Posted to rec.woodworking
Richard[_9_] Richard[_9_] is offline

Default Answer from SawStop

On 12/7/2012 7:11 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/7/2012 3:11 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 21:20:55 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 12/6/2012 5:59 PM, Richard wrote:
On 12/6/2012 5:39 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2012 5:28 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/6/2012 4:52 PM, Leon wrote:
"To answer your question: if there is a power failure while the
saw is
running, the cartridge might stay powered for about 1-2 seconds
at most
while its internal voltage falls off.

So under those conditions (saw coasting down, no power to saw at
all)
touching the blade would not activate the safety system."

So here is how I read this. If the lights go out you try not to
continue
sawing. In the event you are very close to the blade while
cutting and
the power fails the blade is going to stop more quickly and the
brake
may activate before the blade stops.

How so????...they just explicitly said "under those conditions...
touching the blade would not activate the safety system."

Power for one to two seconds to trip the brake is enough. I think
if you
have a black out you are not likely to continue pushing your hand
towards the blade and if you do the wood should stop the blade.

Why are you pushing your HAND toward the blade in the first place?

Well what direction do you push your hand when cutting wood on a TS?

Unless your nickname is "lefty", generally PARRALLEL to the blade.

And yet if your hand does not come closer to the blade as you push,
regardless of of parallel or directly towards, you are not feeding the
wood. You hand has to move closer to the blade to feed.

I never let my hands get anywhere near the table, much less the blade.

Make a few pushers, and use them.