Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rediscovering the Wheel, repeatedly

On 1/7/13 8:48 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/6/2013 11:44 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/5/13 11:06 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
**The Disposable Work Surface
These bookcases are my largest project to date, and my bench is too
small for it. I made a table from sawhorses, 2x4s and a couple of
pieces of MDF. It's a lot bigger than I'm used to, and I've been
keeping it uncluttered as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...57632376881493

I'm finding the "sacrificial" nature of the table a great boon.
Besides allowing me to screw down the dado jig to make it stationary,
it has spawned a couple of my other discoveries.

Next time, try melamine.
Glue doesn't stick to it and it's white, so it reflects light making it
easier to see stuff.

Well be careful with that assumption. Wood glue does not stick to
melamine as easily as it does to wood. but I have accidentally glued a
piece of wood to my TS melamine extension table and removing the wood
also removed the melamine.

I'm sure not all melamines nor glues are the same.
I guess I should say, clean up is much easier.
Dried up standard yella glue pops right off the melamine in my shop.
That doesn't happen with mdf. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/7/13 10:02 AM, Mike M wrote:
On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 20:53:40 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 1/6/13 8:47 PM, Mike M wrote:
On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 20:23:06 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 1/6/13 6:40 PM, Swingman wrote:
Dave wrote:
On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 16:38:04 -0600, Swingman wrote:

No sympathy whatsoever ... if you're shop space is smaller than mine, it
is illegal to call it a shop.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...03629261095154

That's not a workshop, that's a storage shed filled to the gills.
You're a homebuilder. Surely, you must have some bigger location you
use to stage your projects???

Nope ... except for two years while I rebuilt it after it flooded one too
many times, and I moved it here temporarily:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/TempShop0.jpg

Which is not much bigger ... the first link above has been the shop I've
built everything in for 12 years.

It ain't the size of the dog in the fight Bubba.

But it would certainly be a lot less frustrating and more efficient to
have more room.
I get so sick of moving everything in and out and around, just to use
another tool.

Then there's the fact that the shop doubles as my "ready area" for gigs.
It's near impossible to have music and woodworking projects going at the
same time.
If I ever get to the point where I have plenty of room for both, I'll
probably get cancer. :-)

Don't say that, I finally doubled my shop size to 960 sq'. It's nice
being able to move around with out banging into heavy iron. I can use
any tool now with out having to rearrange the shop. I even have an
easy chair to take a break in.

Mike M

All you need is a mini fridge and kegerator.

Actually have a refrigerator with two corny kegs in it. I'm a home
brewer who hasn't brewed in a while but now have room again. It's
been easier just to run up to the local brewry and get my kegs filled.

Mike M

I hear that. I have a home brew kit, but haven't started it, yet.
You need a "cool" place to put it for however long, and that's hard to
find, here.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote in :

I'm sure not all melamines nor glues are the same.
I guess I should say, clean up is much easier.
Dried up standard yella glue pops right off the melamine in my shop.

That's my experience also. Likewise hide glue.

That doesn't happen with mdf. :-)

Doesn't happen with Gorilla Glue on melamine, either...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/7/2013 10:23 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
As soon as we clean out a kitchen cabinet and get rid of some stuff we
never use, SWMBO fills it with other stuff like it exists in a vacuum.
It's OK to have some space in there! The thing I hate the most is having
a bunch of different sized bowls stacked inside each other, like Russian
dolls. Or any other case of having to remove 7 items to get out the 1
you're using.

Yep, that's a bone of contention around here ... that, and putting
things back where they belong in the kitchen (hate it when I burn a roux
because I have to go through a *dozen kitchen drawers for something
that's not in the drawer where it was last time).

And the four hundred plastic containers, none with a lid that fits,
ranks right up there.

In short, put the girl on stage with a guitar and she'll warm your heart
.... in the kitchen, she'll give you heartburn.

