did make a height modified saw, but now that they've gone bye
bye with the Canadian manufacturing, it's no longer made.

However, SINCE we're talking about big lottery money, I might well end
up buying myself a Martin or something similar. Program in my
measurements, push a button and watch it power feed cutting to better
than 1/64" tolerances.

Then I'd have my private woodworking butler team put it all together
for me.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
[...]

Actually have a refrigerator with two corny kegs in it. I'm a home
brewer who hasn't brewed in a while but now have room again. It's
been easier just to run up to the local brewry and get my kegs filled.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 07 Jan 2013 05:39:18 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Mike M wrote in
:

Don't say that, I finally doubled my shop size to 960 sq'. It's nice
being able to move around with out banging into heavy iron. I can use
any tool now with out having to rearrange the shop. I even have an
easy chair to take a break in.

Mike M

Now that you've got the bigger shop, can you find the tool you need?
Actually, the bigger problem isn't finding the tool, it's leaving it on the
other side of the shop and having to go get it! *g*

Puckdropper

I still have trouble finding things I just brought home. Between Xmas
and 3 birthdays this month I've just been trying to get projects done
so still pretty disorganized. Spent very little time in the shop for
9 months between down time on the leg, and shop construction.

Mike M

Mike M

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/7/13 1:34 AM, Dave wrote:
On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 20:23:06 -0600, -MIKE-
Then there's the fact that the shop doubles as my "ready area" for gigs.
It's near impossible to have music and woodworking projects going at the
same time.
If I ever get to the point where I have plenty of room for both, I'll
probably get cancer. :-)

I remember when I first moved into my apartment and I commented to a
friend how fast I was able to fill up the available space.

His reply to me was that the problem wasn't the available space, it
was the drive that most people have to fill up a space no matter how
big it is.

That's a pet peeve of mine.
As soon as we clean out a kitchen cabinet and get rid of some stuff we
never use, SWMBO fills it with other stuff like it exists in a vacuum.
It's OK to have some space in there! The thing I hate the most is having
a bunch of different sized bowls stacked inside each other, like Russian
dolls. Or any other case of having to remove 7 items to get out the 1
you're using.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
I remember when I first moved into my apartment and I commented to a
friend how fast I was able to fill up the available space.

His reply to me was that the problem wasn't the available space, it
was the drive that most people have to fill up a space no matter how
big it is.

That's my wife, sorta. You've heard the phrase, "Nature abhors a vacuum"?
Well, my wife abhors an uncluttered horizontal surface

Some years ago I built her a nice solid hickory desk & credenza. No one has
seen either top wood surface since about 5 minutes after she got them.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 08:15:54 -0500, Keith Nuttle
From what I have read winning the lottery has all ways been a
financial death sentence.

I've read similar sentiments. Figure if I ever win anything big, I'd
be hiring security first, then an investment accountant and probably a
lawyer.

Pay no attention to either.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
[...]

I have 3 drum sets and I use each for different gigs/sessions. I don't
have the space to keep cases and hardware for all three, so a lot of
those things get shared.
The drum room is even more crowded than the shop. Each is two sides of a
(previously) 2 car garage. A previous owner converted one side into a
little den area (drum room).

There's very little space in the drum room to get kits ready for travel,
so it generally spills out into the shop. I also have to load out drums
though the shop, out its garage door to the van/car. The table saw is
always in the way, since it sits near the garage door for obvious
reasons. The saw has to be collapsed, turned 90degrees, and pushed into
it's cubby that has other tools in it, when the saw is in use. (Remember
the game Tetris?) I could go on. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in news:50eaeb16$0$18729$c3e8da3
:

To bring this back to woodworking (and open a can of worms), if you did win
the lottery would you buy a SawStop?

In a heartbeat.