Posted to rec.woodworking

Default eWoodShop - Mission Bar Stool - project start?

Moving off a far distant, furthermost back burner, and toward a back
burner closer to the front, is a personal bar stool project:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...ssionBarStool#

Although buying project wood is usually a sure sign that a project will
be started in earnest, and finished (I have never not finished a project
started), there is only enough wood in the photo to make the legs for
two, of four anticipated, bar stools (on this visit there was not enough
_suitable_ white oak, in stock at this particular hardwood lumber
supplier, to purchase any more than what you see here).

With some species of domestic lumber becoming harder to find, and their
high prices these days, it is damned nigh impossible to compete with
"factory made" tables and chairs ... AAMOF, it is highly probable that
one would save money by going to Stickley, or The Amish Craftsman, and
just buying the damned things ... that is if some of us weren't so stubborn.

What the hell, you only live once ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/27/2012 2:34 PM, Swingman wrote:
[...]

Cool design!

If it makes you feel any better, I looked pretty closely at some Mission
style Stickley furniture at Lewis Shanks Furniture 6~7 years ago and
while it looks like pretty from the "sell side" the back sides of the
chests had a MUCH less than desirable look. Inside the drawers were not
impressive either.
Posted to rec.woodworking

If you'll be trick or treating in my neighborhood, I could unload some white oak on you. I've never worked with WO and, 2 yrs ago, I inherited quite a bit of it.... it's just stacked there waiting for a/someone's project to come along. Your bar stools look like a neat project.

Yesterday, I went out to the farm and started tearing down an old cypress house. Got the roof off. The roof rafters seems to have once been hand hewn beams, later sawn into rafters. The cross boards, for attaching the original wooden shingles, are split boards, rather than sawn. Unusual lumber and should make for some nice rustic pieces. Will go back out this morning to salvage more - ceiling joists, wall boards (1X stock) and hopefully flooring and floor joists. Tommorrow (Monday), the area will be dozed for expanding the rice fields, so we'll need to work fast, today.

On a sad note: The neighboring farmer, while harvesting his cotton, his cotton picker exploded (several explosions) and caught fire. Never like to see a neighbor have those kinds of accidents. Initial, I wasn't aware of the problem, a tree line was between us, so not sure if the driver was injured.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote:

If you'll be trick or treating in my neighborhood, I could unload some
white oak on you. I've never worked with WO and, 2 yrs ago, I
inherited quite a bit of it.... it's just stacked there waiting for
a/someone's project to come along. Your bar stools look like a neat
project.
Machine a piece of that white oak, especially quarter sawn,
then apply some boiled linseed oil cut with some turps.

You can also use mineral spirits, I just like the smell of turps.

Wait a couple of days before rubbing out.

Might surprize yourself.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/31/2012 12:35 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Machine a piece of that white oak, especially quarter sawn,
then apply some boiled linseed oil cut with some turps.

You can also use mineral spirits, I just like the smell of turps.

Wait a couple of days before rubbing out.

Might surprize yourself.

Amazing what just sanding and applying shellac will do with QS oak of
any kind ... look at the _insides_ of these QS red oak drawer sides,
nothing but a shellac topocoat:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...30901725011202

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 13:36:47 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 10/31/2012 12:35 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Machine a piece of that white oak, especially quarter sawn,
then apply some boiled linseed oil cut with some turps.

You can also use mineral spirits, I just like the smell of turps.

Wait a couple of days before rubbing out.

Might surprize yourself.

Amazing what just sanding and applying shellac will do with QS oak of
any kind ... look at the _insides_ of these QS red oak drawer sides,
nothing but a shellac topocoat:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...30901725011202

Pretty! Quite yellow, too. Did you use lemon shellac? I bought
blonde bug spit for my own use (preferring clearcoats on everything),
but for an A&C piece, I'd probably have selected a garnet shellac to
blend with the outer color. "Porque you no stain the drawer pieces,
too, señor?" asked the cat.

--
It is easier to fool people than it is to
convince people that they have been fooled.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Pretty! Quite yellow, too. Did you use lemon shellac? I bought
blonde bug spit for my own use (preferring clearcoats on everything),
but for an A&C piece, I'd probably have selected a garnet shellac to
blend with the outer color.

Amber ... Right outta the Binsser can, cut to 1 1/2lb.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

I'll have to try some BLO and shellac on a sample piece of white oak.

Last (red) oak project I did was probably 20-25 yrs ago, this chair
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4383614...in/photostream
I don't recall what I put on it. This chair, at Mom's house, is a favorite at the family reunions.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
I'll have to try some BLO and shellac on a sample piece of white oak.