(*I've already decided that if I ever build her another kitchen, it will
only have one cabinet, and one drawer)

Then again, you gotta make allowances for someone who once flew back (to
Houston, TX, in July!) from a gig in Toronto with a huge (so huge it had
to be hand carried) windshield ice scraper she bought in the airport????

Which was really no more baffling than recently finding her reading
glasses in the dog food bag, and the scoop from the bag in the freezer??

... still trying to figure that out.

One too many X chromosomes apparently makes for a bag of contradictions
.... it's why we love'em, right?

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/7/2013 10:34 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
There's very little space in the drum room to get kits ready for travel,
so it generally spills out into the shop. I also have to load out drums
though the shop, out its garage door to the van/car. The table saw is
always in the way, since it sits near the garage door for obvious
reasons. The saw has to be collapsed, turned 90degrees, and pushed into
it's cubby that has other tools in it, when the saw is in use. (Remember
the game Tetris?) I could go on. :-)

Welcome to my world ... a world where doing just one thing requires
sixteen other things to be done first.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/7/2013 10:41 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/7/13 8:48 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/6/2013 11:44 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

This was TB III not sure what quality of melamine. ;~)

I guess I should say, clean up is much easier.

Dried up standard yella glue pops right off the melamine in my shop.
That doesn't happen with mdf. :-)

Absolutely! I use a cabinet scraper to remove surface glue.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/7/2013 11:12 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
-MIKE- wrote in :

I'm sure not all melamines nor glues are the same.
I guess I should say, clean up is much easier.
Dried up standard yella glue pops right off the melamine in my shop.

That's my experience also. Likewise hide glue.

That doesn't happen with mdf. :-)

Doesn't happen with Gorilla Glue on melamine, either...

Which kind of Gorilla glue. Urethane or white?

I can easily get Gorilla Glue White wood glue off providing it is not
holding a piece of wood to the melamine. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/7/2013 10:37 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in news:50eaeb16$0$18729$c3e8da3
:

To bring this back to woodworking (and open a can of worms), if you did win
the lottery would you buy a SawStop?

In a heartbeat.

Maybe 2. One set up for cross cutting and one for rip'n. Maybe 3, a
dado set up. Then a bigger shop. And then.......
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/7/2013 9:38 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
On 1/7/2013 9:47 AM, Dave wrote:
On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 08:15:54 -0500, Keith Nuttle
From what I have read winning the lottery has all ways been a financial
death sentence.

I've read similar sentiments. Figure if I ever win anything big, I'd
be hiring security first, then an investment accountant and probably a
lawyer.

I think the order would be reversed. The lawyer to set up the financial
instrument to work for you with the Lottery authority. The accountant
to handle the taxes for the various municipalities with their hands out,
and the security guard if there is anything left to worry about the guard.

Naw,,, Hire a lawyer and he gets most of your winnings up front.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/7/2013 10:30 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Dave wrote:
On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 08:15:54 -0500, Keith Nuttle
From what I have read winning the lottery has all ways been a
financial death sentence.

I've read similar sentiments. Figure if I ever win anything big, I'd
be hiring security first, then an investment accountant and probably a
lawyer.

Pay no attention to either.

Lottery winners typically do not know how to handle money in the first
place. That is why they are poor and why they play the lottery.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

-MIKE- wrote in :

I'm sure not all melamines nor glues are the same.
I guess I should say, clean up is much easier.
Dried up standard yella glue pops right off the melamine in my shop.

That's my experience also. Likewise hide glue.

That doesn't happen with mdf. :-)

Doesn't happen with Gorilla Glue on melamine, either...

Which kind of Gorilla glue. Urethane or white?

The urethane. That stuff sticks to *everything*.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/7/13 11:21 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/7/2013 10:23 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

This whole thing was pure poetry. It really needs to go on facebook.
hmmmmm..... :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/7/13 11:43 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/7/2013 10:41 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/7/13 8:48 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/6/2013 11:44 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

TBIII- certainly a different horse.
The melamine... well, I'm sure it was the "good stuff." :-)

I guess I should say, clean up is much easier.

