Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Rediscovering the Wheel, repeatedly

On 1/7/2013 10:41 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/7/13 8:48 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/6/2013 11:44 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/5/13 11:06 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
**The Disposable Work Surface
These bookcases are my largest project to date, and my bench is too
small for it. I made a table from sawhorses, 2x4s and a couple of
pieces of MDF. It's a lot bigger than I'm used to, and I've been
keeping it uncluttered as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...57632376881493

I'm finding the "sacrificial" nature of the table a great boon.
Besides allowing me to screw down the dado jig to make it stationary,
it has spawned a couple of my other discoveries.

Next time, try melamine.
Glue doesn't stick to it and it's white, so it reflects light making it
easier to see stuff.

Well be careful with that assumption. Wood glue does not stick to
melamine as easily as it does to wood. but I have accidentally glued a
piece of wood to my TS melamine extension table and removing the wood
also removed the melamine.

I'm sure not all melamines nor glues are the same.

This was TB III not sure what quality of melamine. ;~)

I guess I should say, clean up is much easier.

Dried up standard yella glue pops right off the melamine in my shop.
That doesn't happen with mdf. :-)

Absolutely! I use a cabinet scraper to remove surface glue.