Last (red) oak project I did was probably 20-25 yrs ago, this chair
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4383614...in/photostream
I don't recall what I put on it. This chair, at Mom's house, is a
favorite at the family reunions.

Sonny

Gorgeous!

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 18:32:44 -0500, Swingman wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Pretty! Quite yellow, too. Did you use lemon shellac? I bought
blonde bug spit for my own use (preferring clearcoats on everything),
but for an A&C piece, I'd probably have selected a garnet shellac to
blend with the outer color.

Amber ... Right outta the Binsser can, cut to 1 1/2lb.

Thassum yella ****, Maynard. But you don't have to worry, do you?
You're color-blonde. g

--
It is easier to fool people than it is to
convince people that they have been fooled.
--Mark Twain

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 17:15:34 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

I'll have to try some BLO and shellac on a sample piece of white oak.

Last (red) oak project I did was probably 20-25 yrs ago, this chair
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4383614...in/photostream
I don't recall what I put on it. This chair, at Mom's house, is a favorite at the family reunions.

Why are the armrests shaped differently, Sonny?

--
It is easier to fool people than it is to
convince people that they have been fooled.
--Mark Twain
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 7:32:33 PM UTC-6, Larry Jaques wrote:
Why are the armrests shaped differently, Sonny? --

They are both the same, tilted about 15° or so. I experimented with this rocker, for Mom's large front porch. I always liked sitting out there, relaxing. I was trying this design. It works great, except when you have a cup of coffee or other drink. You can't simply rest the cup on the arm, as with a straight armrest. Folks are impressed with the look and the seating is really comfortable, but the armrest function is lacking because of the tilt. You have to "guard" any drink you have. I do have another chair, in the works, and these armrests will not be tilted.

BTW, the seat design is very similar to a porch swing seat, it just has "legs" added to it. And this is also the basic seat design of the child's loveseat rockers I've made for school, etc. fund raisers.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 19:00:52 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 7:32:33 PM UTC-6, Larry Jaques wrote:
Why are the armrests shaped differently, Sonny? --

They are both the same, tilted about 15° or so.

I guess the angle of the shot prevents me from seeing the notch on the
right arm you have on the left arm. But it looked like the left had a
circular and end while the right had a convex curved oval end. Bad
perspective from a single shot, I guess.

I experimented with this rocker, for Mom's large front porch. I always liked sitting out there, relaxing. I was trying this design. It works great, except when you have a cup of coffee or other drink. You can't simply rest the cup on the arm, as with a straight armrest. Folks are impressed with the look and the seating is really comfortable, but the armrest function is lacking because of the tilt. You have to "guard" any drink you have. I do have another chair, in the works, and these armrests will not be tilted.

Hey, a drink holder bolted to the bottom of either armrest would be
just the ticket, I'd think.

BTW, the seat design is very similar to a porch swing seat, it just has "legs" added to it. And this is also the basic seat design of the child's loveseat rockers I've made for school, etc. fund raisers.

It's a nice design. How comfy is it?

--
It is easier to fool people than it is to
convince people that they have been fooled.
--Mark Twain
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 8:10:48 PM UTC-6, Larry Jaques wrote:
I guess the angle of the shot prevents me from seeing the notch on the right arm you have on the left arm. But it looked like the left had a circular and end while the right had a convex curved oval end.

Not sure what notch you're speaking of, but I'll take detail pics of the whole chair next time I visit, possibly today, more likely tommorrow.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default eWoodShop - Mission Bar Stool - Leg top Bevels ... dress right,dress!

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...56043527134674

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 02 Dec 2012 19:45:47 -0600, Swingman wrote:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...56043527134674

Hi Karl. Can you tell me how you bent this wood? Thanks
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...hopMissionBarS
tool#5817456043527134674

+1! How did you do that?

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/2/2012 8:03 PM, Dave wrote:
Hi Karl. Can you tell me how you bent this wood? Thanks

Not bent, band saw and pattern bit on a router table:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...65305303561778

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...52927056371682

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...10 2887739186

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
http://gplus.to/eWoodShop
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/2/2012 8:05 PM, Han wrote:
Swingman wrote in

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...hopMissionBarS
tool#5817456043527134674

+1! How did you do that?

How did I do what?

If you mean those bevels ... simple: a Jig and a miter saw.

ALWAYS think JIG!

(Basically, there is nothing that can't be done if you can imagenineer a
jig to do it).

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
http://gplus.to/eWoodShop
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 02 Dec 2012 19:45:47 -0600, Swingman wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...56043527134674

If you look at Karl's sig he has added a web site that I think will do
well for him. His pictures really make the spaces look huge.