Dried up standard yella glue pops right off the melamine in my shop.
That doesn't happen with mdf. :-)

Absolutely! I use a cabinet scraper to remove surface glue.

I had a line of about 15 dried glue drops that went from little to big
all in a straight line. When I ran my scraper along to pop them off, it
sounded like running a mallet down the muted keys of a small xylophone.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/7/2013 10:23 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Is she a good cook? That has to out weigh many other problems.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/7/13 11:46 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/7/2013 11:12 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
-MIKE- wrote in
:

I'm sure not all melamines nor glues are the same.
I guess I should say, clean up is much easier.
Dried up standard yella glue pops right off the melamine in my shop.

That's my experience also. Likewise hide glue.

That doesn't happen with mdf. :-)

Doesn't happen with Gorilla Glue on melamine, either...

Which kind of Gorilla glue. Urethane or white?

I can easily get Gorilla Glue White wood glue off providing it is not
holding a piece of wood to the melamine. ;~)

I think anyone who says, "gorilla glue" is talking about the
polyurethane stuff.
It's like saying "Kleenex."
Anyone who says "gorilla glue" when talking about the brand's plain wood
glue, needs to be spanked. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

And the four hundred plastic containers, none with a lid that fits,
ranks right up there.

If you want to come look through my wife's collection of lids you'll
probably find what you need.

What puzzles me is why they buy a raft of containers and then save stuff
like empty Cool Whip containers. 'tiz a puzzlement...

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/7/2013 12:23 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/7/2013 10:34 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
There's very little space in the drum room to get kits ready for travel,
so it generally spills out into the shop. I also have to load out drums
though the shop, out its garage door to the van/car. The table saw is
always in the way, since it sits near the garage door for obvious
reasons. The saw has to be collapsed, turned 90degrees, and pushed into
it's cubby that has other tools in it, when the saw is in use. (Remember
the game Tetris?) I could go on. :-)

Welcome to my world ... a world where doing just one thing requires
sixteen other things to be done first.

Remember the little hand-held tile puzzles? There'd be a small flat
square maybe 3" on a side with a 4x4 grid and 15 tiles. The objective
was to move the tiles around until you got the numbers in order, or made
a picture. In real life sometimes all sixteen slots are filled, but the
objective remains the same.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/7/2013 1:31 PM, knuttle wrote:

Is she a good cook? That has to out weigh many other problems.

You gotta be kidding ... she's from AR, where condiments, spices and
educational materials are not allowed to violate their soverign borders.

Verifiable by current participant hereabouts:

She was recently assigned "steaming" the vegetables for a dinner, with
company.

If you can call - 1/4 cup of water in the bottom of a vegetable steamer,
with the burner on MAX/BLOW TORCH, then running around a few minutes
later wondering where the hell all that smoke was coming from - cooking,
then you best believe that if I want to eat, I best cook it.

But, keeping in mind that the bass player usually only gets to see the
chick singer from behind, she sure did have cute buns ... and there's
always restaurants.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/7/2013 1:20 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

This whole thing was pure poetry. It really needs to go on facebook.
hmmmmm..... :-)

Hey, despite what you think, I'm not that old to not be worried about
being cut off ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...dShopRetrofit2...

That's not a workshop, that's a storage shed filled to the gills.
You're a homebuilder. Surely, you must have some bigger location you
use to stage your projects???

Nope ... except for two years while I rebuilt it after it flooded
one too
many times, and I moved it here temporarily:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/TempShop0.jpg

Which is not much bigger ... the first link above has been the shop
I've
built everything in for 12 years.

It ain't the size of the dog in the fight Bubba.

But it would certainly be a lot less frustrating and more efficient to
have more room.
I get so sick of moving everything in and out and around, just to use
another tool.

