Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Answer from SawStop

"To answer your question: if there is a power failure while the saw is
running, the cartridge might stay powered for about 1-2 seconds at most
while its internal voltage falls off.

So under those conditions (saw coasting down, no power to saw at all)
touching the blade would not activate the safety system."

So here is how I read this. If the lights go out you try not to
continue sawing. In the event you are very close to the blade while
cutting and the power fails the blade is going to stop more quickly and
the brake may activate before the blade stops.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/6/2012 4:52 PM, Leon wrote:
"To answer your question: if there is a power failure while the saw is
running, the cartridge might stay powered for about 1-2 seconds at most
while its internal voltage falls off.

So under those conditions (saw coasting down, no power to saw at all)
touching the blade would not activate the safety system."

So here is how I read this. If the lights go out you try not to continue
sawing. In the event you are very close to the blade while cutting and
the power fails the blade is going to stop more quickly and the brake
may activate before the blade stops.

How so????...they just explicitly said "under those conditions...
touching the blade would not activate the safety system."

My reading is the sensor electronics may hang on for very short time but
again w/o power the likelihood of the fusible link firing is essentially
zero.

I'd guess there's also a decent chance the power transient may trash the
processor anyway, even if the absolute voltage Vcc hasn't dropped below
the Vmin threshold.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
"To answer your question: if there is a power failure while the saw is
running, the cartridge might stay powered for about 1-2 seconds at most
while its internal voltage falls off.

So under those conditions (saw coasting down, no power to saw at all)
touching the blade would not activate the safety system."

So here is how I read this. If the lights go out you try not to continue
sawing. In the event you are very close to the blade while cutting and
the power fails the blade is going to stop more quickly and the brake may
activate before the blade stops.

Hmmmm..... a product flaw that is ripe for lawsuit picking. In the scenario
where the power fails the workman cannot see to control the wood or keep
his/her hands clear of the blade and gets badly cut as the saw is winding
down. This problem was foreseeable and preventable... One or more large
capacitors, or a UPS (uninterruptable power supply) on the safety device
could have kept the safety device active for several seconds or more giving
the saw time to wind down and the user to safely remove their hands from the
danger area. Out lawyer the lawyer? ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/6/2012 5:28 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/6/2012 4:52 PM, Leon wrote:
"To answer your question: if there is a power failure while the saw is
running, the cartridge might stay powered for about 1-2 seconds at most
while its internal voltage falls off.

So under those conditions (saw coasting down, no power to saw at all)
touching the blade would not activate the safety system."

So here is how I read this. If the lights go out you try not to continue
sawing. In the event you are very close to the blade while cutting and
the power fails the blade is going to stop more quickly and the brake
may activate before the blade stops.

How so????...they just explicitly said "under those conditions...
touching the blade would not activate the safety system."

Power for one to two seconds to trip the brake is enough. I think if
you have a black out you are not likely to continue pushing your hand
towards the blade and if you do the wood should stop the blade.

Not as safe but a lot of things would have to go wrong besides the
lights and power going out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/6/2012 5:39 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2012 5:28 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/6/2012 4:52 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Why are you pushing your HAND toward the blade in the first place?

I'm going to misquote Wilbur Wright - If you want perfect safety
go sit on the fence... (but fasten a seat belt so you don't fall off!)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"To answer your question: if there is a power failure while the saw is
running, the cartridge might stay powered for about 1-2 seconds at most
while its internal voltage falls off.

So under those conditions (saw coasting down, no power to saw at all)
touching the blade would not activate the safety system."

So here is how I read this. If the lights go out you try not to
continue sawing. In the event you are very close to the blade while
cutting and the power fails the blade is going to stop more quickly and
the brake may activate before the blade stops.

How about those impatient souls who turn off the saw then get cut by
the coasting blade as they grab the cut-off piece of wood. Does the
safety system remain active for more than two seconds after the saw is
turned off?

--
G.W. Ross

Take my advice, I don't use it anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/6/2012 5:39 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2012 5:28 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/6/2012 4:52 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

I repeat their words...

