Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Answer from SawStop

On 12/9/2012 7:21 AM, phorbin wrote:
In article , lcb11211
@swbelldotnet says...
On 12/7/2012 12:32 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/7/2012 8:30 AM, Leon wrote:
On 12/7/2012 8:11 AM, dpb wrote:
On 12/7/2012 7:54 AM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2012 9:30 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/6/2012 9:22 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2012 6:10 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/6/2012 5:39 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2012 5:28 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/6/2012 4:52 PM, Leon wrote:
"To answer your question: if there is a power failure while the
saw is
running, the cartridge might stay powered for about 1-2
seconds at
most
while its internal voltage falls off.

So under those conditions (saw coasting down, no power to saw at
all)
touching the blade would not activate the safety system."
So here is how I read this. If the lights go out you try not to
continue
sawing. In the event you are very close to the blade while
cutting
and
the power fails the blade is going to stop more quickly and the
brake
may activate before the blade stops.

How so????...they just explicitly said "under those conditions...
touching the blade would not activate the safety system."

Power for one to two seconds to trip the brake is enough. I
think if
you
have a black out you are not likely to continue pushing your hand
towards the blade and if you do the wood should stop the blade.

I repeat their words...

"So under those conditions (saw coasting down, no power to
saw at
all)
touching the blade would not activate the safety system."

No power, no trip...

--

Read his first paragraph. He is just covering his ass in the event
that

Read his last words--he said it won't work reliable...which means it
doesn't work and isn't intended to work.

Does not work reliably = Does not work. Not in my world.

When the designer/manufacturer says "would not activate the safety
system" I think he says exactly what he means. He didn't even say it
_might_ work; he said the event which is to be protected against "would
not activate the safety system". Can't get more clear than that.

Actually he did say it "might" work. copied from his reply,

if there is a power failure while the saw is running, the cartridge
might stay powered for about 1-2 seconds at most while its internal
voltage falls off.

Now granted any time after the 1~2 seconds you would be unprotected from
the spinning blade.

Again I read that as the stop might trigger at the moment after the
power failure but not after 1~2 seconds.

The operative word there is "might"...and if the discussion stopped
there I might even tend to think he meant what you seem to want it to
mean. But, he didn't--he went on and said it won't actuate. Just
because it has some voltage that might keep the sensor electronics alive
for a while that doesn't mean it'll have enough current to actually blow
the fusible link when it wasn't designed for such.

You're stretching for some reason I've no clue of why it seems so
important to you.

I'm killing the thread now so I'm no longer tempted to respond any
longer...it's asinine. If you think there really is some way his words
are misinterpreted then follow up and ask for the clarification but I
think the odds are about Ivory pure that he'll tell you precisely what
I've done--the sensor electronics may live for a short time but there's
essentially no chance there's enough power to actually trigger the brake
once't you pull the plug.

--

Ok he said it might work for 1~2 seconds. BUT because it takes longer
for spin down to happen it is not going to protect during the whole spin

Since you do not know what my question to him was, that may be the
problem. I asked if the saw would protect in the even of a power
failure. A simple answer of NO would have been sufficient if it would
not protect during a power failure. Because as he explained, the
cartridge might stay powered for about 1-2 seconds at most while its
internal voltage falls off, you might be protected for the second or two
after the power failure.

After that period of time you would not be protected during the
remainder of the coast down.

Either way, you are likely to be cut if every thing goes wrong but there
is a slight window of opportunity where you ge an extra second or two
that another brand saw would not afford you.

Why not write back to them/him, quote the explanation and say, "Is this
a yes or a no?" and end all speculation.

Because the answer would be yes if every thing and the timing is just
right for 1~2 seconds and no it would not work normally.
It is not a designed feature so it might or might not work.