Then there's the fact that the shop doubles as my "ready area" for gigs.

What do you use the "ready area" for? Back before I was such an expert
woodworker I had a piece of furniture built to hold my (keyboard)
gear. It's effectively an armoire, only much deeper, and it's located
within 10' of the front door. Back when we were gigging heavily, that
was a real blessing.

I have 3 drum sets and I use each for different gigs/sessions. I don't
have the space to keep cases and hardware for all three, so a lot of
those things get shared.
The drum room is even more crowded than the shop. Each is two sides of a
(previously) 2 car garage. A previous owner converted one side into a
little den area (drum room).

Sounds like a problem that could be solved (or at least improved)
through woodworking. You can get a heck of a lot of drums in a cabinet
whose shelves are numerous and just the right distance apart. Or you
could scrap the whole lot and go electronic.

There's very little space in the drum room to get kits ready for travel,
so it generally spills out into the shop. I also have to load out drums
though the shop, out its garage door to the van/car.

That's one of the nice things about the "Keyboard Armoire"; it's
attractive enough that it doesn't need to be hidden in a part of the
house that's hard to get to. There were years that my gear went out and
came back in 100 times (a number that would have been higher if I hadn't
just left the equipment in the car between closely-spaced gigs) so it
saved me a great deal of work. I highly recommend the idea.

The table saw is
always in the way, since it sits near the garage door for obvious
reasons. The saw has to be collapsed, turned 90degrees, and pushed into
it's cubby that has other tools in it, when the saw is in use. (Remember
the game Tetris?) I could go on. :-)

I'm sure I would never have the patience for that. I'd be taking up the
harmonica instead.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/7/2013 2:22 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 1/7/2013 11:34 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

I have 3 drum sets and I use each for different gigs/sessions. I don't
have the space to keep cases and hardware for all three, so a lot of
those things get shared.
The drum room is even more crowded than the shop. Each is two sides of a
(previously) 2 car garage. A previous owner converted one side into a
little den area (drum room).

I'm sure I would never have the patience for that. I'd be taking up the
harmonica instead.

Awww, poor little ole drummers ... don't think I've ever been in a band
where one of us wouldn't finally take pity on the poor drummer and help
get his crap loaded in the van/bus, if nothing else just so we could
_finally_ get on the road to the next gig.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/7/13 1:58 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
Remember the little hand-held tile puzzles? There'd be a small flat
square maybe 3" on a side with a 4x4 grid and 15 tiles. The objective
was to move the tiles around until you got the numbers in order, or made
a picture.

That perfectly describes my experience when moving between woodworking
and music. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/7/13 2:22 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 1/7/2013 11:34 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
I have 3 drum sets and I use each for different gigs/sessions. I don't
have the space to keep cases and hardware for all three, so a lot of
those things get shared.
The drum room is even more crowded than the shop. Each is two sides of a
(previously) 2 car garage. A previous owner converted one side into a
little den area (drum room).

Sounds like a problem that could be solved (or at least improved)
through woodworking. You can get a heck of a lot of drums in a cabinet
whose shelves are numerous and just the right distance apart. Or you
could scrap the whole lot and go electronic.

The shelves are in place.
That other comment will be ignored because of my new year resolution to
be nicer.
My resolutions last about a week, you you just made the deadline. :-)

There's very little space in the drum room to get kits ready for travel,
so it generally spills out into the shop. I also have to load out drums
though the shop, out its garage door to the van/car.

That's one of the nice things about the "Keyboard Armoire"; it's
attractive enough that it doesn't need to be hidden in a part of the
house that's hard to get to. There were years that my gear went out and
came back in 100 times (a number that would have been higher if I hadn't
just left the equipment in the car between closely-spaced gigs) so it
saved me a great deal of work. I highly recommend the idea.