"So under those conditions (saw coasting down, no power to saw at all)
touching the blade would not activate the safety system."

No power, no trip...

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/6/2012 6:06 PM, G. Ross wrote:

How about those impatient souls who turn off the saw then get cut by the
coasting blade as they grab the cut-off piece of wood. Does the safety
system remain active for more than two seconds after the saw is turned off?

This isn't turning the saw off; it's loss of power _to_ the
saw...totally different.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/6/2012 6:28 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/6/2012 4:52 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

remember this operates like a GFCI , I don't think it will trash it.
There is a chance that the moment b4 power loss, that this might think
this is grounded and fire w/remaining voltage. But doubtful.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/6/2012 5:59 PM, Richard wrote:
On 12/6/2012 5:39 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2012 5:28 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/6/2012 4:52 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Well what direction do you push your hand when cutting wood on a TS?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/6/2012 6:10 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/6/2012 5:39 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2012 5:28 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/6/2012 4:52 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Read his first paragraph. He is just covering his ass in the event that
does not work.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"To answer your question: if there is a power failure while the saw is
running, the cartridge might stay powered for about 1-2 seconds at most
while its internal voltage falls off.

So under those conditions (saw coasting down, no power to saw at all)
touching the blade would not activate the safety system."

So here is how I read this. If the lights go out you try not to
continue sawing. In the event you are very close to the blade while
cutting and the power fails the blade is going to stop more quickly and
the brake may activate before the blade stops.

How about those impatient souls who turn off the saw then get cut by the
coasting blade as they grab the cut-off piece of wood. Does the safety
system remain active for more than two seconds after the saw is turned off?

Yes the system is active after the motor is turned off and the blade is
still spinning.
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

So do you propose going after the power company? Under normal
circumstances the saw safety will work. If the lights go out and the
motor looses power I suspect no one will blame the saw should an
accident happen.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/6/2012 9:22 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2012 6:10 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/6/2012 5:39 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2012 5:28 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/6/2012 4:52 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Read his last words--he said it won't work reliable...which means it
doesn't work and isn't intended to work.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 21:20:55 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

Power for one to two seconds to trip the brake is enough. I think if you
have a black out you are not likely to continue pushing your hand
towards the blade and if you do the wood should stop the blade.

Why are you pushing your HAND toward the blade in the first place?

Well what direction do you push your hand when cutting wood on a TS?

I never push towards the blade. I push towards the back of the saw,
usually along the fence or holding a push block. NEVER in line with
the blade.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Power for one to two seconds to trip the brake is enough. I think if you
have a black out you are not likely to continue pushing your hand
towards the blade and if you do the wood should stop the blade.

Why are you pushing your HAND toward the blade in the first place?

Well what direction do you push your hand when cutting wood on a TS?

I never push towards the blade. I push towards the back of the saw,
usually along the fence or holding a push block. NEVER in line with
the blade.

But pushing towards the back of the saw is towards the blade. Not
directly but your hand actually comes closer when pushing. That is the
point I am making.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/6/2012 9:30 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/6/2012 9:22 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2012 6:10 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/6/2012 5:39 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2012 5:28 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/6/2012 4:52 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Does not work reliably = Does not work. Not in my world.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/7/2012 7:54 AM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2012 9:30 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/6/2012 9:22 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2012 6:10 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/6/2012 5:39 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2012 5:28 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/6/2012 4:52 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

When the designer/manufacturer says "would not activate the safety
system" I think he says exactly what he means. He didn't even say it
_might_ work; he said the event which is to be protected against "would
not activate the safety system". Can't get more clear than that.

Write him back w/ your "explanation" of how that isn't actually what he
said and see what he says in return...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/7/2012 8:11 AM, dpb wrote:
On 12/7/2012 7:54 AM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2012 9:30 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/6/2012 9:22 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2012 6:10 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/6/2012 5:39 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2012 5:28 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/6/2012 4:52 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Actually he did say it "might" work. copied from his reply,

if there is a power failure while the saw is running, the cartridge
might stay powered for about 1-2 seconds at most while its internal
voltage falls off.