Mike M

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 02 Dec 2012 20:13:15 -0600, Swingman wrote:
Not bent, band saw and pattern bit on a router table:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...10 2887739186

Well, they give the illusion of being bent. Nice work!
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
:

On 12/2/2012 8:05 PM, Han wrote:
Swingman wrote in

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...dShopMissionBa
rS tool#5817456043527134674

+1! How did you do that?

How did I do what?

If you mean those bevels ... simple: a Jig and a miter saw.

ALWAYS think JIG!

(Basically, there is nothing that can't be done if you can imagenineer
a jig to do it).

I get it. Some day I'll get a miter saw. Too many tools already (for
the size of the workshop). Memo to self: Organize stuff ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/3/2012 7:49 AM, Han wrote:

I get it. Some day I'll get a miter saw

Not all that necessary. For years and years the only "miter saw" I had
was a miter box and a good hand miter saw:

http://makeprojects.com/Project/Make...ter+Box/1573/1

AAMOF, when I do the final, onsite trimout of a cabinet or built-in, I
still prefer to use one over a miter saw. Don't need to lug it about,
don't need power, can use it in cramped quarters, quieter, and easier to
clean up the less mess.

Some day I'll get a miter saw. Too many tools already (for
the size of the workshop). Memo to self: Organize stuff ...

I feel your pain ... Leon asked me the other day why I didn't have a 12"
disc sander like his?

Simple: have no place to put one.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
http://gplus.to/eWoodShop
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
:

http://makeprojects.com/Project/Make...ith+a+Miter+Bo
x/1573/1

AAMOF, when I do the final, onsite trimout of a cabinet or built-in, I
still prefer to use one over a miter saw. Don't need to lug it about,
don't need power, can use it in cramped quarters, quieter, and easier
to clean up the less mess.

Some day I'll get a miter saw. Too many tools already (for
the size of the workshop). Memo to self: Organize stuff ...

I feel your pain ... Leon asked me the other day why I didn't have a
12" disc sander like his?

Simple: have no place to put one.

Thanks !

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 08:05:07 -0600, Swingman wrote:
http://makeprojects.com/Project/Make...ter+Box/1573/1

Had one of those for awhile, then upgraded a few years ago to a bigger
brother.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,42884,43836

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/2/2012 9:03 PM, Dave wrote:
On Sun, 02 Dec 2012 19:45:47 -0600, Swingman wrote:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...56043527134674

Hi Karl. Can you tell me how you bent this wood? Thanks

nice work there Swingman, but just out of curiousity did you cut these
chamfers on the tablesaw? how'd you get the bent leg section out of the
way, raise the leg off the top, or did you cut w/the leg vertical?

You and Leon and your festools... do you get a kickback from Festool for
showing all your festools?????
Got any spares to prove to me how good they are???? :-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/3/2012 4:08 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
On 12/2/2012 9:03 PM, Dave wrote:
On Sun, 02 Dec 2012 19:45:47 -0600, Swingman wrote:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...56043527134674

Hi Karl. Can you tell me how you bent this wood? Thanks

nice work there Swingman, but just out of curiousity did you cut these
chamfers on the tablesaw? how'd you get the bent leg section out of the
way, raise the leg off the top, or did you cut w/the leg vertical?

Used one of the complementary angle cutoffs from one of the legs, and a
piece of plywood, to make a miter saw jig:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...61841910217602

The jig is clamped to the table of a miter saw (Makita LS1013), and
against the fence to make two of the chamfer/bevels (one cut on each
side of the jig, on the dogleg faces).

1. Setup the jig up with the blade 45 right, cut one side/face of all
the legs.

2 Swing the blade to 45 left, reposition the jig, and cut the opposite
side/face of all the legs.

3 & 4 The remaining two chamfer/bevels on each leg, those on the faces
without the dogleg, can actually be made on the miter saw table, and
against the fence, with the blade in either 45 orientation, and without
a jig.

You and Leon and your festools... do you get a kickback from Festool for
showing all your festools?????
Got any spares to prove to me how good they are???? :-)

Couple of reasons, so happens they're in constant use, so they simply
show up in photo backgrounds ... and it's also a function of a small
shop (306 SF).

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
http://gplus.to/eWoodShop
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

eWoodShop - Hutch End Cabinets 2010 Swingman Woodworking 35 October 12th 11 03:41 PM
Mission Style Mantel and TV Wall Project Evodawg Woodworking 28 March 24th 10 12:15 AM
Step Stool Project Rocky Woodworking 3 February 27th 07 02:33 AM
NEED MONEY TO START THAT NEW PROJECT, I FOUND THE WAY robert Home Repair 0 June 13th 06 08:44 AM
plans for mission or shaker bar stool? david Woodworking 13 December 19th 04 01:22 AM