Rest of the house has steps. Worse problem. :-)
If I really wanted to waste some money, I'd use a cartage service and
not haul anything.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/7/2013 11:34 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

I have 3 drum sets and I use each for different gigs/sessions. I don't
have the space to keep cases and hardware for all three, so a lot of
those things get shared.
The drum room is even more crowded than the shop. Each is two sides of a
(previously) 2 car garage. A previous owner converted one side into a
little den area (drum room).

I'm sure I would never have the patience for that. I'd be taking up the
harmonica instead.

Awww, poor little ole drummers ... don't think I've ever been in a band
where one of us wouldn't finally take pity on the poor drummer and help
get his crap loaded in the van/bus, if nothing else just so we could
_finally_ get on the road to the next gig.

If only other were so nice. I love getting on the bus and looking around
for a set, only to find guitars taking up valuable butt space. Too
precious to go under the bus, I guess. My advise: discover the hard case.

I'm the first one at the gig and the last one out. Mostly, because I
don't want to be the last one set up... and I don't like having crap on
stage, in others' way.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/7/2013 4:50 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
Or you
could scrap the whole lot and go electronic.

The shelves are in place.
That other comment will be ignored because of my new year resolution to
be nicer. My resolutions last about a week, you you just made the deadline. :-)

Awww. I was tweaking you on purpose.

If electronic drums are insufficiently attractive, you could wrap them
in some nice cherry. Painted, of course.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
[...]

I actually have a 3, 15 gallon stainless steel set up which was all
gravity feed for all grain brewing. In the 80's I was winning
competitions in Seattle. To ferment an ale you want to be about 62-63
F. If your doing lager with lager yeast you need a controlled temp
cooler, although I used to do them in the shop where in a cupboard I
could keep them in the low 50'/40's. Just have to pick the right
yeast. Give it a try you may get hooked.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 14:14:42 -0600, Swingman wrote:
then you best believe that if I want to eat, I best cook it.

But, keeping in mind that the bass player usually only gets to see the
chick singer from behind, she sure did have cute buns ... and there's
always restaurants.

LOL it is amazing what you'll do to enjoy a good view. 8-) I don't
know if it's good or bad that all the equipment is still in good
working order. I would hate to know how much it's cost me over the
years.

Mke M

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 11:23:40 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 1/7/2013 10:34 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
There's very little space in the drum room to get kits ready for travel,
so it generally spills out into the shop. I also have to load out drums
though the shop, out its garage door to the van/car. The table saw is
always in the way, since it sits near the garage door for obvious
reasons. The saw has to be collapsed, turned 90degrees, and pushed into
it's cubby that has other tools in it, when the saw is in use. (Remember
the game Tetris?) I could go on. :-)

Welcome to my world ... a world where doing just one thing requires
sixteen other things to be done first.

Which can be so frustrating. And your not talking about picking up
hand tools it's more like a set change in broadway show.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/7/13 4:18 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 1/7/2013 4:50 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
Or you
could scrap the whole lot and go electronic.

The shelves are in place.
That other comment will be ignored because of my new year resolution to
be nicer. My resolutions last about a week, you you just made the
deadline. :-)

Awww. I was tweaking you on purpose.

If electronic drums are insufficiently attractive, you could wrap them
in some nice cherry. Painted, of course.

Perfect analogy.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
[...]

I have no doubt I'd get hooked. I like imperial stouts and ipa's, so
even though there'd be cost up front, I'm quite certain I'd end up
saving money based on what I spend for good high gravity beers. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/7/13 5:11 PM, Mike M wrote:
On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 14:14:42 -0600, Swingman wrote:
then you best believe that if I want to eat, I best cook it.

But, keeping in mind that the bass player usually only gets to see the
chick singer from behind, she sure did have cute buns ... and there's
always restaurants.

LOL it is amazing what you'll do to enjoy a good view. 8-) I don't
know if it's good or bad that all the equipment is still in good
working order. I would hate to know how much it's cost me over the
years.