Now granted any time after the 1~2 seconds you would be unprotected from
the spinning blade.

Again I read that as the stop might trigger at the moment after the
power failure but not after 1~2 seconds.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

No... poking fun at the flawless product...

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/7/2012 8:30 AM, Leon wrote:
On 12/7/2012 8:11 AM, dpb wrote:
On 12/7/2012 7:54 AM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2012 9:30 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/6/2012 9:22 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2012 6:10 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/6/2012 5:39 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2012 5:28 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/6/2012 4:52 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

The operative word there is "might"...and if the discussion stopped
there I might even tend to think he meant what you seem to want it to
mean. But, he didn't--he went on and said it won't actuate. Just
because it has some voltage that might keep the sensor electronics alive
for a while that doesn't mean it'll have enough current to actually blow
the fusible link when it wasn't designed for such.

You're stretching for some reason I've no clue of why it seems so
important to you.

I'm killing the thread now so I'm no longer tempted to respond any
longer...it's asinine. If you think there really is some way his words
are misinterpreted then follow up and ask for the clarification but I
think the odds are about Ivory pure that he'll tell you precisely what
I've done--the sensor electronics may live for a short time but there's
essentially no chance there's enough power to actually trigger the brake
once't you pull the plug.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/6/2012 5:39 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2012 5:28 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/6/2012 4:52 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Unless your nickname is "lefty", generally PARRALLEL to the blade.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/6/2012 5:39 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2012 5:28 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/6/2012 4:52 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

And yet if your hand does not come closer to the blade as you push,
regardless of of parallel or directly towards, you are not feeding the
wood. You hand has to move closer to the blade to feed.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/6/2012 5:39 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2012 5:28 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/6/2012 4:52 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

I never let my hands get anywhere near the table, much less the blade.

Make a few pushers, and use them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/6/2012 5:39 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2012 5:28 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/6/2012 4:52 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Surely your comment is a troll... But to address that, the table is not
going to hurt you, it is that round spinning thing that will. If you
don't understand that an accident is headed your way. Push sticks are
no safer than using your bare hand, something to hold down the work as
you push your wood through is by far safer in that they will further
help to prevent the front feed end of the work from lifting.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/7/2012 12:32 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/7/2012 8:30 AM, Leon wrote:
On 12/7/2012 8:11 AM, dpb wrote:
On 12/7/2012 7:54 AM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2012 9:30 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/6/2012 9:22 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2012 6:10 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/6/2012 5:39 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2012 5:28 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/6/2012 4:52 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Ok he said it might work for 1~2 seconds. BUT because it takes longer
for spin down to happen it is not going to protect during the whole spin
down time period, only the first 1~2 seconds.

Since you do not know what my question to him was, that may be the
problem. I asked if the saw would protect in the even of a power
failure. A simple answer of NO would have been sufficient if it would
not protect during a power failure. Because as he explained, the
cartridge might stay powered for about 1-2 seconds at most while its
internal voltage falls off, you might be protected for the second or two
after the power failure.

After that period of time you would not be protected during the
remainder of the coast down.

Either way, you are likely to be cut if every thing goes wrong but there
is a slight window of opportunity where you ge an extra second or two
that another brand saw would not afford you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 08 Dec 2012 08:36:04 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

[...]

In reality, how much protection do you need? Spin down of a blade
with no load takes a few seconds, a blade in the middle of a cut stops
quickly by comparison. I've had the lights go out. I just froze
until everything was quiet. Normal reaction time would still keep you
a good distance from the blade if you were still pushing.

Yes, things can go wrong and we can argue theory all day, but in real
life, I don't see it as a problem. Certainly not a deal beaker for
me.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/6/2012 5:39 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2012 5:28 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/6/2012 4:52 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Troll?

I'm not going to argue with you, Leon.
You do it your way.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/8/2012 8:36 AM, Leon wrote:

[...]

OK, I said I wouldn't but...

I spent a number of years designing, analyzing and licensing safety
systems for commercial reactors (amongst many other things alongst the
way; this was mostly early 10-15 yr).