Mke M

I had as good a view as one could possibly ask for on my last major gig.
Problem is, once they started talking, they got ugly fast. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 17:46:37 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 1/7/13 5:11 PM, Mike M wrote:
On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 14:14:42 -0600, Swingman wrote:
then you best believe that if I want to eat, I best cook it.

But, keeping in mind that the bass player usually only gets to see the
chick singer from behind, she sure did have cute buns ... and there's
always restaurants.

LOL it is amazing what you'll do to enjoy a good view. 8-) I don't
know if it's good or bad that all the equipment is still in good
working order. I would hate to know how much it's cost me over the
years.

Mke M

I had as good a view as one could possibly ask for on my last major gig.
Problem is, once they started talking, they got ugly fast. :-)

The fact that your hear says a lot of people won't float your boat.

Mike M

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 11:21:22 -0600, Swingman wrote:
Yep, that's a bone of contention around here ... that, and putting
things back where they belong in the kitchen (hate it when I burn a roux
because I have to go through a *dozen kitchen drawers for something
that's not in the drawer where it was last time).

I sort of experience the same thing every time my best friend's family
comes over for dinner. After dinner while we're relaxing, his wife
always goes and does the dishes.

While i'm appreciative of this cleaning up act, she also puts
everything away and I can't find some of it after that. So far to
date, a potato peeler, two steak knives, one glass and a dinner plate
have done missing. I've even looked in the garbage when items go
missing, but so far I've never been able to find any of it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 11:49:26 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
Naw,,, Hire a lawyer and he gets most of your winnings up front.

I was thinking of a lawyer in the context of all the leeching
relatives attempting to sue me for some of the winnings. But, you're
right in the sense that it's usually the lawyers that end up with a
significant amount of the money.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 14:37:43 -0500, "dadiOH"
If you want to come look through my wife's collection of lids you'll
probably find what you need.

What puzzles me is why they buy a raft of containers and then save stuff
like empty Cool Whip containers. 'tiz a puzzlement...

Guess it's a universal part of the human equation. Occasionally, I
watch the "hoarders" TV show. Damn, there's some screwed up people out
there.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/7/2013 11:21 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/7/2013 10:23 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
As soon as we clean out a kitchen cabinet and get rid of some stuff we
never use, SWMBO fills it with other stuff like it exists in a vacuum.
It's OK to have some space in there! The thing I hate the most is having
a bunch of different sized bowls stacked inside each other, like Russian
dolls. Or any other case of having to remove 7 items to get out the 1
you're using.

Yep, that's a bone of contention around here ... that, and putting
things back where they belong in the kitchen (hate it when I burn a roux
because I have to go through a *dozen kitchen drawers for something
that's not in the drawer where it was last time).

And the four hundred plastic containers, none with a lid that fits,
ranks right up there.

You can appreciate the thought that I shared with Kim a couple of night
ago. You can also probably imagine the look I got which also comes with
the VETO stamp.

I suggested eliminating the drawer above the "plastic stuff" cabinet.
Make that drawer front into a hinged opening to expose a chute to the
"plastic stuff" cabinet directly below.

For me this would eliminate the routine of opening the cabinet door and
tossing in the "plastic stuff" and closing the door before something
else falls out.

Why is it that the "plastic stuff" always has to be dried off after
being taken from the dishwasher. Only occasionally does anything else
have to be dried off. Why is it that "plastic stuff" never stays
stacked like everything else?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/8/2013 10:36 AM, Leon wrote:

For me this would eliminate the routine of opening the cabinet door and
tossing in the "plastic stuff" and closing the door before something
else falls out.

I lean toward when opening a cabinet door and something stuffed in falls
out as it opens, where it falls is where it stays. That includes the
refrigerator and medicine cabinet doors, much to the other two inmates
initial consternation. It took a few years of the act of asking politely
not working before resorting to that, but that method finally got some
results, most of the time.