If I had _ever_ written such an assessment of a functional safety system
or tried to weasel-word such testimony as a "might" to the ACRS
(Advisory Committee on Reactor Safeguards the ultimate technical body
that made the judgments on vendor issues before the NRC) it would
certainly have been deemed as "doesn't work" and we'd have had to start
over.

Not to mention, of course, my employer would have likely terminated me
before the hearing was over for such incompetence as to think somehow
that would be 'ok' for a safety system to perhaps work some of the time
or then again, maybe it won't.

IOW, from what (I presume Dr Gass) wrote, it's clear the scenario is
_not_ considered in the design and therefore it's almost purely
happenstance if it were to happen to actually trigger under those
circumstances. That, to me, is about as clear a "no" as it gets.

I think there's essentially no additional protection over any other saw
under those conditions. That's not to say it isn't a well-designed and
functional system for what the design _does_ include but there's no
point in trying to claim it's capable of something that isn't intended
on the basis of a random event occurring.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , lcb11211
@swbelldotnet says...
On 12/7/2012 12:32 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/7/2012 8:30 AM, Leon wrote:
On 12/7/2012 8:11 AM, dpb wrote:
On 12/7/2012 7:54 AM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2012 9:30 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/6/2012 9:22 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2012 6:10 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/6/2012 5:39 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2012 5:28 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/6/2012 4:52 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Why not write back to them/him, quote the explanation and say, "Is this
a yes or a no?" and end all speculation.
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

That's what I thought.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/8/2012 3:00 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/8/2012 8:36 AM, Leon wrote:

[...]

Now I think we are seeing it the same way. ;~) The explanation would
be similar to the selling the smoothness of the blade elevation wheel.
You can turn it by hand or give it a quick spin and it will spin a few
times on it's own. Not really a feature but something that might happen
if the stars align properly.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/9/2012 7:21 AM, phorbin wrote:
In article , lcb11211
@swbelldotnet says...
On 12/7/2012 12:32 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/7/2012 8:30 AM, Leon wrote:
On 12/7/2012 8:11 AM, dpb wrote:
On 12/7/2012 7:54 AM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2012 9:30 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/6/2012 9:22 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2012 6:10 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/6/2012 5:39 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2012 5:28 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/6/2012 4:52 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Because the answer would be yes if every thing and the timing is just
right for 1~2 seconds and no it would not work normally.
It is not a designed feature so it might or might not work.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/9/2012 7:58 AM, Leon wrote:

Now I think we are seeing it the same way. ;~) The explanation would be
similar to the selling the smoothness of the blade elevation wheel. You
can turn it by hand or give it a quick spin and it will spin a few times
on it's own. Not really a feature but something that might happen if the
stars align properly.

Glad to see you finally come around, Leon!!! vbg,d&r)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 9 Dec 2012 08:21:12 -0500, phorbin wrote:
Why not write back to them/him, quote the explanation and say, "Is this
a yes or a no?" and end all speculation.

And for you, why not trim over 120 lines of wasted text?
"Is this a yes or a no?" and end the speculation that you know what
you're doing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/9/2012 8:42 AM, dpb wrote:
On 12/9/2012 7:58 AM, Leon wrote:

Now I think we are seeing it the same way. ;~) The explanation would be
similar to the selling the smoothness of the blade elevation wheel. You
can turn it by hand or give it a quick spin and it will spin a few times
on it's own. Not really a feature but something that might happen if the
stars align properly.

Glad to see you finally come around, Leon!!! vbg,d&r)

--

;~O

Possible DeWalt workaround answer to the SawStop? Dave[_52_] Woodworking 11 July 22nd 12 02:57 PM
O/T: SawStop Lew Hodgett[_6_] Woodworking 77 February 1st 12 05:40 PM
Sawstop John UK diy 1 May 26th 10 01:20 PM
Sawstop Wilson Woodworking 7 November 26th 06 12:48 PM
SawStop tzipple Woodworking 110 February 5th 05 12:01 AM